NAPA PRO SELECT #21372 CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon BITOG faithful
wink.gif

Off of a friends 2016 Ford F-250 quad cab 4x4 truck. I did last oil change with Maxlife 5w30 SM when I had a huge stash and this filter. 4,997 miles on filter and oil. Truck has only 18,344 miles on it. Put a FRAM ultra filter and Maxlife Syn 5w30 in and on

car51 - not sure if you are a mechanic but i'm rather jealous that you have so many friends with whom you can talk oil. almost everyone i know takes their vehicles to the dealership for oil work.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
do they state what the media efficiency is?

I don't know that answer

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
car51 - not sure if you are a mechanic but i'm rather jealous that you have so many friends with whom you can talk oil. almost everyone i know takes their vehicles to the dealership for oil work.

My friend or this one and others trust me
wink.gif

The MC oil probably is good stuff but price is not. I'm a mechanic yes and enjoy my work sir
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Irishman
Thanks for the information and great photos. You have a lot of friends here at BITOG.

Thank you friend Irishman
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Irishman
Thanks for the information and great photos. You have a lot of friends here at BITOG.

x2 for sure...

Media looks great. I wonder how long the filter was in service as indicated by the rust.

Well, in PA with road salt and such I'm not surprised by the rust
smile.gif

I changed oil for him in early December 2016 also

Not bad at all for a cheap filter.

I should start running the ST filters in the truck. I just can't take my orange glasses off.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
do they state what the media efficiency is?

Champion Labs published test results of 83% @ 25 microns (see page 2 of linked document).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz2NTEAdC4vxdDNXV05Yc0FHUGczaVRTeF9qb0FuTWt2bXRF/view?usp=drivesdk

Supertech boxes state 95% @ 29 microns.

Two point linear extrapolation shows 68% @ 20 microns based on those data points - a slope of 3% difference per 1 micron difference in that particle size range.

Motorking previously hinted they were about in that range as well, so I'm guessing that's pretty close.

WIX filters always seem to look good, even the value priced ones. Efficiency on these may not be industry leading but by all estimates they're at least as good as many OE filters. Just one thing: I still don't understand how a nitrile rubber combo ADBV/bypass valve can perform the bypass function at a consistent pressure in different environmental conditions, especially as the filter ages. It is probably OK for 5,000 miles but I still prefer a more traditional bypass setup just for the piece of mind.

Originally Posted By: jim302
... It is probably OK for 5,000 miles but I still prefer a more traditional bypass setup just for the piece of mind.

Agreed, and same here. The popular Super Tech9688 and ST3614 both use separate dome bypass. WM's around here seem to have some difficulty keeping those two in stock. For $2.85 and based on anecdotes posted, easily worth that imo.

As for efficiency of the ST (and MicroGard), based on available data points as noted still better than some OEM with engine reliability that is generally well respected.

And then there's the oft praised made in China jobber filter anecdotes posted here. They generally do look excellent post use too, but have no published or known efficiency at all. Seems logical to me, if you like them you would generally also like the NPS, ST and MG.

Thanks for c&p.

I know some will bash me, but I run the NAPA Silvers I got on sale for 10K intervals (every other 5K oil change) and never had a problem. Granted I do drive 95% interstate cruising everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back