Mobil 1 0W/20 Annual Protection Virgin Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
0w20AP1.jpg

0w20AP2.jpg

0w20AP3.jpg

Virgin0w20AP.jpg

I have a sample at ALS as well, when they get around to testing it I will post it too.

Thanks for that; I'm curious how this performs; A lot of judgements @ this point.

Modified Blackstone comments; "Other than its $12/qt price, there is nothing wrong with this virgin sample of Mobil 1 AP" j/k.

Thanks DuckRyder. This confirms that the analysis won't tell us anything about this oil. It's all in components that don't show on a VOA.

DuckRyder, thanks for the post. Makes you wonder what else is in the bottle. At least we can take it on good faith that this is another excellent engine oil.

I wonder how many BITOG members will be trying this out.

It appears that every year we get closer and closer to a DD that will only need service every 100K miles. This is a far cry from the antique car maintenance manual that called for oil changes every 100 miles and removal of the head every 1,000 miles to scrape carbon deposits.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Thanks for that; I'm curious how this performs; A lot of judgements @ this point.

Me too - it is going to take some people running a couple of sumpfulls of it to see how it performs.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Thanks DuckRyder. This confirms that the analysis won't tell us anything about this oil. It's all in components that don't show on a VOA.

That is my take - note: according to my math these numbers are 10-12% off on some elements vs the other VOA. I also thought someone else had a sample out there for testing.

You’re both welcome of course.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

So funny, that's exactly what Royal Purple fanboys have been telling us for years about RP.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
DuckRyder, thanks for the post. Makes you wonder what else is in the bottle. At least we can take it on good faith that this is another excellent engine oil.

I wonder how many BITOG members will be trying this out.

It appears that every year we get closer and closer to a DD that will only need service every 100K miles. This is a far cry from the antique car maintenance manual that called for oil changes every 100 miles and removal of the head every 1,000 miles to scrape carbon deposits.

I’d definitely give it a try if I racked up 20,000 in a year, I may anyway just to see if it does anything different from EP.

I’ll be interested to see if the ALS report shows anything Blackstone doesn’t and also how comparable their report is to the 2 existing Blackstone reports.

Welcome of course.

I bet this oil uses an anti-wear additive that doesn't show up on a UOA/VOA.
I'm thinking it may use something seen typically in oils that meet VW 504/507 specs.

Listen from 7:30 onward

Valvoline maxlife has a higher TBN
But this m1 is a low sap oil, so that can account for the low TBN.
Honestly my country might never get this oil so wont bother me much lol.

Esters are commonly used as additives. They will not show up on a VOA. TBH, the type of oil testing Blackstone does is useless for examining oil makeup for modern oils. It's value is in identifying abnormal engine wear, fuel dilution, TBN, and coolant contamination.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Not sure how a 7.8 TBN equates to 20K or 1 year, unshown additives not withstanding.

That's what I was thinking. That's a very low tbn for an expensive synthetic,that's about the same tbn as VWB. Black bottle Edge is much higher.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Not sure how a 7.8 TBN equates to 20K or 1 year, unshown additives not withstanding.

That's what I was thinking. That's a very low tbn for an expensive synthetic,that's about the same tbn as VWB. Black bottle Edge is much higher.

Does Blackstone calculate the TBN based on the calcium and magnesium levels? If so then no wonder their computed TBN is low. Will need to see UOA to confirm TBN retention.

I just purchased (last night in fact) a new 2017 Lexus GS 350. The engine has both port and direct fuel injection. Ironically, I was thinking of using a different oil than the Amsoil Signature oils I've been using in my other vehicles - that's why I submitted the earlier VOA report for Mobil 1 Annual Protection. The reason is the Amsoil signature has a more traditional additive package (High Calcium) and from my reading it looks like Direct injection engines need oils with low NOACK and low or mid-SAPS.

I do not know what Mobil 1's Annual protection rating is for NOACK, because Mobil declined to tell me when I asked. But this is clearly a mid-SAPs oil, and I suspect NOACK is probably inline with Amsoil or Red Line in the 0W-20 grade. I think I've found the oil I'm going to use.

I will be following my usual regimen of changing the first couple of oil changes early, and will eventually perform 1 year, or 10K mile intervals, which is what is required by the warranty on the vehicle. Of course, I will be submitting my UOA reports to this forum when they become available.

Last edited:
We will later find it to be a mostly PAO, some ester, etc, etc - and when we get the numbers (hook or crook) like the "tribe" will do - It will be M1's lower NOACK
Out of the 3 x 120k motors they tore down the Lexus was awesome ...

My only issue is cost - but I don't own a 2017 Lexus
wink.gif
congrats 🎈

I sent in a sample to Blackstone of the exact same batch as btanchor's original VOA batch, yet Blackstone has not sent me anything. I emailed them and asked them if they knew where it was and they say they never got it. Trying to send another one in again.

Thanks to duckryder, we now have a 2nd sample, and this time from a different batch (inked vs. lasered batch numbers). Still showing low numbers on about everything.

btanchor 11017B20A 6326
Mobil1_AP_zpsbicytlpv.png

duckryder 11017A02A 6326:
Virgin0w20AP.jpg

Comparing the two samples above, notably from different batches, the numbers are close enough. Thats two. We'll get more.
It still doesn't qualify as an SN oil due to low phosphorus. The SN minimum is 600 ppm, and Mobil's website says it should be 650 ppm.
We'll see if PQIA tests and flags this oil.
Detergent levels seem low too, as is TBN for a 20,000 mile oil. Mobil claims they have very effective antioxidants though.
I guess you could assume Blackstone is always low on all elements. I'm not so sure. Others have said they can't believe Mobil could be shorting additive. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back