FRAM PH3416 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a filter that I have had laying around for a while, the problem is I don't know if it cam off my parents van which is a 02 caravan with the 2.4l or our sienna. I believe its from the sienna since its so clean but I cant be sure. There was a collection of shiny bits above the ADBV that concerned me, but there's not a lot I can do about it other than keep an eye on it.

This Fram also has a crooked tube with a gap between the end cap and the centertube on the ADBV side. This was just like the PH4386 I cut open earlier today. I examined it very carefully and it does not appear that there is anyway for any unfiltered oil to get past the gap. The pleats were sealed to the end caps and there were no gaps in the pleats where oil unfiltered oil could get past. I also noticed the glue application was a bit sloppy. I really examined it and could not see any areas where the pleats were not sealed to the end caps.

It appears the filter was completely functional despite being a bit sloppy.

No matter what I do the image posts upside down. If i rotate it and save it upside down on my computer it still posts upside down. Argh...

See the shiny material on the ridge of the ADBV? Kind of alarming.

Looks like the tube isn't 100% round, and the media isn't centered perfectly.

You can see how close the media is to the edge of the cap on this side. It was not centered withing the cap.

I thought the pleats may have had some separation here but best I can tell they were ok.

Sloppy glue job

Definitely catching stuff.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to give you a hard time here at all with what I say next. But the glue is not put on for it to be viewed in an art gallery. As long as it held which it did then that's all that truly matters. This looks pretty good.
You did a very good job with your pictures. Thank you for your work here.

OP Media sq-cm is sortchanged but OTW looks fine from 1000 miles away. ADBV will seal the gap you are concerned about.
BTW, I was born in Indianapolis in the middle of the last century
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I'm not trying to give you a hard time here at all with what I say next. But the glue is not put on for it to be viewed in an art gallery. As long as it held which it did then that's all that truly matters. This looks pretty good.
You did a very good job with your pictures. Thank you for your work here.

You took words right outta my mouth captain
smile.gif

OP: very nice work my friend and fellow oil nerd
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero

I agree, it did the job and did it well. I just figured it was an orange can Fram, I had to complain about it a little because that's what you are supposed to do right? Lol!

I like Frams. The Ultra is real pretty, and for me the Orange can is a good value.

Appreciate your kind words!

Originally Posted By: car51
bbhero said:
OP: very nice work my friend and fellow oil nerd
smile.gif

Thankyou! Its a lot easier being an oil nerd now that I have a proper filter cutter. Yes, Yes I know its not that hard to cut open a filter using other means, but using the filter cutter is satisfying and puts me in a zen like state.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
OP Media sq-cm is sortchanged but OTW looks fine from 1000 miles away. ADBV will seal the gap you are concerned about.
smile.gif

Isn't it referred to as, India-noplace--?

Steve

I like the Fram's but that filter is not their best work. I will happily run orange cans but not a big fan of the 3614, I will run a 3600 in it's place if I have room or jump to a TG3614 if I don't. I do like the design though, which in this case means despite the sloppy tolerances it likely worked just as well as a pretty one would have.

And no tears. Fram media is tough.

Thanks for the cut and post.

Originally Posted By: steve20
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
smile.gif

Isn't it referred to as, India-noplace--?

Steve
I didn't say I couldn't wait to get out, even at age 5
smile.gif

The wives seemed very stepford-ish ..

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool

How many miles on the vehicle and how long was the OCI?

Unfortunately I am not certain. I believe it came off an 05 sienna which would have had roughly 50k on it at the time, and probably 3 to 4k on oil and filter.

It was one I had sitting for disposal and not quite sure. It also may have come off an 02 caravan, but I doubt it would have been that clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back