How important is heat cycling when breaking in an

Status
Not open for further replies.
This question could apply to any gasoline powered engine however I posted it in the small engine section because that is the engine I'm trying to break in this time.

When breaking in an engine I had always been told that it was somewhat important to heat cycle the engine as much as you possibly could and that this would help seat the Rings and help wear the cylinder into the cylinder bore.

Does this actually make a difference trying to run the engine through as many heat Cycles as possible for the first two to three hours or does it make no difference at all on my Stihl kombi Motors instruction manual and my Stihl weed eater manual they tell you not to run the engine at Full Throttle for the first 3 to 5 tanks of fuel.

I am also going to be breaking in a Honda gx35 engine and when I broke in my Honda gx25 engine I heat cycle that many times I know in the end it probably doesn't make much of a difference but this equipment was very expensive and I wanted to last as long as possible Plus I always strive to do the best that I can breaking in any new engine whether be in a car or a piece of outdoor power equipment.

The other thing I do when possible is try to vary engine RPMs I have always been told that when the engine is under a vacuum that is what helps the Rings seat.

Any input?

Last edited:
Do all Hondas have a cast iron bore/

I don't think "heat cycles" matters.

Start it, let the oil splash around inside for 30 seconds, then put it under a load and make 'er work!

That what breaks rings in.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Do all Hondas have a cast iron bore/

I don't think "heat cycles" matters.

Start it, let the oil splash around inside for 30 seconds, then put it under a load and make 'er work!

That what breaks rings in.

I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back