Mixing Group III and G IV oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if anyone does this and on purpose.
Say Castrol 0w-40 and Pennzoil Plat 5w-20 in 1 to 3 parts respectively.

I'm thinking of trying this to see how some PAO in Gr. III oil will change things.

I might be doing the same thing with Mobil 1 0w40 and PP 0w 20 HM to do some cleaning, 2 qrt sf each. I'm wondering the same thing?

almost ALL "synthetic" oil today is group III possibly with a splash of IV or V on the very thin varieties. its said they are mixable but staying with the same brand is best due to the additives, so unless you are in the business like Mola best let the pros blend your oils!

Originally Posted By: benjy
almost ALL "synthetic" oil today is group III possibly with a splash of IV or V on the very thin varieties. its said they are mixable but staying with the same brand is best due to the additives, so unless you are in the business like Mola best let the pros blend your oils!
All the additives are similar.

Bought 2 jugs of Castrol FTT Euro 0w-40 (made in Germany) so it's Gr IV, it was on 35% off sale too.
Will mix 1 part of the Castrol and 3 parts of PPPP 5w-20 (or 30) to up PAO in the mix.

Neither God, nor your engine will give two sheets about what ratio you mix whatever group oil together with.

Originally Posted By: dubber09

I'm thinking of trying this to see how some PAO in Gr. III oil will change things.

So what are you trying to achieve, and how are you going to measure it ?

Because whatever you have calculated from whatever principals that you have used is unlikely to be the resultant case.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Neither God, nor your engine will give two sheets about what ratio you mix whatever group oil together with.

That's the new code for "whatever that you do, you are unlikely to blow your engine up".

Originally Posted By: cmhj
people worry too much

again, what are people trying to gain with intentional mixing ?

It's not about your premise of worrying too much, but what are they trying to achieve ?

If I mix red paint and blue paint, I'm intentionally trying to make purple, aren't I ?

(But the end result isn't actually purple, either)

I think your previous guidance to stay same company & similar product line is sound.. I have tossed in maverick quarts of same company HM or 10w with 5w along with said company 5 quart jug to use up bottles that way. (1 of 6 quarts only).

It could be someone's idea of a fun Friday night sitting around the campfire roasting marshmallows and mixing motor oil. Besides, the oil company formulators don't know your particular situation. You might have jacked up your pickup and therefore need a high altitude engine oil, something that won't boil off while running down some mountain road.

Originally Posted By: dubber09

How can you tell whether this is an improvement? Blackstone oil analyses? Do you have anything to compare it with?

So often it seems that folks do things (myself included by the way) to see if there's some "improvement," but it's not at all clear how they can tell that things have improved. Can someone enlighten me?

Between the residual oil left in the engine when you drain & fill & change brands
The unknown manufacturer and viscosity of bulk oils at jiffy/Walmart/dealerships
And topping up with a quart of whatever you can find when on a road trip,
Its been proven a million times over that mixing does no harm. Whilst it may not be optimal, it's certainly not detrimental.

It wasn't quite a craze but there was a trend and slew of UOAs on here where people added 1qt redline to a sump of M1 to spike the add. pack and those UPAs all looked stellar.

Sometimes oil comes in a 5 qt jug but you only need 3.5 or 4 of them and you can uccumulate leftover quarts

And some people just do it for the chits and giggles. I made up a mixed batch of Redline, Gulf Racing, Maxlife red bottle, Millers Nano and TQX diesel because they were all leftover and remember thinking to myself how smooth and quiet the idle was with that blend.

The original question was - whether anyone does it and on purpose. Not just 'cos one had leftover oil thus used it to make the mix.

I'm doing prelim research right now but may not even do it depending on what I conclude from my curious research.
Now I included conventional oil as potential 'base' oil for the mix as many of them already have Gr.III added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back