Got a $700 plow truck because snowblowing's lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1985 Dodge W250 with 318, 4 speed stick.

Aside from the cab floor being stove up from rust it's pretty solid.

If I kick the high beam I think my foot will fall through the floor.

Fuses? We don't need no stinkin fuses! Also the PO decided a marine battery was the best way to get more terminals to wire her up all mint.

Can't decide if this pump bracket is a legitimate Fisher(tm) part. There's also an odd piece of allthread that goes off to somewhere on the intake manifold. It's nice that it's a 100% hydraulic system so the lights don't dim when I crank the plow all around.

Michelin tire with 2000 date code and no cracks at all!

If this thing rocks in its first winter I see this bumper getting some LED light bars!

Measure once, drill twice:

Nice, any funny stories when you were haggling with the seller?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I'll give you free Dunks if you come and plow my driveway... ;^)

Find me an inspection sticker and I'll give you the Dunks.
crackmeup2.gif

Fix that truck up.There is a big demand for that 70s/80s generation Dodge.Way tougher trucks than the later Rams that came along (94-up).Me personally,I would have no issue at all with obtaining a D150 shortbed for daily use....

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Way tougher trucks than the later Rams that came along (94-up).

Leaf springs the whole way 'round! That's some conestoga wagon tech.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I'll give you free Dunks if you come and plow my driveway... ;^)

Find me an inspection sticker and I'll give you the Dunks.
crackmeup2.gif

Ha! Good one!
Is it good enough if I write "PASD ENSPEKSHUN" on an index card in green crayon?

How's the clutch in it?. I had an old willy's pick up and my knee was killing me after my first plow job with it. I guess the extra holes for the mirrors was just because the new mirror holes didn't match up with the old holes.,,

Clutch is light and works like an on/ off switch. Figuring with limited traction and 4-lo that's not all that bad.

-5 points for real sheet metal on the floorboards and not having stolen road signs
-10 points for tires w/ tread
-15 points for having an actual seat and not a milk crate
+5 points for ratchet strap battery holder but I would like to see bailing wire instead

I have considered a plow truck, but went with a monster 36" snowblower instead. I am sure you will need to fix things on that truck that will cost hundreds.

Also I have a dirt drive and need the crown on my drive to allow water to drain off to the side. A plow will tend to remove the crown.

Plus a snowblower gets rid of the snow into the woods vs piles it up at edges of driveway.

sweet! you have the same sheet metal floor patches as my F150! I'm not so sure that the home-made skid plate will protect much though

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Can't decide if this pump bracket is a legitimate Fisher(tm) part.

When I used to plow snow, Fisher was our plow of choice. That pump and bracket system is totally legit, looks just like the ones we had. The belt driven pump was one of the great features of Fisher, along with the bottom trip edge instead of the whole blade flopping over.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
How's the clutch in it?. I had an old willy's pick up and my knee was killing me after my first plow job with it. I guess the extra holes for the mirrors was just because the new mirror holes didn't match up with the old holes.,,

Probably because it came off a Ford:)

If it has pin holes to lock the snow blade in place be sure to use the pins. I once worked for the local electric company and in the winter one of my jobs was to plow snow. I always used the pin. It protects the hydraulic from surges in pressure that can blow out lines or cylinders when the blade hits something like a crack in the road or a large stone that is frozen to the ground. We had four snow trucks for two districts. At one time my truck was the only one still operating out of the four. The other three all had blown hydraulics because the operators were too lazy to use the pin to lock the blade in place, and they blew out the hydraulics when the blade hit something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back