What visits your yard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loads of birds-robins, chickadees, cardinals, blackbirds, goldfinches, hummingbirds, hawks, turkey buzzards, geese, wrens, owls, and even an occasional bald eagle. We have a pair of mourning doves that come back to the same spot on our pergola every year. A few rabbits and squirrels, coyotes, deer, and an occasional muskrat hangs around the pond. We've also seen fox in the area too.

Lots of deer. I hate them soooo much as does my Yorkie... he loses his mind when he sees them. The ticks they brings are a royal pain.

In addition; squirrels, moles, raccoons, possum, fox, rabbits and their babies, crows, woodpeckers, cardinals, blue jays, turkey vultures, robins, marmots, garter snakes, king snakes and very occasionally a small copperhead which get dispensed of with extreme prejudice.

You would never know that I actually live in the middle of town. I just happen to be near a creek which turns our yard in to Wild Kingdom.

We have a lot of trees especially palm and eucalyptus trees. In the very top of one of the eucalyptus (thank goodness for the spell checker) live a pair of red tail hawks that have returned over the last half dozen years or so. When I see the young ones taking their first flying lessons I block the dogs out of that part of the back property until the young ones start flying well.

Mom and pop cruise around in lazy circles in the early afternoon riding the thermals. It's amazing that the crows that chase every other hawk or vulture away leave this pair alone. A couple of years ago after being harassed constantly the female (larger one) turned and attacked 3 of the dozen or so crows. It was a quite a sight. All 3 crows arrived on the ground obviously dead, ripped up and disfigured with feathers slowly following. The fell like limp rags with no attempt to fly. This was more an execution than a fight. The crows never had a chance. They were outmaneuvered and it looked like they were completely defenseless. Crows must learn and pass it on because they never fly anywhere near the nesting tree since that happened. Mama must have been really ticked off and this was the day to end the problem.

Birds(mostly blue jays, robins, hummingbirds and the occasional crow), squirrels, stray cats, raccoons - snakes live behind the fence. Deer and wild turkey are in their neighborhood but they can't get over a 6' fence.

The cat loves seeing birds outside, she has hunted a few.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hpb
Great photo, is that a baby snake though? Looks tiny for something called a "King".

Yep, it's a baby. They're called King because they eat other snakes, including Rattle snakes. The largest one I've ever seen was about four feet long.

Mainly just spiders...

20170525_D72_0214.jpg

we live in suburbia, but with enough open space around, we've had lots of visitors... rabbits, squirrels, opossum, racoons, wild turkeys, deer, fox, red tailed hawks, couple different kinds of owls, ducks, canadian geese, tons of different kinds of small birds, garter snakes, toads, several different kinds of frogs, bats... The deer are always surprising - they like to eat just outside the front door..

Had an alligator under my truck a few weeks ago. Left him alone, and he crawled back to the water when he was ready. Rabbits every day eating my grass. A family of bobcats that chase the rabbits around. And a gopher tortuous that walks through my yard in the morning on his way out to get lunch, and back through my yard in the afternoon on his way back to his underground lair. Oh, and a Florida panther that scared the heck out of my wife while walking the dog one day. Bald eagle lives across the street seasonally. Owls and osprey birds of prey spotted almost daily.

Moles
mad.gif

Deer
Squirrels
All kinds of beautiful and nice sounding birds
Neighbors dogs
mad.gif

Very rarely, sometimes a rabbit
Turkeys
Raccoons
mad.gif

Salesmen
the UPS/Fedex guy

As little as possible. I heard a Tui in the trees the other day. Beautiful complex songs, they have 2 voice boxes. It's an honour to have a Tui near by.

Two fishers were screaming their heads off in our woods in the middle of the night last week...there was definitely some kind of call and response thing going on. Sounds like a small child in horrible pain, definitely makes it hard to sleep.
A mama bear and her three good sized cubs were all over our bird feeder in mid April, it was our fault for leaving it out too long. My wife also saw a bear crossing the road near our house on the way home last night.
Used to see snapping turtles every year, I'd assume coming from our brook, but not lately. The most interesting snake we've seen is an Eastern Hognose, the thing actually raised its head and made a hood like a cobra when we poked at it.

Firstly what a great picture.

As far as we go, we get birds (we have feeders):

Robins, Cardinals, Sparrows, Goldfinch, Nuthatch, Woodpecker, Junco, I'm still learning what some of them are. A couple of years ago we did have a family of ducks that looked to me like Mallard.

Other creatures:

Deer, Skunk, Squirrel, Chipmunk, Rabbit, Frogs, Toads.

Some of them are a bit of a pain but they have to live somewhere,

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hey Bubbatime: Get the gator to change your oil. That's when those little arms come in handy.

Their jaws have great crushing power for those overtightened drain plugs and oil filters.

Deer, opossums, raccoons, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, coyotes, wild turkeys, rabbits, snakes, salamanders, all kinds of birds, bats, and every so often a fox.

Don't visit forum much, but here is a pic of one of our visitors, besides deer, turkey etc
319675406.jpg

I live in central Pa, north of Harrisburg, as you can tell I live in the mountains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back