1998 vs 2015 Toyota Crash Test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting.

Needless to say there will be a host of commentary of the validity; comment away. I am just posting as an 'interest' item.

The guys from Car Talk always shot down parent's ideas of passing down older vehicles to one's kids when they are learning to drive; perhaps sound advice

Last edited:
I love these comparison videos. People say how safe and solid cars from the 60s were and how cheaply built new vehicles are but I like having legs that work. I'll take the new model every day.

I'm surprised to see a 1998 model Toyota Corolla without a steering wheel mounted air bag. I think they definitely had them here much earlier.

"But there was no engine in the Bel-Air REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

...wait, wrong video.

27.gif

Originally Posted By: FowVay
I'm surprised to see a 1998 model Toyota Corolla without a steering wheel mounted air bag. I think they definitely had them here much earlier.

Yes much much earlier....odd. still doesn't take away from How screwed up you'd be in that car. It's crazy how safe things can be when actually built to be safe not just cheap.

Airbags do have a time limit, beyond which they may not be good to fire. The likelihood may be reduced or they may not work at all.

I believe the recommended interval is 10 years for replacement. Even if it was done the first time I highly doubt that an owner would be putting the money into do it again. If they could afford to do that they probably would not be driving in a 20-year-old econobox.

I am a big believer in the design and strands of modern cars, even small ones. Having been one of the first people on the scene of a major head on collision about a year ago now, it still amazes me how well some of the small cars can do in 50 mph head on collisions.

Id be curious to see how my 2007 would do vs the 2015. I believe one of the differences is that the 1998 is much lower to the ground.

A lot of the guys on the mercedes forum talk about how they would rather be in their old German tanks. i love my benz but Id rather be in a newer car in an accident.

Originally Posted By: Fastcompany

Yes much much earlier....odd. still doesn't take away from How screwed up you'd be in that car. It's crazy how safe things can be when actually built to be safe not just cheap.

Oz market Corolla didn't get airbags until the early 2000's as I recall. Could be something to do with mandatory seat belt laws here, or just one of those specification variations that seem to happen for no real reason - for example, I think the current Corolla in the US still has drum rear brakes on some models, whereas all Corollas sold here have had rear discs for the last decade or more.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
A lot of the guys on the mercedes forum talk about how they would rather be in their old German tanks. i love my benz but Id rather be in a newer car in an accident.

That's the NCAP videos o my car, which served as the basis or the Dart, 200 and the Jeep Cherokee.

here's the crash video of the current Cherokee

and the stability control test:

The ESC test really tests the extreme limits of handling for the vehicle, but it isn't entirely realistic. I'd like to see a human try to turn the steering wheel that fast. All kinds of digits and limbs would break off.

true, but what they are trying to accomplish is:

repeatability
uniformity
and to get the car off balance enough to stress the ESC system even on the dry surface.

We had a recall on hyundais as they failed the ESC test, the electric power steering needed a flash as it couldn't keep up with the test speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back