Fram Tough Guard 3614 Cut Open- internal damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter came off a 05 sienna, 3.3l, the OCI was 4876 miles, running Mobil 1 5w30, from May 2016 to November 2016. I just cut it open yesterday.

There was a spot where the filter media was crushed a bit, I assume during assembly. There was no way I did it cutting it open, it's minor, but the filter media was almost torn, but I don't believe it was, but close. There was however an area by the ADBV where there was clearly a spot oil could bypass the filter.

This is how it came out.

I didn't want to monkey with it, so I can't tell for sure if the media is torn, but it's close.

Here's a gap

The rest of it looks good.

Oil filter manufacturers better "step up" with this "wide pleating near the seam" issue!
mad.gif

No bueno.

For some reason the 3614s seem to not look as good as the other TGs (smaller and bigger) over the years I've seen them cut and posted.

I have the 3614 in my lawn mower right now lol.

That looks like a tear to me, but you're handling it up close so would know better. And with only 4876 miles on a TG, it doesn't look good at all.

In theory those pleats are providing some support to both end caps. If the pleats have a good solid adhesive bond and you have wide pleats (so less support), then stress that causes the pleats to bend will in theory pull the caps down/inward unless the media fails elsewhere. Makes a good case for having stronger end caps that won't bend inwards. However, that could be why we're seeing the torn pleats. Stress always finds the weakest link and hammers it.

Pleats near the seam or way too far apart. Instead of the media tearing, the end cap flexed and opened up a small gap. Probably a little better scenario than the media tearing wide open. Either case, it shouldn't be allowed to happen.

This is why I no longer use filters with fiber end caps.

While some tout end cap flexibility and ability to distort as an advantage, I can see both sides of the coin like this case.

With the OEM O/FCI's in my household being 6 months / 8K miles max & 1 year / 10K miles max these days, I'd rather not have something distortable in service for those limits. To me wire backed synthetic isn't required as lines like Mobil 1 oil filters have shown a stalwart service history for a lot of years - notably using metal end caps, blended cellulose / synthetic media, and even pleat spacing. Numerous offshore manufacturers seem capable of replicating that combination of factors these days in filters rated for up to 10K miles service.

No PH or TG series filters in my stash, nor Ecores. But I do have multiple CQ Blue filters that were manufactured by Fram in my stash. IMO these were the best non-wire backed oil filters Fram ever manufactured.

Last edited:
I've opened an Extra Guard PH3506 that looked like that before. Very distorted and the ADBV no longer made a proper seal to the end cap. The rest of the Fram Extra Guard and Tough Guards I've opened looked fine.

++++ if you can afford M1 ... you can afford FU or M1 filter ... run 10k any day

Last edited:
I now only run Ultras on the van. I started after I joined these boards in November. I am going to start running 3600s on everything and buying in bulk. I did put an orange can on the scion this time, thinking was I am going to do an short oci trying to clean up the engine.

But what I will start doing is running better filters and change them every 10k or so, even if I change the oil more often.

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
This filter came off a 05 sienna, 3.3l, the OCI was 4876 miles, running Mobil 1 5w30, from May 2016 to November 2016. I just cut it open yesterday.

There was a spot where the filter media was crushed a bit, I assume during assembly. There was no way I did it cutting it open, it's minor, but the filter media was almost torn, but I don't believe it was, but close. There was however an area by the ADBV where there was clearly a spot oil could bypass the filter.

This is how it came out.

I didn't want to monkey with it, so I can't tell for sure if the media is torn, but it's close.

Here's a gap

The rest of it looks good.

I showed these pictures to our chief engineer. He had concerns about the glazing appearance of the oil and said the filter is distorted because it was full and in bypass for some time. I am not questioning your oil, engine condition, change intervals but suggesting using a oil analysis at least once and changing filters more frequently.

This filter is supposed to be good for up to 10k miles.
Shouldn't have to change more frequently.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
My oil is glazed too. So I'll use Other Brand filters on the Chev. They handle whatever.
laugh.gif

You and I know this is not true in your case. I saw the picture and your oil was not glazed. You have every right to complain to Fram in the right way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back