Lithium battery outdoor tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking to start acquiring lithium battery outdoor tools, blower, trimmer, ect...

Was looking to stay in one line of tools, and looking at Lowe's. Have to down to Greenworks Pro 60V or Kobalt 80V series of tools. As wondering if people had experience with either line if tools?

FWIW my neighbor had the Kobalt line about 3 years ago and now he has a gas powered mower...

I'd buy Stihl. Their battery powered OPE is incredibly good. There are commercial "green-eco" lawn service outfits around here that use them.

Just my $0.02...

If you have a smallish area it may be good to get battery powered tools but if it's a large area or a lot of work to do it may not be a good thing. Of course if you bought a bunch of the same tools with the same AH battery then you can go a relatively long time; I always hate when I use a battery operated tool and it needs to be recharged. The other issue is batteries can get expensive to replace, not the same brand but I have a Rigid drill that I got for around $75 or so, both my batteries went bad so I bought another one which was around $40. For my purposes it is ok to have a single battery as I don't rely on the tool.

my 2 cents, you need at least 40v+ and dedicated are usually better
such as stihl or EGO 56v vs an older dewalt or ryobi 20v

20v can be ok for a light duty trimmer.. not so much anything else.

mower and blower esp.. work much better with higher voltage and multiple batteries ready to go.

I've looked at those battery powered tools but I'd like a way to try them out before buying anything.

The hedge trimmer would be my first pick if I could prove it to be worth the trouble.

For actual outdoor use, the only thing I'd consider electric for is a weedwacker.

Admittedly I do own a makita 36v brushless blower. Don't use it for yard work though... it's perfect for drying the car after a wash!

I have the Dewalt 40v lineup. On sale now at a lot of places. Great for average Joe on a typical subdivision lot. Nice to put in it in the shed for 5 months during cold months, pull it out, put a charged battery in and up and running.

Milwaukee have M18 Fuel hedge trimmer, blower and weed whacker.

They choose to appeal to those who already have Milwaukee M18 tools rather than go for high voltage like 40v.

Maybe the advanced design Fuel brushless motors work fine on 18v and they do not need 40v??

I don't have any experience with either of those specific brands, but I recently chose to go with the EGO (56V) line of lawn equipment. My primary use is the lawn mower. I only have 500 sq ft of grass to cut, but a lot more length of yard to trim and edge.

I read up on reviews and the EGO mower had good reviews. I only have a trimmer and mower at the moment, but will likely get a blower soon. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the higher voltage systems, just make sure they make all the equipment that you think you'll need.

Originally Posted By: CincyReds
I was looking to start acquiring lithium battery outdoor tools, blower, trimmer, ect...

Was looking to stay in one line of tools, and looking at Lowe's. Have to down to Greenworks Pro 60V or Kobalt 80V series of tools. As wondering if people had experience with either line if tools?

We have an 80v. blower from Kobalt. IT ROCKS!!! It will run the blower at full power for around 25 minutes, and will recharge the battery in about 30. The tool is LIGHT, and my wife's favorite power tool. If I hadn't bought a gas mower the year before my gas blower failed, I'd have gone for a battery mower as well.

The echo 58v string trimmer refurbs are in at direct tool $129
comes with 4ah 58v battery and charger.

Sometimes you can get 10-25% more off that price.
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/echo-58-volt-brushless-string-trimmer

Was thinking about getting one.. my current one the "string trimmer" end is shot.

motor still works fine with the edger attachment.

Typically my trimming is pretty minor 700 feet maybe... but almost abusive using the edger.

I will sometimes edge with the string but only after a fresh real edging with the edger blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back