John Deere AM125424 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed the oil on my JD Z720A with 25hp Kohler Command Pro yesterday and put a Fram Ultra xg3600 filter on it. I will likely keep using a 3600 oil filter since it fits the machine just fine, clearance is not an issue, and the media size on the JD filter is likely adequate, though minuscule.

The Machine has 415 hours on it, I change the filter once a year and will change the oil twice a year or so. I put roughly 65 to 85 hours a year on the machine and run Mobil 1 full synthetic at the manufacturer specified weight of 10w30.

When this machine was new the junk that came out of the first oil change at 5 hours was alarming, there was all kinds of nasty looking junk, I almost think there was some casting sand in the oil. I changed it several more times until the machine reached 25 hours or so and than ran with my current OCI. The Oil stays fairly clean looking now, and the machine runs flawlessly.

I dissected the old oil filter and I also had the oil filter from last years oil change in the disposal bin so I cut it open as well.

The filters appeared to have very good construction quality, the older of the two filters which sat in my oil filter bin for a year has some kind of corrosion or material embedded in the metal of the can and the spring. I was alarmed when I first seen this, however I cannot get the material to come off, so I doubt it came from the engine. I assume it came from the factory that way or it happened while on the shelf, however due to the length of time it sat after it was used I cannot say for sure this is the case. Oddly enough this filter also had some molding flash on the ADBV and a slightly sloppy application of glue on the end caps. The filter media seemed to be sealed everywhere and the ADBV was soft and pliable.

The filter I just took off looked great, no concerns in my book. ADBV was great and the glue application was neat and uniform.

There is a combination Bypass valve-Spring assembly on the filter which appears to be well made. I don't see how you would get a perfect seal of the pressure relief being it is metal to metal, but I bet its darn close. Maybe I put to much thought into filters possibly bypassing some oil around the filter due to sealing issues.

I would have no problem continuing to use these filters.

Last edited:
Ok, I got to thinking.

I need to look at the can of the older filter tomorrow. It is possible that the older filter I posted was actually the original off the mower when new. I kept the original factory filter and the factory oil I drained out because it looked so bad in case the engine blew up under warranty. I had the factory oil and filter sitting around since 2010 and I thought I got rid of both a few years ago after the unit went out of warranty, But my memory fails me. All I can say for sure is it came off My John Deere at some point.

I actually took the factory oil which was drained at 5 hours and showed the Tech at Deere. He didn't seem concerned and said that's common on a first oil change on those to have [censored] in the oil, he assured me if it blew up the would put a new engine on. Well its out of warranty now, but its been fine.

Im not sure if i will ever know for sure....Basically take the older of the two filters with a grain of salt.

I am curious what that is embedded in the metal of that can. Carbon? Iron flakes? hmm... the mystery.

Last edited:
Engine designed to run 40+hr's a week it will service you a long long time I'd be more inclined to keep air intake clean as usually more important and in general overlooked.

Looks like a Champ Labs made filter. The bypass is what's referred to as a clicker type bypass, haven't seen it used on other than Champ made filter. Cut open an STP S2808 years ago and it too used one. Though likely ok the JD filter here has a tiny element but the adbv is silicone.

IME, no reason to pay the premium price for an OPE oem filter, when the automotive application readily available for significantly less cost. And larger too. The Napa Gold 1348 is what I choose to use in place of the Kohler oem. Even more preferable now that some yellow Kohler labeled filters are ecores using a combo valve.

The Deere filter looks just like the Kohler short filter, but the Kohler filter doesn't have a silicone ADBV. The last Kohler filter I cut open had way too much glue all over the media, looked like a 5 year old made it
grin.gif

Wow, that is tiny, but as said, it is probably more than adequate with regular changes.

The 3600 size filter is a huge jump in capacity, and the XG is a big jump in filtering efficiency.
You could probably go several years on a xg3600.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Wow, that is tiny, but as said, it is probably more than adequate with regular changes.

The 3600 size filter is a huge jump in capacity, and the XG is a big jump in filtering efficiency.
You could probably go several years on a xg3600.

I knew the little filter would be would be small, but I didn't think it would be That small. I think I have seen larger breather filters on hotrods. I'm sure it does the job, I am curious the flow rate od the oil pump. Kohler calls for 100 Hour OCIs with a filter change every 200 hours. So with this bigger filter Im sure it could easily make it to 600 hours if not 800 or 1000. The Ultra was cheaper than the JD filter by a hair, and though my primary reason for making the switch was better filtration and more oil capacity and not cost savings, I feel Going with the 3600 will save me money.

I was sure to pre fill the larger filter, I say I got it 90 percent full, Im not sure how much flow the oil pump puts out, but it would take a bit to fill that can Im sure.

I will probably run this filter for 2 years, I will pull it off each oil change and drain what I can out of it and try to verify the ADBV is working.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Looks like a Champ Labs made filter. The bypass is what's referred to as a clicker type bypass, haven't seen it used on other than Champ made filter. Cut open an STP S2808 years ago and it too used one.

Good info, I hadn't seen a bypass like that before. It seemed to be really well made.

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
I knew the little filter would be would be small, but I didn't think it would be That small. I think I have seen larger breather filters on hotrods. I'm sure it does the job, I am curious the flow rate od the oil pump. Kohler calls for 100 Hour OCIs with a filter change every 200 hours. So with this bigger filter Im sure it could easily make it to 600 hours if not 800 or 1000. The Ultra was cheaper than the JD filter by a hair, and though my primary reason for making the switch was better filtration and more oil capacity and not cost savings, I feel Going with the 3600 will save me money.

Another plus is the 3600 size will fit on your xB (not sure about the van).

I wouldn't worry about the grit in the filter from an oil change on a newer engine. Perfectly normal during the break-in period.

I just broke in a Predator 212 engine for a customer. The first two oil changes always look like glitter. It can be a bit alarming if you don't expect it. Basically looks like someone took a can of silver flakes and emptied it in the oil pan. The good news is on the Kohler the oil filter catches most of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back