Liqui-Moly "Motor Oil Saver" for valve stem seals

So, no surprise, my N62/TU engine in my X5 is finally showing signs of worn out valve guides and valve stem seals, as is common with pretty much every N62 I've seen with 90k+ miles. After a few minutes of idling I will get a little blue-ish-white smoke after giving it some gas. Anyone hear try Liqui-Moly Motor Oil Saver? I've heard it's about the best seal conditioner additive out there. I've heard of people fixing the smoking issue with a seal conditioner additive after a couple months of use. It says it's good for 5 qts, however I have a 9qt sump. Should I use two bottles?

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
The only proper fix for old valve stem seals that don' seal properly is new valve stem seals.

Not helpful.

A search will yield a number of successful results with Motor Oil Saver. It contains esters, which work pretty well. One can is sufficient for 5L of motor oil, so you will need two cans for your application. Give it about 800 km/500 mi to work. Bear in mind, however, it depends entirely on the seal material.

I've heard of it but never used it. The most popular additive around here in regards to helping with leaks would probably be ATP-205. I've used this one myself but wasn't much luck in my case.

Most people would recommend a high mileage oil as they do help a good bit with leaks but I don't know how well it would work with valve stem seals.

I would agree with the poster above and suggest just fixing it but that's not always economical or practical in some situations trust me we have all been there before.

Liqui-Moly products do tend to have a decent amount of usage around here tho so I'm sure there is more then a few people who would vouch for it but that's just my $0.02

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
The only proper fix for old valve stem seals that don' seal properly is new valve stem seals.

Not helpful.

Unfortunately FordCapriDriver is right, I had been on the same route, and only top overhaul to replace the seal works. I believe those Motor Oil Saver is good for worn rings, so the additive will create bigger pillow layer to slow down oil consumption. However mostly it is not effective on the valve seal. It may stop leak on the pressed gasket though.

What you want to do is add one bottle to each 5 quart jug so you maintain the proper mix ratio. Then your top off oil has it too.

I have had success using it in your engine on more than one occasion, as long as it is used at the first signs of smoke and not when they make 007 screens.

Dunno about valve stem seals, but sure worked on the front cover seal of my Duratec 3.0. After first using the suggested dosage, I found I could halve the amount in subsequent OCIs with the same effect.

Forgot to mention, you will need to add two cans at every oil change if you want to keep the seals pliable.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
What you want to do is add one bottle to each 5 quart jug so you maintain the proper mix ratio. Then your top off oil has it too.

I have had success using it in your engine on more than one occasion, as long as it is used at the first signs of smoke and not when they make 007 screens.

Thanks Roofless. Which BMW did you have with the N62? I'm going to give the LM a shot. Now should be a good time since it seems to have just begun, ever so slightly.

I farm a lot of side work from local clubs and fb groups. When you start talking valve stems seals people understandably want to delay the inevitable or just slow the smoke. Two X5s such as yours and a few 545i have benefitted from LM motor oil saver, and it worked on my 735i when I didn't feel like doing valve stems seals ASAP.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I farm a lot of side work from local clubs and fb groups. When you start talking valve stems seals people understandably want to delay the inevitable or just slow the smoke. Two X5s such as yours and a few 545i have benefitted from LM motor oil saver, and it worked on my 735i when I didn't feel like doing valve stems seals ASAP.

Good to hear. I love this car, but it's a maintenance nightmare. I wouldn't have it if I couldn't do all the work myself. Parts for older BMWs aren't bad cost-wise.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Give it a try and report back.

I'm curious if it works..... though very doubtful.

Will do. Should take me about a month or so to go 1k miles.

"The only proper fix for old valve stem seals that don't seal properly is new valve stem seals."

What about older engines, such as mine, that never had valve stem seals?

Originally Posted By: vintageant
What about older engines, such as mine, that never had valve stem seals?

Well, with many of them - oil consumption is just a "given".

Originally Posted By: FlyPenFly
Curious if ATP-AT205 would also help.

It's so far done a great job on my Saab with a leak.

From what I have gathered, they are similar products... both ester-based seal conditioners. But worth a shot later down the road.

Originally Posted By: FlyPenFly
Curious if ATP-AT205 would also help.

It's so far done a great job on my Saab with a leak.

I have tried ATP 205 and it works well on fixing my manual gearbox shaft seal leak

Back