Recommendations on handheld vac. fluid extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the application? Do you really mean 'hand held"; Can't it be on the ground with some long hoses.

You'll do your cause better with some more info.

thx

I've had good luck with one of these: The Topsider™ Oil Changer has a clear vacuum hose and suction probe that reaches down through the dipstick tube to the bottom of the engine pan. Powerful vacuum pump action creates a strong suction that pulls the dirty oil and sludge into the Oil Changers tank. You can also use it for bailing the boat, removing transmission-oil overfill, cleaning up spills and more!

I bought a mitivac 6 months ago to do a drain and fill on my trucks transmission. It worked great and now I use it for almost all of my oil changes, motorcycles,lawn mowers, generator it works great and holds 8 quarts.
Bob

I have a Topsider. It uses a steel can and manual vacuum pump. Works great for me. Read the reviews on Amazon. I use it to change transmission fluid and oil in mowers and small engines.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
I have a Jabsco oil change pump I have been using for many years. Bought it for my boats long ago but use it for all things automotive as well. Will even pump out differential grease although it take a while.

http://www.go2marine.com/product/198806F/jabsco-flat-tank-engine-oil-change-system-17860-series.html

I wonder how this one would work for atf changes?

http://www.go2marine.com/product/209894F/sea-dog-electric-oil-change-pump-12-volt.html

Not sure. It will depend on the length of the pickup tube and how the pan is designed. Marine motors are designed to change the oil through the dipstick but car engines and transmissions are not. Some will work and others won't. For example, the dipsticks on my Ram and Scat Pack will not allow the pickup tube down far enough to remove all the oil. I suspect there are baffles inside that are stopping the tube. You are probably better off dropping the pan on your transmission anyway so you can change the filter as well.

I've always just rigged one up with whatever was laying around.

If you have a really rigid and large plastic container that has a air tight cap, you can build one to suit your needs.

2 vinyl hoses go into the cap (via holes you drill) -- one only goes in a few inches -- this one you will connect to the shop vac hose end (either with tape or just hold it by hand)

the other hose goes deeper into the container, and is typically a smaller diameter and longer. this is your suction end that you stick into whatever needs evacuation.

Once you start up the shop vac, it will pull a vacuum on the container and you'll get suction on the other hose. Since the hose connected to the shop vac is much higher up, you aren't sucking in any of the fluid, as long as you don't let the fluid level get too high.

I have a Mityvac but sometimes wonder if a cheap electric pump or drill operated pump would do as good a job and let you dispose the fluid directly into the disposal container.

They are much cheaper too.

Apart from that, I like the look of the Harbor Freight extractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back