Toyota 6-speed ATF, or beating the horse to death?

I'm going to tackle the ATF and filter change on my parent's Lexus LS430, it uses a 6-speed tranny similar to what's being used in the new Tacoma/Tundra and the rest of the RWD Lexus lineup. The dealer wanted $350 just to hook it up to a BG flush machine, and my local indie I take my car to for things that needs the factory scan tool is a little hesitant to work on it.

I can get OEM ATF cheaply, but I've seen here and many other places that MaxLife does work well in Toyotas calling for ATF WS. However, one person on the forums who rebuilt a tranny off an older LS said to stay away from "universal" ATFs - and the add pack suppliers/oil companies say their products are recommended for use in applications that call for T-IV/WS or JASO M315-1A specs. I've used MaxLife with no problems on things that call for plain-Jane Dex-III, my parent's van(but I'll be going back to T-IV or using Castrol IMV since MaxLife is an LV fluid), my old car that also called for T-IV and to top off a Subaru calling for their stuff - with no ill effects.

I'm plain confused - I think either fluid will work, at the risk of beating the horse to death has anyone reported long-term issues with the use of MaxLife or any "universal" ATF?

Red Line, Amsoil, Maxlife, etc will work just fine in that trans. I haven't used an OE ATF in a long time and have never had issues. However, if you have your doubts and can get WS cheaply, I would go that route.

I was in Walmart last week and they had 5qt. jugs of super-tech aft ,and the back panel stated the fluid was suitable to replace Toyota WS .

For what it is worth, I've been running my 98 toyota avalon and my 99 toyota corolla with Maxlife atf for a long while and they run great.

While I understand you are searching for failures, I thought I'd throw out my non-failure (to this point).

I've used Maxlife ATF in my '05 4Runner for 40k miles. It has the 5 speed and it shifts perfectly.

WS seems to work fine, even when it is never changed. I usually sell a trans service every 90k on those cars, but most owners will decline due to the OEM recommendation.

On the ones that I do service, I use WS and do not see much change in shifting after the service. Setting the fluid level is a pain unless you keep the car for the entire day (to allow it to cool).

Oil can henry's quoted about a 1/3 of what the stealer wants for the ATF service for my IS, and I am going that route since it involves 0 no headache. There isn't anything wonderful about the T-WS to seek it out, I'm willing to bet any ole low-v atf can match it. My AT in the IS develops notches and jerks at about 35k on the ATF, giving me a reason to seek out better options. I'm going the Valvoline route, and Redline after that, just for comparison sake.

I've used Valvoline Maxlife Trans fluid in a lot of Toyotas to good results. I've found it holds up a little better IMO as well.

My 2006 Lexus IS350 had 140,000 miles on factory WS fluid, and I had the fluid exchanged at Hendrick Lexus in Charlotte, NC for $250. They use one of those machines, and exchange fluid with 12 quarts of fresh fluid. I had the fluid serviced I think it was December last year or January this year. They did not recommend changing the filter, so it still has the same factory filter. Lexus six speed takes special adapters for the exchange machine, and the Toyota dealer near me did not have the adapters, so they could not do it.

$350 is high for that job. West coast inflation?

Originally Posted By: BigD1

$350 is high for that job. West coast inflation?

Maybe - the dealer is on BG's site locator and I wouldn't be surprised if they use their fluid instead of WS if it's machine flushed.

My biggest concern is changing the filter - Toyota started switching over to SPX Filtran filters in the early 2000s, and those are meant to catch more than just rocks.

BG flush or any other machine flush is stupid and not recommended by ANY automaker.

Changing the ATF is probably easy on these cars since there is a drain plug. Maxlife ATF is good stuff and will work well in your LS. Castrol's full synthetic ATF is also very good stuff. There is nothing wrong with using a universal ATF as long as it says ok to use where WS is specified
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Don't leave anything in the LS430's 6 speed trans to chance. This means only using ATF WS.

For the same reason I will not use WS in my RX. Anything backing this statement?

Currently running SuperTech Dexron VI in my FJ and have run the same and MaxLife ATF in my previously owned two late model Tundra's with nary a issue.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Don't leave anything in the LS430's 6 speed trans to chance. This means only using ATF WS.

For the same reason I will not use WS in my RX. Anything backing this statement?
I can't speak to the RX transmission, but I'm speaking specifically to the LS transmission. I would go with WS for it.

I have done (4) drain and fills on my 2006 LS430 with WS ATF. I did them between 81K and 83K miles and on the last drain and fill the fluid came out looking like new. I currently have 92K miles on the LS and it is running very smooth. Drain and fills I would use WS... Every drain and fill I did, 3 quarts came out and 3 quarts went back in.

My wife's 2011 Toyota Highlander has the Aisin 6-speed U760E automatic transmission that specs WS for its fluid. The car has 115K on it now, and has shifted well using MaxLife (replaced--drain & fill---FF and filter at 30K) and, now, Amsoil LV ATF (D&F'ed the MaxLife and filter at 75K miles). I found a bargain on the Amsoil, and have a stash sufficient to get the car to 300K. I'll let you know if the transmission fails before getting that far.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: khittner
My wife's 2011 Toyota Highlander has the Aisin 6-speed U760E automatic transmission that specs WS for its fluid. The car has 115K on it now, and has shifted well using MaxLife (replaced--drain & fill---FF and filter at 30K) and, now, Amsoil LV ATF (D&F'ed the MaxLife and filter at 75K miles). I found a bargain on the Amsoil, and have a stash sufficient to get the car to 300K. I'll let you know if the transmission fails before getting that far.

i just had my rx fluid exchanged with the ws fluid. and last week added 3oz of lubeguard red. never shifted better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I have done (4) drain and fills on my 2006 LS430 with WS ATF. I did them between 81K and 83K miles and on the last drain and fill the fluid came out looking like new. I currently have 92K miles on the LS and it is running very smooth. Drain and fills I would use WS... Every drain and fill I did, 3 quarts came out and 3 quarts went back in.
Good on you bro. At some point make sure you service the trans filter. It is important on those specific transmissions, or at least on their predecessor 30-40LE/A34xx transmissions that the LS400s used.

Back