Mixing different brands of 0W-20 Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been on this site in a long time and I hate to ask a question that has been previously answered somewhere on here however a search does not yield any results. Is ti okay to mix different brands of full synthetic of the same viscosity. I've done it over the years many times with conventional and have had no problems. Thanks.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, same as conventional. Been doing it for years on my 01 Tacoma and runs fine with 166K. Just a little concerned about mixing synthetic in my 13 Tundra.

Use this mix during the warmer months.
It will not likely meet the 0W qualification.

Has some of each on hand but not enough of either for a full change?
This is the best and only reason to mix oils IMO.

Correct. I buy the major brands when on sale and often don't have enough of one or another to complete an oil change in my truck or my daughters Mitsubishi Lancer.

Thanks. I might change my user name to SirMixAlot.
grin.gif

Mix away but bear in mind that you have no idea of what the grade of the mix is as well as the API or other spec it might or might not meet.
By the standard of avoiding engine death, a mix will almost always be fine.
By the standard of providing the viscosity grade specified for your engine it probably won't be and the required API or other spec might or might not be met by the mix.
If I have a few odd quarts to get rid of, I'll run a shortish OCI on a mix, but only during the warmer months.
The OPEs also absorb at least some of the leftovers.
There is nothing less picky than an OPE.

Yeah. I'm talking about mixing synthetics with the same viscosity and API grade such as Castrol, Mobil, Sunoco, etc. My Tundra and my daughters car both use 0W-20. All are dextros approved. If it meets or exceeds the requirements as stated in the owners manual, I would think I'm okay.

Last edited:
If you're a quart (or more) low, it's better to have a different brand of oil than no oil at all! Even a slightly different viscosity is better than blowing an engine. If it's less than a quart, it will have almost no effect on the overall viscosity.

Last edited:
I'm not mixing viscosities. Just mixing major brands that are supposed to have the same requirements as stated in the owners manual. In my Tacoma, I have mixed 5W and 10W 30 conventional but both both viscosities are acceptable as per the owners manual.

The same viscosity is even better. Most major brands are extremely close, especially synthetics. The PQIA testing proves that.

Originally Posted By: TheBus36
I'm not mixing viscosities. Just mixing major brands that are supposed to have the same requirements as stated in the owners manual. In my Tacoma, I have mixed 5W and 10W 30 conventional but both both viscosities are acceptable as per the owners manual.

You're not mixing viscosities, though you are mixing different additive packages. I'd at least try to keep them in the same family.

That means mix away the Pennzoil, Quaker State, Castrol. But keep those separate from the Valvoline/Napa and also the Mobil 1's. Those are 3 very different add packs. I'd try to keep them in the same family....ie high calcium, magnesium, or sodium. No, your engine won't blow up if they're mixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back