Dusted - K&N on a Cummins ISX

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
These pictures were sent to me by my buddy who is an HD Diesel mechanic and sometimes posts on here under the username slammds15. The engine is a Cummins ISX with a drop-in K&N replacement filter.

Going to see if he'll send me some shots of the liners.

Yeah, I gave up on K&N many years ago ... If they aren't soaking wet with oil, they don't work. I even modified some old oil bath air cleaners to replace some of the ones I pulled out of service.

For the desert I went big dry pleated paper with foam pre-filter outer ring. Grease both mating faces on top and bottom where they meet the metal plates. Can't let dust in. Kills engines ...
frown.gif

Dust and sand are the worst. But usually when sand is bad, it's also taking the windshields so you know it's happening... Snorkel intakes or high pipes to get up away from particles bouncing along in the boundary zone is good too
smile.gif

Last edited:
Yikes. I don't use k&n anymore but I used to and I out one in the truck years ago when my dad owned it. I got it from him and I took it out and it looked like it had never been clean. I tossed it but I have to say it looked like it did its job. The air cleaner inlet was clean.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Wow!

Why would someone put a K&N filter on a truck like that?

The driver of this piece of equipment falls for gimmicks easily. He was running Lucas in it too, before the last tear-down when something else in the engine had gone sideways. My buddy told me there were like gelatinous blobs of soot-laden goop all over the inside of the engine. Told the guy to stop running Lucas in it, which he now has, and this time, with just Valvoline Premium Blue, the engine looks a heck of a lot better. Minus the dusted liners and intake of course, LOL!

Not sure as to the exact timeline, but I think the whole Lucas fiasco happened prior to the K&N one, as in, both were not going on at the same time.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Wow!

Why would someone put a K&N filter on a truck like that?
the regular filter is quite expensive and he thought a cleanable filter was a way to save money. Probably saved a few hundred dollars but is now spending $15000 to fix it.

Last edited:
I have used a K&N on my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder now for 40,000 and I always inspect the filter air box and filter tube and mine is always totally free of any dust or dirt and that includes wipeing it with a rag with solvent on it it's always clean. However after seeing this I do wonder how much extra dirt I am letting pass the filter?

I've just been informed that this filter was only in service for approximately three months
crazy2.gif

The liners surprisingly don't look that bad:

did ur friend for forget apply the oil in that K&N filter? because i see like no attached oil in the air filter.

cotton gauze is useless without oil. it is like u did not use the air filter

Originally Posted By: nyumski
did ur friend for forget apply the oil in that K&N filter? because i see like no attached oil in the air filter.

Suggest you have your eyes checked. The filter is clearly oiled.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I've just been informed that this filter was only in service for approximately three months
crazy2.gif

The filter was not installed correctly.

Oil was applied and the neck was greased to seal it. This just shows how garbage gimmicks sell themselves to morons. As for the quote of 15k to rebuild, that's a no. More like 40k including the turbo charger. This certain fellow also wants to install a fast fuel system on his truck, cause that makes sense. Already have an overly adequate lift pump with a high pressure gear pump... So again gimmicks sell themselves. This engine was torn down due to fretted counterbores, the liners had dropped and subsequently the head gasket failed. There would have been NO warranty coverage otherwise.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: nyumski

Suggest you have your eyes checked. The filter is clearly oiled.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
crazy2.gif

The filter was not installed correctly.

The filter was installed correctly. Period. I was the fellow who disassembled the engine. These filters are junk. It's not the first time I've seen this and it won't be the last. Also I might add this engine is 99% highway. So there is your evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back