4L60E pan torque

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone confirm the pan bolt torque on a 4L60E GM tranny? From what I found online its 108 inch pounds (9 ft lbs) but I just want to be sure. Its on a 2011 Chevy 1500 with the 4.8 Vortec. Thanks.

Sounds about right, my 4t65e is 124, just about 10 foot lbs.

Last edited:
10mm head, the actual bolt diameter was about a 1/4 inch if not smaller. Last time I changed I mistakenly torqued it it to 90 inch lbs and after a chunk of tire impacted the trans plan I developed a leak on the opposite end of the pan. When I changed fluid last weekend I used 124 and took a chance on not just replacing the gasket. She's held well since.

After about a week or 2, get back under there and re torque to spec. Ask me how I know
laugh.gif

Last edited:
How did the fluid look in that tranny? I'm wondering when to change the fluid in my 2012 truck. FWIW I just choke up on the ratchet and tighten the bolts that way. Retighten them a week later like someone else said, although when I have rechecked mine they don't want to tighten anymore, but some gaskets may be different. My other truck (2008 Colorado) had a reusable gasket.

You don't want to dimple the pan. Also remember your little bolts are going to be lubed with ATF so the effective torque will be higher.

Old thread

Plenty of old information around here. When I did my transmission pan last year I just followed a basic thumb rule of a 1/4-1/2 turn once they are lightly seated with the bolt head in contact with the pan. You can get a feel for the torque as you unfasten them for pan removal.

I read the article linked by GTX, and I remember stripping a tranny bolt a long time ago on a TH-350. Forgot all about that. Don't know if the threads were already buggered up when I got the car, though. Still, if you use the "choke up" method along w/common sense you'll be ok.

Change that tranny fluid every 45k and you should be alright. You don't want to wait until it's all buggered up. I got rid of 2004 Silverado with 185 k that did some serious towing, including 6600 pound boat from DE to Corpus, TX. This is with the 4.8. I did tranny every 25-30k and it never did me wrong. I figure with the modern Dexron VI you're good for 45k. Severe service is listed as a 50k change interval if I recall correctly.

Yeah, 10 ft/Lb is max. The bolts are M6 thread with a 10mm head. Since there are 20 bolts all the way around, the key for good seal is be consistent all the way around.

I start putting the pan back on with 2 bolts on first at opposite ends to "hang" the pan evenly. Then I start all the other bolts.

Then run them in til seated and "just snugged up a bit". Then tighten in 2 passes with a final pass at 10 Ft/ Lbs.

Why?

If you have the GM gasket with the steel core, it's reusable and worth $$ and better then a flimsy aftermarket $5 gasket.

It's seals best when no point is crushed by uneven torque on the bolts.

Since these bolts go into an aluminum casting with M8 threads, going over 10 Ft/Lb could strip them out! You'll
realize that 10Ft/Lb is pretty significant by the time you're done!

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
the bolt heads look to be 13mm on that particular truck, the 2011 Chevy

Yeah, sounds right, some one mentioned 4T60 4T65, had that on the brain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back