Summer is here, interior protection ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now we singe our fingers on the steering wheel.

Needs work, but I'll wait to see how it stands up to wind (not typhoons) before I do more with it. Foam sign board, shiny lettered side down. The lashing between the top and bottom ropes is a bit labour intensive. Cable ties would be quicker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah, it's been an oven here for a while now.

Finally found my windshield shade in the garage, it with tint and cracked windows makes a lot of difference.

Finally started to regret buying a black steering wheel cover. A small towel draped over the upper half makes it bearable--a redneck steering wheel cover cover.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: paulri
Finally started to regret buying a black steering wheel cover. A small towel draped over the upper half makes it bearable--a redneck steering wheel cover cover.
smile.gif

Forgot one time last year and spent 10 minutes dousing it with cold water before I could drive. Finally a use for gentlemans driving gloves?

driving-gloves-3.jpg

Maybe not. For that price I'd want an E-type to go with them.

Umbrellas here often have a silvery lining (so they double as a sun-shade) so the skin of a dead (windblown, for example) one can be used as a reflective steering wheel cover.

Last edited:
Rockauto had a deal on some solar covers a year or so back.

They go on the outside of the car and stretch to clip over the side mirrors.

I paid 5 dollars each for them, and they do nicely in the Texas sun.

Window tint is a must. Had my wife's car tinted with tint manufactured by a company out of vegas called ASWF, it was well priced and very high quality.

Having my car redone this year, as the previous owner scratched the 3m tint in a few areas.

The problem is we only have one garage space for the car, so my wife's scion has to sit outside. Some of the rubber trim is dryrotting, and will need to be replaced.

Give your dash and interior plastics a good rubdown with a protective product. Also clean and protect your seats. Hot sun and up rays cook plastics like no tomorrow. Finally, clean the inside of your glass. All that plastic cooking releases a film that coats everything, including people inside.

Clean your aircon vents as well. I'm just south and east of you. It's very hot at the moment.

If you have leather seats,keep a good dedicated leather protectant/conditioner on them regularly. Like Justin said,tinted windows are definitely a requirement.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Rockauto had a deal on some solar covers a year or so back.

They go on the outside of the car and stretch to clip over the side mirrors.

I paid 5 dollars each for them, and they do nicely in the Texas sun.

Oddly, I've only seen interior ones for sale here in Taiwan. These are obviously much less effective, and things generally don't get stolen here.

I saw exterior ones for sale when I was back in the UK recently. Even with climate change, the solar threat is much, much less there, and anything that isn't nailed down disappears. Anything that is nailed down is vandalised.

Wish I'd bought some.

The original thread title was hilarious. Sumer is Incumen in. Using a phone perhaps to post the thread? Anway, I think a good ole sunlight reflector pad for the windshield is the best thing you can do. Reflects light, keeps heat down, etc.

Originally Posted By: Kurtatron
The original thread title was hilarious. Sumer is Incumen in. Using a phone perhaps to post the thread?

Nope. If I did that I'd go bald.

Its a song title (though I think you got it slightly wrong...using a phone?....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back