Bought a New Scan Tool - Autel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to the cost associated with updating my Snap-On Scanner, I decided to spend a little bit more money and upgrade to an Autel MS906TS. This particular Autel unit has a built-in TPMS antenna and also uses a wireless interface for connecting to the vehicle. Both of those features are quite useful to me. Plus, the hardware is a lot more modern, updates are cheaper (and come more frequently) and the functionality is broader than the Snap-On products.

For a general scanner, the Autel units have been getting extremely good feedback on iATN and I can definitely see why. The reliability is still a bit lacking compared to Snap-On (not all functions always work), but the amount of functionality that you get for the price point is simply unreal. Factory tooling is still the ideal solution, but for a general scanner, this is a darn good choice.

Untitled by The Critic, on Flickr

Example of updates:

http://www.auteltech.com/Automotive Diagnostic& Analysi/550.jhtml

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited:
Since You're moving away from Snappy, What's your plan for wiring diagrams, component locations, and a technician repair database? (I always forget what Snap-on calls theirs.) Do you have IdentiFix, Alldata, etc?

Which Snap-on scanner were you running?

I'd be very interested to hear back after you've used the Autel for a few months. Do all the bidirectional tests work, does it properly identify the vehicle and the equipped systems, how good are the translations, etc. I have a tool from Launch, the other big Chinese scantool maker, and I'm really happy so far
smile.gif

I have the regular 906 and it's awesome. If you go into the scan folder, under vehicle, then find the folders for the different manufacturers, you should be able to delete the car_new files in each. This will give you manufacturer logos instead of the round icons. This has to be done after any updates if you care to.

An Autel will most likely be my next purchase too. Years back, I demo'ed both an Autel and a Snap On and the one big thing that has kept me with Snap-On is OBD I coverage, which is still decidedly a necessity with me. I'll still keep it, but will use the Autel as my primary.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Since You're moving away from Snappy, What's your plan for wiring diagrams, component locations, and a technician repair database? (I always forget what Snap-on calls theirs.) Do you have IdentiFix, Alldata, etc?

I'd be very interested to hear back after you've used the Autel for a few months. Do all the bidirectional tests work, does it properly identify the vehicle and the equipped systems, how good are the translations, etc. I have a tool from Launch, the other big Chinese scantool maker, and I'm really happy so far
smile.gif

I assume you're talking about Mitchell? Or are you talking about the repair service they launched, which is like Identifix, called Shop Key? At any rate, there are multiple sources for the things you listed.

I think Autel has enough time in the game that it will serve him well. It sounds like they're fairly responsive to user input too- I was talking with an instructor who said that he got a chance to demo some of their equipment- when an issue arose, he called them up and their engineers were Johnny on the spot, fixing or addressing his concerns.

I have to ask you....What is TPMS Integration? Does it allow flexibility when replacing TPMS units?

I've wondered about that a lot. Do all TPMS units operate on the same frequencies? Is there some assignment protocol?

My car is 10 years old and the TPMS units will be dying shortly.

I suppose all my rambling shows that I do not know what to ask.

Originally Posted By: Kira
I have to ask you....What is TPMS Integration? Does it allow flexibility when replacing TPMS units?

I've wondered about that a lot. Do all TPMS units operate on the same frequencies? Is there some assignment protocol?

My car is 10 years old and the TPMS units will be dying shortly.

I suppose all my rambling shows that I do not know what to ask.

TPMS sensors will usually be 433MHz or 315MHz depending on manufacturer. TPMS integration allows his scan tool to interface with the TPMS system directly. I bought the regular MS906 because I already had Autel's TS401 TPMS tool. These tools allow easy registration with the TPMS receiver/BCM and can view battery levels, pressure, serial number, and temperature if supported by the TPMS sensor. Typically the vehicle is set into TPMS learn mode and each sensor is triggered by the tool so it registers with the vehicle.

We just purchased the Autel MaxiSys Pro and love it! Great tool for the price and has not disappointed yet. I'm in the turbocharger industry and being able to control the new Variable turbochargers and electronic actuators is a major plus for us! Overall much more cost effective than any SnapOn and updates are way ahead!!

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

Solus Ultra on the 15.2 update. We use AllData.

Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett
I have the regular 906 and it's awesome. If you go into the scan folder, under vehicle, then find the folders for the different manufacturers, you should be able to delete the car_new files in each. This will give you manufacturer logos instead of the round icons. This has to be done after any updates if you care to.

Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
So, how much was it & updates?

About $1600. Annual updates are about $700. The tool came with 1 year of free updates.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It seems to me that Snap-On better wake up.

Sort of. Snap-On still has better "reliability." If Snap-On's lists a function, it will work. That isn't always the case with Autel. Also, Snap-On has very good graphing capabilities.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It seems to me that Snap-On better wake up.

Yeah they really need to reign down the prices on all their products, snap on is so stupid expensive that its almost like having expensive jewelry, or rare coins in your tool box. If you have ever watched the how its made shows, they can spit those mechanics hand tools out like donuts, and I don't see why a 50 cent chunk of steel needs to cost 50 bucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back