Amsoil Signature 15w40 or Amsoil Marine???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2016 Duramax and I'm currently runing the Amsoil Signature series 15w40. I was curious which looks to be the better oil the signature series or the marine grade amsoil for emmisions free vehichle.

I posed the same question for my 08 deleted cummins, Tired trucker recommended going with the CK-4 offering, the max duty from Amsoil. I'll be trying the max duty 5W-40 in the next few months.

Originally Posted By: redneck47441
I have a 2016 Duramax and I'm currently runing the Amsoil Signature series 15w40. I was curious which looks to be the better oil the signature series or the marine grade amsoil for emmisions free vehichle.

If your emissions free either would be fine, marine/diesel may have (not sure haven't looked at signature series) higher TBN; is that of concern to you and are your trying to extend OCI's while doing UOA sampling?

It depends on what your goals/objects of going with Amsoil are.

Originally Posted By: redneck47441

Better looking oil?
Are you defining "looks" of the oil by visual observation? Color? Add pack? Warranty statement? Cost per quart?
Are you following the IOLM?
Are you extending your OCIs?
Are you doing UOAs? If so, what info can you share?

This is just a niche-within-a-niche "what's the best oil? thread .... Which is the best Amsoil? Seriously?

Know these things:
1) the Dmax engine is about the easiest wearing light-duty diesel ever made
2) the IOLM will grossly understate the real potential of the lube
3) the engine no longer has the emmisions stuff that would otherwise limit even the IOLM OCI
4) the lubes you're considering are way over-kill for most anything you're doing to do with them

I highly suspect (because it's the BITOG way) that you're grossly under-utilizing the lube in the first place. So the underlying question is this:
How much money are you comfortable wasting? Do you want to waste a lot, or a lot more than a lot?

This is useless banter without a much better condition of parameters defined by you.

Last edited:
Redneck47441: Can you post a UOA of that Amsoil Signature series 15w40 at your next OCI? Would like to see the anti-wear PPM content it has.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Here is one of my favorite synthetic vs conventional videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYb_96D6GdA

That's a poor example really. Those engines are easy on oil and 10,000hrs is just getting broke in. Doing oil changes at 600hrs on them is excessive. Normal drilling rig service they change the conventional oil every 750hrs, and average engine life between major overhaul is 40,000hrs. I've seen some CAT 3512A still running at 78,000hrs with original turbos even. Their service schedule was original rotella 15/40 changed every 1,000hrs. The big industrial engines are well designed to last and easy on oil. Like an oversized Duramax. Lol

If you are considering Amsoil-I would look at their "regular" heavy duty diesel oils that are ck4 rated similar to signature series. The specifications on paper are comparable and even look better-low noack values on 10w30 and 15w40 both are below four. If you have emissions system intact I would hesitate to use 15w40 marine since it is specified for pre-2007 diesels. I was impressed with technical specifications of the less expensive heavy duty oils.

Originally Posted By: NVRENUFF
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Here is one of my favorite synthetic vs conventional videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYb_96D6GdA

That's a poor example really. Those engines are easy on oil and 10,000hrs is just getting broke in. Doing oil changes at 600hrs on them is excessive. Normal drilling rig service they change the conventional oil every 750hrs, and average engine life between major overhaul is 40,000hrs. I've seen some CAT 3512A still running at 78,000hrs with original turbos even. Their service schedule was original rotella 15/40 changed every 1,000hrs. The big industrial engines are well designed to last and easy on oil. Like an oversized Duramax. Lol

Clearly you don't understand the American (aka BITOG) way of life.
If something is good, then more most always be better.
And if more is always better, then more of more must always be more better!

If you change oil more often, then changing it more often with synthetic has just got to be "better than better", right?

You are correct in that the applications they show for the heavy service diesels is a bit skewed in that those engines don't really tax the lube at those intervals. But, I do see value in the video in that the drilling company at least had their eyes opened in two manners:
1- they realized that their service intervals were too frequent
2- they realized they didn't need syns for the service intervals they intended
So not only were they able to double their OCIs, but also lose the cost of syns. That has to be a HUGE savings. And all while still getting the same wear protection and cleanliness.

How did they come to these conclusions? Well, facts and data were used. While we BITOGers don't have a massive lube company sponsoring our cars, or offering to do a tear down of our engines, we can use things like PCs, UOAs, etc to judge the relative health of our equipment.

How is this relevant to the OPs thread?

If he would stop and assess his current situation PRIOR to making an uninformed change, it might just help him save some money and still get great service from his lube.
a) does he even need a syn for his application?
b) what service interval provides the highest ROI while still assuring good wear protection?
c) what product(s) are needed (not the same as wants ...) to get him there?

Would have to concur. I increased intervals by 50% on my heavy diesels, and use a syn blend HDEO which has a cost that is pretty close to full conventional. I lost any interest if full syn with my diesels. If it wasn't pretty close to cost effective compared to conventional, I would have no problem using conventional oil. Besides, the add pack of a motor oil impresses me more than the base oil.

The marine grade has more zinc and my not be too healthy for your cat., meow.
The oil you are running is a top of the line syn no dought.

I use to run syn oil in the winter to help cold starts but now use 10-30 in winter , works great at a great savings.
I run 15-40 valvoline blue during hot months, as it has a good add pack and can be had on sale for 13 bucks.
Cummins 6.7

So to answer your question, my 2cents is if you must use amsoil, stick with what you are using.

Last edited:
Oops, my bad.
Well with no cat then your choice, if you want more zinc, bust out the credit card and buy the marine.

I thought Amsoil was supposed to last till the cows come home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back