Just changed oil, did something a bit stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Originally Posted By: Chris142
A measuring cup???? Some of you guys are over thinking this! A few ounces over or under filled wont make any difference. I bet you change your drain plug gasket every time too.
smile.gif

EVERY time. Torque it too.
smile.gif

Me, too!

I started using a torque wrench a little over a year ago for oil changes. Not for the drain plug, but for the oil filter housing cap on my 2016 Rubicon's Pentastar engine. They are problematic in some of the earlier model years and I don't want to tempt fate.

Originally Posted By: OCDriver
I'm using a measuring cup for the purpose of tracking some oil consumption/loss

Dude, there's something about using measuring cup to monitor oil loss yet failing to clean it first that is just a big FAIL.

Believe me, I'm aware of it. Forgetfulness sucks and it was a dumb mistake, and reminding me of it is not helpful.

All I care to know right now is if small particulate entered through the filler is dangerous.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Originally Posted By: Chris142
A measuring cup???? Some of you guys are over thinking this! A few ounces over or under filled wont make any difference. I bet you change your drain plug gasket every time too.
smile.gif

EVERY time. Torque it too.
smile.gif

i pre-warm my oil every time before pouring it in, so that my engine doesn't get "cold" oil in its insides!!!!! LOL

I don't think it was much, but just in case, that will be picked up by the filter, right?

Some of it will, some of it won't.

Some of the won't will probably be silica, which is nasty, sharp, hard stuff.

But all you could do about it NOW is an oil change, and you're not doing that, are you?

So try and forget about it.

You won't be able to though. It'll eat away at you, like the sands of time

My paranoia is OVER 9000!!!

Don't oil filters just pick up everything X and bigger?

Last edited:
So, filters are basically a form of paper or paper-like media, right? They catch miniscule particles and everything larger, don't they?

So, filters are basically a form of paper or paper-like media, right? They catch miniscule particles and everything larger, don't they?

Well, I understand it's a curve, not a sharp cut-off, but I believe they generally don't trap stuff very well below about 20 microns.

I assume, from your insistence on this point, that you must have checked that the dirt in your cup was all well above 20 microns before you tipped it into your engine. I apologise for initially assuming otherwise.

In that case, apart from any big bits that get embedded into the oil pump on the way through, or broken down by the oil pump small enough to go through the filter, you should be fine.

I don't mean it like that, obviously. I'm *this* close to draining it and refilling.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverSnake

As you should. Every fastener in the car has a torque value. Just because people don't know or care about torque doesn't mean it is not important. You can find many examples of quick change oil places that over or under torque drain plugs often with catastrophic results. Using a torque wrench is easy and advisable for most automotive work. I own 4 of them and use them frequently.

One of the big reasons I started changing my own oil was that the local dealer left me with a serious drip and a big mess in my garage the last time they changed my oil. They worked on the car Friday and I was up in the mountains all weekend, my garage floor was a big mess Monday morning after coming home Sunday evening. I got them on the cell immediately and dropped the car off on my way to work, if I had been smart I would have checked my oil level before leaving the garage! Believe I had a big meeting that morning and was already furious about the wasted time.

The service advisor rather dryly told me that I had a "deformed drain plug and crush washer" and gave me an accusing stare as if I was the prime suspect! But, they were so nice that they fixed it for free, even though they clearly could not have done such a thing.

I have done my own oil ever since and have used a torque wrench on the drain plug since what felt plenty tight to me by hand on my first change still leaked.

Relax
I seriously doubt it will hurt anything.
The oil pump is strong so i doubt there will be any problems with the oil pickup and screen :)

I don't mean it like that, obviously. I'm *this* close to draining it and refilling.

I did something similar a few years ago. I "parked" my rocker cover hold-down bolts temporarily in the air cleaner hold-down-bolt-holes (which were dirty) and forgot to clean them when I put them back, introducing dirt into the engine.

So far, so-so, stupidity-wise.

Then I thought I'd drain and flush, but I screwed that up and made things much, much worse (complicated to explain, have to do some work now, nothing to do with being embarrassed, obviously).

I certainly did some damage, but the car is still going, and the chances are something else will finally kill it.

Last edited:
Since this is a US-based website I believe I can invoke the Fifth Amendment To The Constitution of The United States.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back