Purolator Boss- very disappointing

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother has been using the Purolator Boss filters on his car. He changed the oil in January, and then yesterday. I looked over the filters, hoping to find nothing wrong or out of the ordinary, but, I found a couple things.

I cut open the filter from January and found the anti-drain back valve cracked. It looked fine, but when I picked it up and flexed it, that was when I discovered the cracks and splits in it.
The slots in the center tube were open in this one. I was surprised by the media. There wasn't really any spacing between the pleats. Purolator packed it so full of media that there wasn't any space between the pleats. I tried moving them with my thumb, they didn't want to budge. I guess that is a good thing? Don't have to worry about wavy pleats that way!

The filter from last night, I have not cut it open yet, but, looking down into it, the slots of the center tube are barely open. They are just slits. The oil filter from January were open compared to this one. Some of them didn't look like they were open at all. I can't imagine how well the oil was flowing through these tiny slits.

I am very disappointed with Purolator. I hope they get their act together and fix this issues. We were using the older blue, synthetic filters, and I thought they were good filters. Purolator is making me leery about using any of their new products as of now. I hope they work out the issues and start producing good products again.

Last edited:
without pics you is a liar
laugh.gif

Pretty sure I have seen pictures on the forums here of the ADBV having cut slit marks because of the sharp edges left over from the machine work.

I've had (purported) Silicone adbv relaxed open after 3000 miles. recently.
The OPs other comments are just observations NOT problems. The product designed using a supercomputer to visualize flow patterns and eddys. The Proto and production samples are bench flow tested with "dirt" loading for efficiency and byspass threshold. You cant do that with your "eyes", though we believe what we believe as truths and judge how we judge after years of experience.

I will say there may be some ADBV incompatibility with some new oil formulations and materials - or just "fake" silicone rubber sourced from who knows where!

You know like "fake" synthetic oil ...

Originally Posted By: njohnson
but, looking down into it, the slots of the center tube are barely open. They are just slits. The oil filter from January were open compared to this one. Some of them didn't look like they were open at all. I can't imagine how well the oil was flowing through these tiny slits.

Measure one, height x width.

Now count them all, and multiply to find area.

It might surprise you!

There could be louver problems like njohnson asserted, as that is almost common. Not great to see that.
Also, njohnson said the pleats were too tight together. I'd agree there ought to be about a millimeter between pleats, not the tight stuff njohnson reported.
njohnson, Did it look anything like the idealized pic from Puro above?

Purolators seem to have too many issues, like tears in the old classics, and now this. Avoid.

Last edited:
Maybe Purolator needs to revamp their oil filter line again ... might get it right the 3rd time around.

Here you go:

The filter from January. The one with more open slots. The crud on the anti-drain back valve and base of the filters is from when I cut them. I used my 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with a cut-off disc. I guess I should have wiped them off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
There could be louver problems like njohnson asserted, as that is almost common. Not great to see that.
Also, njohnson said the pleats were too tight together. I'd agree there ought to be about a millimeter between pleats, not the tight stuff njohnson reported.
njohnson, Did it look anything like the idealized pic from Puro above?

Purolators seem to have too many issues, like tears in the old classics, and now this. Avoid.

Thanks for the picture. They do look like that picture. Must be normal for them, I was just used to other brands of filters that have more space between the pleats.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
PSL20195

Yup, PSLs did that all the time, they must make/assemble them the same way. Rest of the filter looks good, maybe I'll grab a cartridge for one of the cars if it priced decently.

Perhaps silicone anti-drain-back valves are worse than nitrile ones. I know the former doesn't like oil and the latter doesn't like cold and hot.

Filter looks perfectly fine to me otherwise.

njohnson good pics there. I don't see any issues. Maybe the louver openings are too small, especially one of them, not good.
As for the ADBV silicone rubber valve, it would function fine since the cracks actually are where they lodge in the valley and not the flapped part which passes and seals oil. Cracks are strange to see. Almost regular shaped as if done on the production line.
Not a fan of Puro. Still avoiding. Fram Ultra or Royal Purple oil filters only please.

Purolator Boss doesn't filter as well as Fram Ultra, and I think its worse than Royal Purple. Boss is 32 microns 99%.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back