Ridiculous censorship

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the owners have control over what is said on their site, and have no issue with that. The "house" analogy put forward by another poster was exactly right.

The problem is, words that are deemed as profane on this site are just normal everyday words to most of us, and wouldn't get you kicked out of anyone's house.

The "bad language" censorship (censorship is not a government monopoly) doesn't bother me.

The political censorship does, mildly, because its not even-handed.

There's a good case for banning politics, but I've seen a few instances where The Right Kind of politics is OK, but any reaction against it gets a one way trip to...er....somewhere else.

Yes, it's perfectly fine to critisise the politics of another nation, but to extend that to US politics is a no no.

I don't mind the censorship of bad words, it's the locking and/or removal of threads just because people get into arguments over the subject. Disagreements happen, and discussions to air out our differences are not a bad thing, and are certainly no reason to lock a thread...

Being censored (if that is an accurate description) is the only cost of membership for this forum.

Seems like a good bargain to me!

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Because some people are so undisciplined in their thought and speech that they cannot compose a sentence without using those words, or because they think they look "more cool" doing so, or because they have no rational technical argument and use those words to obfuscate that fact. Or sometimes they lose control because they've been shot down on some silly comment and lash out instead of admitting they were wrong. It's usually one of those
smile.gif

You know what I wish? I wish the censor function worked better on repeat offenders that keep coming back under new names after they've been previously banned. That would be a big help.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hpb
I understand the owners have control over what is said on their site, and have no issue with that. The "house" analogy put forward by another poster was exactly right.

The problem is, words that are deemed as profane on this site are just normal everyday words to most of us, and wouldn't get you kicked out of anyone's house.

You would at my house.

If I do not let my grandsons say certain words, then neither will adults be allowed to say them without repercussions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducked
The "bad language" censorship (censorship is not a government monopoly) doesn't bother me.

The political censorship does, mildly, because its not even-handed.

There's a good case for banning politics, but I've seen a few instances where The Right Kind of politics is OK, but any reaction against it gets a one way trip to...er....somewhere else.

How dare you claim that!

Gee, my previous post "disappeared" that pointed this out:

God
[censored]

Quote to see the secret! I don't want to get in trouble by going around the censor!

Censorship is preventing a person from expressing or receiving a particular idea.

This board does practice censorship; members agree to this as a condition of entry. No one is required to enter.

Banning particular words in the use of expressing otherwise permitted ideas is not censorship, it is a time, place, and manner restriction. Whether it is reasonable or not is up to the individual.

You ( and I and everyone else ) have already agreed that it is.

The nice thing about this forum is that you don't put your reputation in jeopardy by posting here. Its all kept clean. Some forums have unsavory characters and when your identity is revealed as a member of that forum then you're in a bit of a professional pickle.

If someone turns your post into something political just to be a u know what , usually the posts are all deleted

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
The nice thing about this forum is that you don't put your reputation in jeopardy by posting here. Its all kept clean. Some forums have unsavory characters and when your identity is revealed as a member of that forum then you're in a bit of a professional pickle.

That is an excellent point, and I don't think my employer would be too upset with me visiting here on the job since it's automotive related.

Sometimes potty mouth words are fitting to the situation (hopefully I don't frighten my neighbors too bad when something isn't going well on one of my automotive projects LOL). A lot of people are uptight about words, but I've been a sailor (USCG), prison guard and a truck driver so these words don't have any shock value to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back