Bosch has a 99.97% HEPA CAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be of interest for people with allergies, or live in polluted areas.

Picked it up on Amazon Prime. Cost $29, but the quality seems to be much better than most.

if it filters that well will it be restrictive or plug up fast

(like furnace filters)

Originally Posted By: Rand

(like furnace filters)

True, but if you're torn up from allergies, $10 a month for cleaner car air might not be that rough.

Last time I got a Bosch, it was a reboxed MicronAir with a Bosch stamp but it was made in the same factory. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case here.

Good find! I will be putting this in my Explorer on the next oil change.

(like furnace filters)

a couple Amazon reviews on them indicate this to be the case, noticing much less airflow from the AC/heat. Whether this tradeoff is worth it depends on how bad your allergies are
smile.gif

Installed the filter in my 2011 Sorento, and went on a week long vacation trip.

There is significant air flow restriction. Affected A/C performance.

Fram Fresh Breeze has great air flow and only $10.08 on Walmart.com. In store it was $18 or so but easy price match. The old oem one was pretty gunked up. I now freeze with the AC on in no time. Before that never happened always had it on high for the most part. Plus the charcoal/carbon gives the air a nice crisp fresh air scent all the time.

I never expected much from a cabin filter but this is very nice.

Last edited:
More pleats vs. standard would negate the higher filtering efficiency. This is how higher quality furnace filters generally operate. To the extent that they actually have less air-flow restriction.

Though standard CAF usually have plenty of pleats...so I can see why this isn't effective.
There may be cars specifically designed for a HEPA filter? such that it won't negatively impact the system?

I never found charcoal cabin filters to be effective. The Mann ones have a solid layer of charcoal, which probably doesn't flow too well, through the pores of the charcoal.

I have the Bosch one on order, to be installed by spring time, which is usually when I put a fresh filter in.

Bought some for the Uplander. The fit is beyond horrible. Really sucks! Would like to have sent them back with a small jar of Vaseline but decided to make them fit using filler material because of the HEPA aspects. I used these to replace Fram CAF, which fit perfectly. If my wife didn't have allergies, that's what would be in there again. Airflow is OK and we'll see if it plugs prematurely. I intend the FCI to be one year and have the means to check airflow changes. Have a manometer also and will compare delta-p between the used Frams and the HEPA Bosch. Too busy to do it now and the wife was already started with allergy troubles.

I had bought the lower grade Bosch carbon impregnated ones to try and they fit even worse. Sent those back and got the higher grade in what turns out to be a forlorn hope.

Unless I figure something out, I won't be putting Bosch in next FCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

(like furnace filters)

a couple Amazon reviews on them indicate this to be the case, noticing much less airflow from the AC/heat. Whether this tradeoff is worth it depends on how bad your allergies are
smile.gif

And have a spare blower motor and transistor assembly handy when they fail due to lack of airflow.

9000 miles and it is plugged up. Doesn't even look dirty either... but very little air flow from the vents meant something was up.

Back with a Mann carbon air filter and all is good again.

Interestingly, the MicronAir, another OEM for VAG, is very light in weight and the carbon media is very unevenly apllied

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back