Chevy Brake pedal relearn/reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know the cut and dry method to reset/relearn the brake pedal sensor for a 2011 Chevy Cruze?

I had a P057C fault and replaced the brake pedal sensor.

I pulled this info from a TSB but i still can't get the code to clear up. I dont have the MDI/GDS.

So i just clear the fault and go to 6.2 Pedal playing.

Perform a Brake Pedal Position Sensor Calibration.
Note: Do not apply the brake pedal during the brake pedal position (BPP) sensor calibration procedure. Any movement of the brake pedal during this procedure will cause the calibration procedure to fail. If this occurs, the sensor calibration must be repeated. Brake pedal position (BPP) sensor calibration must be performed after the BAS switch or body control module (BCM) have been serviced. The calibration procedure will set the sensor home value. This value is used by the BCM to determine the action of the driver applying the brake system and to provide this information to the vehicle subsystems via serial data.

5.1. Apply and slowly release the brake pedal two times.
5.2. Apply the parking brake.
5.3. Place the transmission gear selector in the "P" PARK position.
5.4. Connect MDI and GDS.
5.5. Clear all BCM diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs).
5.6. Navigate to the Vehicle Control Systems menu.
5.7. Select Module Setup menu item.
5.8. Select BCM menu item.

5.9. Select the BPP Sensor Calibration procedure and follow the directions displayed on the screen
Perform ECM BAS Home Learn Procedure.
6.1. Put the ignition key in the RUN position (no crank).

6.2. Apply and slowly release the brake pedal two times and then wait 2 seconds.

6.3. Repeat Step 6.2 eight times.

Looking around on Google, it seems some people are just replacing these and getting lucky that the code clears. Since that doesn't appear to be the case with yours I'd bet you have one of two conditions:

There is still a fault (the sensor wasn't it, maybe there is a short in the wiring somewhere).
Your new sensor is operating in a different range than the old sensor was, leading the BCM to continue to trigger the fault code.

Either way, I think you are in for a trip to the dealer. Without the service tool telling the BCM to look for a new sensor, you are just applying the brake pedal a bunch of times. I'm not sure if this component is covered by the 6Y/60K powertrain warranty or not. Might be worth looking into.

Maybe its me learning to use my new scan tool. I have a Autel handheld, when i scan the car for codes i get 3 options: pending, stored, permanent. Nothing in pending or stored but only in permanent.

Brake lights work, no CEL but fault is stored. I'm going to ask my brother to bring his phone for so i can use torque pro.

Its out of warranty at 70k miles.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
Maybe its me learning to use my new scan tool. I have a Autel handheld, when i scan the car for codes i get 3 options: pending, stored, permanent. Nothing in pending or stored but only in permanent.

Brake lights work, no CEL but fault is stored. I'm going to ask my brother to bring his phone for so i can use torque pro.

Its out of warranty at 70k miles.

DTC's are actually Pending, history or current. You cannot do the relearn unless you have an MDI. If you were nearby I would do it for you. But - since the code is not turning on the light, don't worry about it as it should clear itself after a set # of key cycles. You may get lucky and not have to relearn - but I would if you can find the means because it is part of the service procedure for a reason.

Code is gone, i think it could have been once of those driving things.

I took the car to work and back home, scanned the codes and it was cleared out. Drove it around for the rest of the week and no more code in the "permanent" section.

Maybe this could help someone out.

P057C code after you replace the brake pedal sensor ($15, 1 hard to reach bolt holding it) just clear the code and drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back