Four jack stands for differential fluid change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning on changing differential fluid on an Infiniti G35.

I have four jack stands but I'm wondering if it's absolutely necessary to use four jack stands. The rear diff cover has the drain bolt on its face but the fill bolt on the side.

Does it matter if the car is slightly sloped when filling the diff? Does that extra little or extra less warrant putting it on all four?

In theory you should do it on level ground, but, if you measure the amount that came out and put the same amount back in it won't make one bit of difference that it's not level.

Exactly - two of mine in signature can climb four ramps and two can only climb two ramps - so on the later I measured ATF and put back the same. (No ATF leaks and had dealer check level during an oil change).

Just checked the transmission fluid level on my car and lost maybe 15-20 mls or so until I reacted. I'd guess that it was originally (over) filled (and presumably originally checked by me when I bought it, though I can't actually remember how I did it) on the "high side".

This may, for all I know, be standard "pro" practice here, to get a bit extra in.

Can't see it doing much harm, and the extra might be a bit of a safety margin in some circumstances.

My driveway slopes with to very minor degree change. I just make sure to jack the rear or front for whichever diff I'm working on to compensate for the slant of my driveway.

What if you leave the fill plug out, put a cookie sheet underneath to catch any drips, lower it, then raise it again to put the plug in?

Sounds like a lot of work. You can use an allen wrench to feel the level as 1/4" below the hole or whatever.

You'll have to keep it level. Since access is an issue, I had jack stands under the axle but lifted the
body 6" more to create more space to work around the dif! The dif was still level to the ground!

I put the end on ramps then when it was draining jacked it level.

I then filled the oil while level.

Even if the front jack failed the rear isnt going to crash down.. parked on ramps.

I have always filled it with the hole uphill.

I may get an extra tablespoon or 20ml in, but I guarantee it doesn't cause problems.

Better than underfilled.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I have always filled it with the hole uphill.

I may get an extra tablespoon or 20ml in, but I guarantee it doesn't cause problems.

Better than underfilled.

I do it that very same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back