Brutal Heat & Humidity...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently at The Casa:

Outdoor ambient: 96°F
Outdoor Dew Point: 81°F
Outdoor Rh: 62% (down from 82% this morning...)
Wind: Solar Radiation level: 600W/M^2
Heat Index: 119°F
Solar Heat Index: 131°F

Holy Cow !!

I'll bet it's cooler at the Texas Gulf Beach...

Fortunately indoors:

Temp: 77°F
RH: 44%

It's been cooler and rainier than normal up here in New York.
I used the AC for 3 days last week and that's been it so far this year.

I stupidly decided to mow the lawn this afternoon here in OK. Nearly had a heat stroke.

The 81 dewpoint is the morale killer. We managed a low 70's dewpoint here last summer and people weren't into working all that hard.

Yea, 81 dew point with 90+ degrees? That is so much moisture in the air. I bet it feels like a steam room. We get 60 degree dews from time to time and it's like a different planet compared to the usual 20 degree dews.

Last edited:
Drew99GT, it's like walking outside and getting slapped in the face with a hot, wet carpet.

We haven't cleared 95 here yet this summer, but it's on the way.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I"m not a scientist; is that hot?

Scientists don't use the F-word.

That's why a pool comes in handy this time of year. Miserable summers.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I"m not a scientist; is that hot?

Scientists don't use the F-word.

well said, and just for that i'll run those temps through a quick conversion to Dungarees Science: in RED

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Currently at The Casa:

Outdoor ambient: 96°F 35.5°C
Outdoor Dew Point: 81°F 27.2°C
Outdoor Rh: 62% (down from 82% this morning...)
Wind: 4.82kph
Solar Radiation level: 600W/M^2
Heat Index: 119°F 48.3°C
Solar Heat Index: 131°F 55°C

Holy Cow !!

I'll bet it's cooler at the Texas Gulf Beach...

Fortunately indoors:

Temp: 77°F 25°C
RH: 44%

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Yep and it was cloudy in central Texas today also.

hey, quick question about august in your neck of the woods...

My friends Little brother enlisted in the army, starting Boot camp on Tuesday.
I had considered driving my friend to the graduation, which should be early august. (9 weeks)
he's at Ft.Sill (Lawton,OK)

reasons i would want to go?
1) I miss the Drive, until last summer my brother lived in DFW, and we would always drive down in early october to visit,he moved back home..
2)because of those trips, I know the way to get 95% of the way to Ft. Sill, including the good places to stay...
3) My car Has working...everything. his, no where near close, esp on the A/C front...

so yeah, just how brutal,typically, should we be expecting?

Originally Posted By: earlyre

I had considered driving my friend to the graduation, which should be early august. (9 weeks)

1) I miss the Drive, until last summer my brother lived in DFW, and we would always drive down in early october to visit,he moved back home..
2)because of those trips, I know the way to get 95% of the way to Ft. Sill, including the good places to stay...
3) My car Has working...everything. his, no where near close, esp on the A/C front...

Never been that deep into Oklahoma, Lawton looks to be north of Wichita Falls TX. You are a good 6 hours north of where I live.

I have no problem with heat and was born in Buffalo, lived there for 30 years.

I would expect 90's, might touch 100's in certain areas, but not much more than that.

Pack lots of sun screen, and drink a ton of water.

Its not too bad everything is air conditioned. Test your car's battery before the trip and you should be fine. Cars eat batteries down here like crazy, its like nothing I seen coming from NY.

Climate is going to be different, sometimes we get sea breeze from the gulf, sometimes not. Expect everything to be brown by august.

Originally Posted By: RichardS
Drew99GT, it's like walking outside and getting slapped in the face with a hot, wet carpet.

We haven't cleared 95 here yet this summer, but it's on the way.

my good laugh for the nite before SNL! lol thanx

Originally Posted By: earlyre

Never been that deep into Oklahoma, Lawton looks to be north of Wichita Falls TX. You are a good 6 hours north of where I live.

I have no problem with heat and was born in Buffalo, lived there for 30 years.

I would expect 90's, might touch 100's in certain areas, but not much more than that.

Pack lots of sun screen, and drink a ton of water.

Its not too bad everything is air conditioned. Test your car's battery before the trip and you should be fine. Cars eat batteries down here like crazy, its like nothing I seen coming from NY.

Climate is going to be different, sometimes we get sea breeze from the gulf, sometimes not. Expect everything to be brown by august.

You are so correct as I was stationed briefly at NSI Ingleside base and it got high 90's regularly. Water, eating right and working out and staying hydrated are your friends.

Wish I was still in Corpus Christi TX.

Hey buddy-Corpus Christi is where I grew up - I'm a Corpuscle at heart!

Lived there from 1965 to 1990 with some breaks in the 80's, then lived in Live Oak county just an hour away from 1990 -2000.

Glad to be back close again, still have some family & friends there.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Hey buddy-Corpus Christi is where I grew up - I'm a Corpuscle at heart!

Lived there from 1965 to 1990 with some breaks in the 80's, then lived in Live Oak county just an hour away from 1990 -2000.

Glad to be back close again, still have some family & friends there.

Good to hear, I don't mind southwest PA not too humid or hot
wink.gif

Currently at The Casa:

Outdoor ambient: 80°F
Outdoor Dew Point: 78°F
Outdoor Rh: 95%
Wind: 0 MPH
Heat Index: 88°F

Indoors:
73°F
Humidity: 40%

Today is an excellent example of why latent heat removal is so important down here. This isn't Arizona.

Barometer is currently 29.77" and rising like a rocket! Therefore, that front from the WNW is beginning to make its presence known.
T-stat reduced from 78 earlier to 76 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back