Olm went off already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriends Dodge Dart the 1.4t in my signature is saying to change the oil already. It's at 6500 miles. I had in it 5w40 valvoline synpower. Is that normal for the olm? I would have assumed it would have done longer she drive 45 mins highway to work. Virtually no city driving it's all highway . Should i just change it?

Small 4 banger turbo at 6500 miles, sounds about the right time to change it.

Being a turbo owner and haven cared for a few I'd agree, change it. Do an oil analysis if you really want to know.
Turbos heat oil and bad things result.

Is this engine known for fuel dilution, as many of these small turbo, direct injection I assume, are? If so, definitely change it, and maybe sooner the next time.

6500 ODO or 6500 miles on the oil? Is engine broken in? If first 6500 (6500 odo) I would say that oil is toast. Break in kills oil fast. At least it would only shear to a light 30 grade
smile.gif

Some OLMs are very conservative. I can go %50 longer than the OLM on my Malibu suggests. Only an oil analysis will reveal the oil's condition. Spend the money, we all like to see a UOA posted here!

As a fellow turbo owner, I highly recommend changing the oil and doing a UOA. Figure out what the engine is doing and go from there. Generally speaking I think OLMs are pretty accurate these days, but they don't measure actual conditions in the engine. They don't know what oil you're using or if there are problems such as fuel dilution.

If the ULA shows the oil is still good, at minimum you know the OLM is a good measure for your GF's driving habits.

I will keep an eye on this myself. We now have a '14 Fusion with a 4-cylinder turbocharged engine. It was bought used from a Ford dealer, which did an oil change while they had it. I still changed the oil myself recently, well before it was due, per the OLM. Will see how long it goes....

Our previous vehicle, an '05 Odyssey, routinely went 7500-8000 miles before the OLM said to change the oil and this was 80% city driving too.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Yep, the OLM in that turbo car is more conservative compared to the NA Dart engine.

Would you change the filter every time then as well? It's a $20 filter

Originally Posted By: dishdude

+1
smile.gif

I'd prolly go 2 oil changes per filter
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ram_man
Would you change the filter every time then as well? It's a $20 filter

$8.62, WIX filter, from Amazon or $5.42 (WIX) from RockAuto. If you want to buy locally, presuming you have O'Reilly around, they are $9.99 there.

I believe the recommendation for my small displacement turbo was a 7500 mile OCI when I bought it, and then the next model year they dropped it to 6000 with the same engine. I do mine every 5000.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
Is this engine known for fuel dilution, as many of these small turbo, direct injection I assume, are? If so, definitely change it, and maybe sooner the next time.

port injection

Originally Posted By: ram_man
My girlfriends Dodge Dart the 1.4t in my signature is saying to change the oil already. It's at 6500 miles. I had in it 5w40 valvoline synpower. Is that normal for the olm? I would have assumed it would have done longer she drive 45 mins highway to work. Virtually no city driving it's all highway . Should i just change it?

Did she go over the 1 year time limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back