Toyota filter: 5K? 7.5k? 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KingCake
How long would you feel safe running a Toyota filter for?
I recently removed and examined an OEM Toyota cartridge with about 17.5K miles (2 oil changes). It looks good-as-new, except some black (carbon?) particles so tiny I almost require a magnifier to see them trapped near the interior creases. So it caught some stuff, but nowhere near enough to clog it, even though it's very small.

i always use maximum at 10K kilometer or every OCI. it is not good and wise if u use oil filter more than once..

It always depends on the condition of the engine.
An older engine will start producing more contaminants.
A newer car with a light oil should be good for multiple OCIs.

Here was mine on an "abused" (living between 3,000 and 6,500rpm for "normal use) 1ZZ-FED engine. About 6K (2 years) on it. I would have no problem running it for 15K+ but the nitrile ADBV stops me from using more than two years. However, I can get a Fram Ultra for about $1.50 less on Amazon and I buy Wix if shopping in-store for about $6

IMAG0616_zpsjg55y27x.jpg

IMAG0618_zpslbtt2r02.jpg

Can't complain about the can opening. Filter was in great shape. That being said, Toyota OEM filters tend to filter poorly compared to other filters. Beta rating is relatively poor. Beta could be a lot better for the price.

Originally Posted By: svhanc
It always depends on the condition of the engine.
An older engine will start producing more contaminants.
A newer car with a light oil should be good for multiple OCIs.

Correct. I don't have any sludged engines,
so 20,000 miles is easy for an oil filter to get to, at least in Texas.

Short trips in extreme cold are harder on oil filters.

I run the Toyota filters on both my ECHO and the Sienna. I don't know about older engines putting more "stuff" into the filters, maybe some do but even my old 1MZ-FE has clean filters when I've cut them open (same for the ECHO). Neither one of them use an abnormal amount of oil between OCIs even using the "rock catcher" OEM filters pretty much continuously since new.

I go 10-12K in the ECHO and no more than 7500 in the Sienna.

Are you referring to the canister filter or the newer cartridge filter?
There are 2 types now.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet

Are you referring to the canister filter or the newer cartridge filter?
There are 2 types now.

Canister. LIke a YZZD1 or YZZF1.

You have had to 99 Sienna since new correct?? And you have run Toyota filters since new obviously. 365k miles and still rolling strong. Kschachn is one of the members on here who I would listen to about taking care of a Toyota.

The spin on filter element looks just like the cartridge only filter element, so it's a cartridge in a can the way I see it.

My truck uses the YZZD1. I changed oil and filter last week after 3.047 miles, and it could have gone lots more. It's a new to me truck with 295,000 on a 22RE, so I was checking the filter for metal and sludge. The can was clean, and so was the media, so somebody has kept up with the oil changes.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
The spin on filter element looks just like the cartridge only filter element, so it's a cartridge in a can the way I see it.

My truck uses the YZZD1. I changed oil and filter last week after 3.047 miles, and it could have gone lots more. It's a new to me truck with 295,000 on a 22RE, so I was checking the filter for metal and sludge. The can was clean, and so was the media, so somebody has kept up with the oil changes. The YZDD1 is all you will ever need. Filtration is way overdone on this forum. No sense picking *$#@ with the chickens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back