brake caliper/ pad lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had been using copper grease on the back of the pads, pins and area surrounding it in the calliper (not the calliper seal)

Is silicon grease a good replacement because of its temperature, low interaction with other materials and lubrication performance?

Silicone brake lube(recommended) is what I use and does not deteriorate the rubber boots around the caliper pins or the dust seal around the caliper piston. Also helps to reduce the chance of brake noise. Hope this helps.

thanks
those are also my thoughts.

when you say silicon brake lube; is this the same as straight silicon grease?

Bendix Ceramlube is allegedly the mutts nuts. Bought some but lost it before I could try it out.

There's also "Red Rubber Grease", which is red, and ok for rubber.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bonjo
thanks
those are also my thoughts.

when you say silicon brake lube; is this the same as straight silicon grease?

Well, I don't know exactly if they're the same which is why I just go for the good stuff. I also don't know what products are available to you in the UK. I use a variety of good name products from companies such as:

*Permatex
*3M Company
*Sil-Glyde

Last edited:
Consensus: silicon lube for the caliper pins (prevents swelling of dust boot and is nice and slippery), anti seize for everything else.

Originally Posted By: WillsYoda
Consensus: silicon lube for the caliper pins (prevents swelling of dust boot and is nice and slippery), anti seize for everything else.

That's what I use, Silicone Paste on the pins and antiseize on the pad edge contact points. I have some Permatex Purple Ceramic grease that I bought before I knew of the boot swelling issue, so I use that on the backs of pads.

I've been thinking about changing it up though. I find that the ears of the pads and the stainless clips get pretty dirty and gritty with the antiseize. I'm thinking about going dry next time, or maybe even trying a super thin film of Silicone Paste.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Who's consensus? Definitely not mine. Use only brake specific lubricants that are designed for that purpose.

My favorite is:

https://www.permatex.com/products/lubric...ts-lubricant-2/

GMBoy, I think that's the exact stuff I have on hand. Even though the bottle says it should be perfectly fine, I've heard reports of if causing rubber parts to swell.

This is one of those topics that everyone has a differing opinion on....

Originally Posted By: EdwardC

That's what I use, Silicone Paste on the pins and antiseize on the pad edge contact points. I have some Permatex Purple Ceramic grease that I bought before I knew of the boot swelling issue, so I use that on the backs of pads.

I've been thinking about changing it up though. I find that the ears of the pads and the stainless clips get pretty dirty and gritty with the antiseize. I'm thinking about going dry next time, or maybe even trying a super thin film of Silicone Paste.

Who's consensus? Definitely not mine. Use only brake specific lubricants that are designed for that purpose.

My favorite is:

https://www.permatex.com/products/lubric...ts-lubricant-2/

GMBoy, I think that's the exact stuff I have on hand. Even though the bottle says it should be perfectly fine, I've heard reports of if causing rubber parts to swell.

This is one of those topics that everyone has a differing opinion on....

I agree and excellent point. I didn't mean to sound harsh. I have not heard of the swelling issue with the purple lube...I may go back to the dark green style.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
I use superlube silicone dielectric grease

That grease is not designed for the high temps of a brake system. It is probably already melted away.

That grease is not designed for the high temps of a brake system. It is probably already melted away.

3M silicone paste has a working temperature of -40F to 400F, Dow 111 is also 400F, and SilGlyde is 425F.

The Superlube silicone lists a working temp. of -40 to 500F

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

3M silicone paste has a working temperature of -40F to 400F, Dow 111 is also 400F, and SilGlyde is 425F.

The Superlube silicone lists a working temp. of -40 to 500F

Oh Wow! I didn't realize that. I think I still prefer a dedicated brake lube but that sure sounds like it would be a viable option.

Brake lubes are only for metal to metal contact. If you have caliper sliding pins that uses a rubber bushing on the end of the pins you need to use a silicone lube so it doesn't swell up and create a seized caliper situation. I learned that the hard way with the front brakes on my Silverado and CRC Black brake grease on the front caliper sliding pins. I just pulled out the bushings since they were there for noise control. I just lived with the caliper rattle instead.

In service manuals it's common for different types of greases to be used on a brake job (yotas for example.)

This is what the 5th thread on brake lube already?

TL:DR brake greases (black, purple, green) are for metal to metal contact, silicone grease (sylglide, superlube) for metal to rubber or any rubber brake components.

TL:DR TL:DR fixed caliper designs are superior.

Last edited:

I use silicon "brakku-griz-u" that I bought in a mptorcyle shop in Japan on the pins. Max temp 180C, IIRC.

Since that seems a bit low, I back it up with a PTFE thread-tape wrap. OK so far.

you guys seem to have a lot of option and choices! I am envious.

over here, I have not seen any of the products you have mentioned.

authorised dealers use what is supplied or recommended by the vehicle manufacturers but otherwise the general trend is for regular mixture of grease and sometimes copper. We have not progressed beyond that!

The best I have available is something like this:

Originally Posted By: bonjo
you guys seem to have a lot of option and choices! I am envious.

over here, I have not seen any of the products you have mentioned.

authorised dealers use what is supplied or recommended by the vehicle manufacturers but otherwise the general trend is for regular mixture of grease and sometimes copper. We have not progressed beyond that!

The best I have available is something like this:

Not much wrong with those as long as you keep the antiseize away from rubber. Couldn't get either in Taiwan, though. Absolutely nothing available here.

One thing I learned from this thread, and verified on the actual Permatex website, is that I didn't know these brake lubes were only for metal surfaces. I use them on slide pins and backing plates and where the pads meet metal so I am ok. However - I will now not use these products on any slide pins that may have rubber o-ring on the end.

Good info here - I may be better off just going back to Sil-Glyde.

quote:

"Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant is a silicone-based brake lubricant recommended for the entire brake assembly, is compatible with plastic and rubber (EPDM & Nitrile), and dampens vibrations between contact points. It is moisture-proof and heat resistant to over 425 degrees F (218 degrees C), which means it won't burn-off like other brake noise products. Its long-lasting properties provide a noise-free brake installation and easy disassembly. Using AGS brake lubricant is one of the keys to eliminating disc brake squeal and protecting parts from corrosion and rust."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back