Wiring driving lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wired mine to the fuse for the electric seat heater in my camry. I have no such heater but it's keyed to ignition only. I just tapped the fuse on the "downstream" side so it's fused by the fuse.

Why are you going incandescent instead of LED?

driving lights due to their beam pattern should be only used with the high beams.

So, high beam power should be connected to the +12V of the included switch, then wired as normal.

Since the description of the item says: Genuine BlingLights 3 Inch Round Xtra 35w = 70w Fog Light Driving Lamp Kit (Non-Halo Version)

find out which one is it. If it's fog lights, then you can connect the parking light 12V to the switch 12V. If you want it off with the high beams, then you ground the relay to the high beam 12V. Otherwise, a chassis ground means it won't shut off with the high beams (check local laws)

Usually it's best to tap into the headlight circuits to trigger the relay, and as UG_Passat mentions, driving lights should come on with the high beams, and fogs with the low beams. When I've done this, I've always included a separate switch for the driving lights, but never felt that was needed with fog lights.

I realize that the kit you show includes a relay, but it's worth mentioning to never install supplemental lighting when tapping into an existing circuit without using a relay. You're virtually guaranteed to overload it.

So how do I tap into the factory headlight circuit? Do I need to splice wires? Sorry, I'm a total newb when it comes to anything electrical.

You get the current to run the relay from the headlight circuit and the power to run the lights themselves directly from the battery through a fuse. When the high beam (or low if fogs) circuit gets energized current goes to the relay which switches on power to your extra lights.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
So how do I tap into the factory headlight circuit? Do I need to splice wires? Sorry, I'm a total newb when it comes to anything electrical.

Yes & no.

If there is a fuse in the fuse box for the appropriate light, you can use those "add-a-fuse" kits to tap into it.

If you can't find a fuse, then you need to splice into wiring, Scotchloks are an easy way to do it.

I would not use the OE 12v as supply for the power. Most newer cars use a ground to control the relay coil. Relay is hooked directly to the battery through a fuse.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I would not use the OE 12v as supply for the power. Most newer cars use a ground to control the relay coil. Relay is hooked directly to the battery through a fuse.
So you put the coil for the aux lights in PARALLEL with the headlight relay coil.

My Hyundais use a ground from the OE switch to operate the lights. From the factory the fog light ground (I use them for driving lights) will only work with the low beams on. I rigged it so they can be switched on anytime the key is on.

The new relay I used for my HID fog lights has 12v+ fused power coming off always hot 12v+ for the #30 lug. I loop this to the coil 12v+ too so the coil is always hot. Then use the factory switch to apply ground to the coil.

I have my driving lights (harness, relay and extra inline fuse) wired directly to the battery and a ground. This way I can use them as needed alone, with low or high beam. Occasionally they work better and don't blind in heavy snow fall or fog. But mainly they are used with no oncoming traffic on unlit secondary roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back