Renting a car at Las Vegas airport, need advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for something comfy. Need a car but dont' want to pony up too much if I dont' have to (obviously). Our Canuck bucks dont go as far as they once did
frown.gif

Will be driving to the Grand Canyon and back again within 4 days of sights etc. SO obviously comfort and power are of utmost importance.

For those of you who rent often in the US, if I reserve something like a "Premium" car, can I expect something along the lines of an Volvo S60/S80 or 300C Hemi etc? I'd also be content with something like a late generation Impala or Taurus.

Or should I just bite the bullit and reserve an expensive car from the get go, avoiding any upgrade regret when I get to the counter (when you realize you could have reserved it cheaper online than what they are offering at the counter to upgrade).

thanks in advance

how many in your party, how much luggage? last times i rented in vegas, both from hertz: 1. chevy impala for one way drive from vegas to l.a. and then san fran. 3 adults with luggage. was ok, nothing too good or bad. 2. hyundai elantra, just me. stayed in vegas with day long drives to the desert. much better than i expected.

since you will drive long distance i would pick a name brand rental, nothing cheap or exotic, in case something goes wrong in the boonies. sign up for rental firm's club, you can often change assigned car at rental desk after arrival at little or no cost before leaving lot if something else strikes your fancy. i always bring an emergency kit when renting, or buy at walmart: $4 multitool, $1 flashlight, tire pressure gauge (discount tire in l.v. will check tire pressure and spare for free), extra water, white towel for spills and to cover steering wheel when parked in sun. bring some paper towel to check fluids, and tires with your gauge, before you leave rental lot.

fwiw im in vegas now at a friend's condo driving an ex hertz toyota yaris. weather just turned from mid 70s to high 90s in a snap. desert scenery is fantastic, enjoy!

Suggest you go to a website like Orbitz or Expedia and see what's available for the dates you choose. Then narrow your choices down from there. Sometimes you might be able to get a small SUV or a larger sedan for about the same price as a smaller car. It depends on what the demand is in the timeframe you need it. I did a quick check and did see that at least one vendor (nu-no idea who they are or how well they take care of you) rents a Mercedes CLA ("or equivalent") as their premium line.

I know when we were in Las Vegas, I specified and paid for a mid-size sedan, and ended up with a Dodge mini-van. This was in winter when the seasonal demand was low, but my late flight meant they had fewer cars to meet their demand versus than arriving earlier in the day.

Also note that some rental car companies' mid-size, economy, etc are not the same amongst the various vendors. Read carefully and make sure you are getting what you think you specified.

Pricing can vary quite a bit amongst websites, so it pays to shop around a bit before committing.

How many in your party?

You drive a Focus and an older BMW. Why not rent a Focus or similar? Or are you looking for a little upgrade during your vacation?

I guess it depends on where you rent as to what they have. I'd expect a collection of Ford/GM/FCA/Hyundai and Kia offerings. I wouldn't expect to find many Honda, Toyota or Volvo offerings.

Could probably get a Mustang Convertible for about $100-110/day in US pesos with all taxes and fees. Should have plenty of power and be a nice ride for 4 days.

Sorry, forgot to mention only two in the party (including myself)
Not much luggage as we usually travel light (few small carry-ons).

We like size and comfort
laugh.gif

I usually rent from National for business. Per their website Premium (Maxima or similar) or Special Premium (Impala or similar) would be what you're looking for. I had a free upgrade to a Premium and ended up with an Avalon. It had good power and was very comfortable and drove nice. It was much better than I expected. Not the soft floaty Avalon a few years ago.

If you really want something like a Volvo or similar, you'd probably need to go with Luxury (Cadillac XTS or similar).

I don't normally rent elsewhere, but I'm guessing their categories are similar.

I find the Chevy Cruze to be most comfortable of the inexpensive cars I typically rent. If there are only two of you I would recommend the Cruze.

I have rented there. I like Hertz, but any are OK, except Enterprise. Enterprise tends to rent you a car in bad condition- nicks scratches, if they can, then be picky when you you turn it in.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

You drive a Focus and an older BMW. Why not rent a Focus or similar? Or are you looking for a little upgrade during your vacation?

Lol, thanks for the suggestions but please dont' base your suggestions on what I drive at home. Despite being thrifty on a daily basis, here in Canada we usually rent cars for any driving time above 1 hour. Anything longer than that in the Focus is torture and the BMW is a garage queen. This usually requires some plannign for the best rates, but it's far cheaper than the depreciation and insurance increases from purchasing a nicer car.

When in LA we've usually rented V6 Mustangs, MB 550 CLK, etc. One thing that's necessary is unlimited mileage as we plan on doing about 600-800 miles in Vegas Arizona in that time frame.

Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck
I usually rent from National for business. Per their website Premium (Maxima or similar) or Special Premium (Impala or similar) would be what you're looking for. I had a free upgrade to a Premium and ended up with an Avalon. It had good power and was very comfortable and drove nice. It was much better than I expected. Not the soft floaty Avalon a few years ago.

If you really want something like a Volvo or similar, you'd probably need to go with Luxury (Cadillac XTS or similar).

I don't normally rent elsewhere, but I'm guessing their categories are similar.

Ah yes, NOW we're talkin'!
thumbsup2.gif

Last time we rented here in Canada, we got a free upgrade from a full size to an MB CLA250 4matic. Aside from the endless power and handling, there was too much noise. Sure it was fun, but we wouldn't appreciate that ride for longer stretches.

From all the reviews online I've always wanted to rent an Avalon, but they dont' offer (m)any of them up here
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
I have rented there. I like Hertz, but any are OK, except Enterprise. Enterprise tends to rent you a car in bad condition- nicks scratches, if they can, then be picky when you you turn it in.

Good to know. I'll keep that in mind.

Ive gotten some NICE focus hatchbacks from Avis recently.

If it were me, I'd want an impala or Chrysler 300 for that trip. Somehow it puts a bit more Americana in it for me...

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Looking for something comfy. Need a car but dont' want to pony up too much if I dont' have to (obviously). Our Canuck bucks dont go as far as they once did
frown.gif

Will be driving to the Grand Canyon and back again within 4 days of sights etc. SO obviously comfort and power are of utmost importance.

For those of you who rent often in the US, if I reserve something like a "Premium" car, can I expect something along the lines of an Volvo S60/S80 or 300C Hemi etc? I'd also be content with something like a late generation Impala or Taurus.

Or should I just bite the bullit and reserve an expensive car from the get go, avoiding any upgrade regret when I get to the counter (when you realize you could have reserved it cheaper online than what they are offering at the counter to upgrade).

thanks in advance

Your kidding right? If you get a Ford Fusion or Impala for that matter that isn't falling apart and the seats are not gross consider yourself on the way to having a decent vacation. It's going to be plenty hot at the Grand Canyon......

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

If it were me, I'd want an impala or Chrysler 300 for that trip. Somehow it puts a bit more Americana in it for me...

Lol, that's a nice suggestion.

How patriotic of you
34.gif

LV is a small town and as long as you stay off the strip you can be anywhere in about 15 minutes. Don't waste money on an expensive rental barge.

From my experience of driving in LV at some point in the summer for the past 12 years.

Nissan Altima comes to mind.

Other points: Don't rent from the airport car rental. It's more expensive. Rent from a location off strip. Get ready to pay for parking at the resorts as well unless you have some sort of "status".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Lol, that's a nice suggestion.

How patriotic of you
34.gif

Nothing like crusing across the country and along the interstates in as large an American barge as possible.

But you do want a car with space to stretch out, and with great AC. I think those cars fit the bill...

Have you checked flights into PHX instead of Vegas? It maybe less expensive and closer to the Grand Canyon. You can spend a night in Williams, AZ and take the train from there to the Grand Canyon.

I would spend a few days in Sedona, AZ. You can go on sight seeing helicopters and the Pink Jeep tours. I kind of enjoyed Sedona more than the Grand Canyon. You may also want to head up to the northern part of the Grand Canyon which is less populated. Hope you're going soon to beat the crowds and the HEAT.

Honestly, the Sonatas are extremely comfortable for the price point. My car was a rental in a previous life and I've had a 2017 Sonata Hybrid rental and the seats are fantastic. Lots of headroom, I'm 6'2" and there's about 4" between my head and the ceiling. I sat in a new Camry and with the seat all the way down and back, my head touches the roof.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
A full size car like a Fusion or Camry should be plenty comfortable for 2 people.

+1.....for a four day trip, both of the above vehicles should serve you adequately...and both are good on gas usage.

We went to Las Vegas and rented a Fusion years ago and we are family of 4. No problems with 4 people and our luggage. We even took a trip to the Grand Canyon with our luggage and the car was fine. It did almost overheat a few times on the trip to the Grand Canyon but I believe that's because at times we were driving kind of slow due to traffic. Comfort wise we were fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back