New Toy critique my oil plan. With PIC! FJR1300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked this up yesterday.

06 FJR1300

Unknown maintenance schedule.

The plans for it. Keep it simple and easy Rotella t6, AC Delco PF-2057 filter is supposed to fit the bike and going to service the rear diff with 75w90 synthetic gear oil ( whatever cheap and syn at box store)

Where can I get crush washers any big box auto stores carry those???

What else should I look into at 12k miles????

Air filter maybe???
2j5gz6c.jpg

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
If your not familiar with the service schedule you might want to get a service manual. Or stop by a BMW dealer and pick their brains.,,,

Uhhh, stopping by a BMW dealer might not be your best choice, since it is a Yamaha. The Yamaha that dethroned BMW as the king of the long distance riders.

Might get tossed out on your ear.

Rod

Very nice bike! and low miles!
I'm sure that a brake fluid change is called for. probably coolant too, given the age.
The owner's manual, along with a maintenance schedule, is available for free right from Yamaha's website. I'd post a link - but I'm not sure that's allowed?

With the Rotellas all going to CK-4 now, you may be limited to only those that are NOT SN rated, if your goal is to keep the "JASO MA" qualities.

API SN and JASO MA2 both spec lower levels of Zinc/Phosphorous.

Just something to keep in mind.

Nice bike. I'm sure you'll eat up the miles with it.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Amsoil makes a 20w40 synthetic JASO MA, API SM/GF4 oil

Yes they do! I have a fresh case of it waiting for my Vstar! I believe they were actually targeting Victory & Indian.

I don't think the oil drain plug uses a crush washer - - should be a reusable O-ring. Don't change it unless it leaks.

12,000 miles won't require air filters yet.

If this Yammi is anything like mine, you will chew through 5w in a sneeze. T4/5 in a 15w worked better in my situation.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
With the Rotellas all going to CK-4 now, you may be limited to only those that are NOT SN rated, if your goal is to keep the "JASO MA" qualities.

API SN and JASO MA2 both spec lower levels of Zinc/Phosphorous.

Just something to keep in mind.

Nice bike. I'm sure you'll eat up the miles with it.

+1

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Amsoil makes a 20w40 synthetic JASO MA, API SM/GF4 oil

+1

Originally Posted By: hpb
I'd second doing the coolant and brake fluid, and it's very likely the fork oil has never been changed...

+3

And check the filters and change the plugs.

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
If your not familiar with the service schedule you might want to get a service manual. Or stop by a BMW dealer and pick their brains.,,,

Uhhh, stopping by a BMW dealer might not be your best choice, since it is a Yamaha. The Yamaha that dethroned BMW as the king of the long distance riders.

Might get tossed out on your ear.

Rod
My local BMW dealer also sells Yamaha, and the customer is always right. Saw a Ural in there the other day.

My FJR did fine on Motul 5100 10W40.

Synchronizing the butterflies made it silky smooth.

"AC Delco PF-2057 filter is supposed to fit the bike" I went with Yamaha filters as they were quite cheap.

Originally Posted By: EvanD
Just picked this up yesterday.

06 FJR1300

Unknown maintenance schedule.

The plans for it. Keep it simple and easy Rotella t6, AC Delco PF-2057 filter is supposed to fit the bike and going to service the rear diff with 75w90 synthetic gear oil ( whatever cheap and syn at box store)

Where can I get crush washers any big box auto stores carry those???

What else should I look into at 12k miles????

Air filter maybe???
2j5gz6c.jpg

Awesome bike, you'll get plenty of miles and enjoyment out of your FJR! I agree with the oil and filter change. I would stick to either Rotella 15W40 or another JASO MA approved oil in a 10W40 viscosity or thicker (per owners manual). I would also swap out the oil filter with either an OEM Yamaha, Wix/Napa Gold, or HiFlo. All of those filters are great and can be had at reasonable prices. As others mentioned, I would also swap out final drive fluid, bleed brake lines, and flush/replace the coolant. Other than that your air filter should be fine at that mileage, although perhaps checking your spark plugs/gap may also be in order.

Last edited:
One of the best bikes available. But in the interests in full, fair & frank disclosure, I have been using an '03 since '04. The only issue that I have faced is a mess of fork oil that I found this Spring when I woke it up... That's to be expected & I have hauled out the forks in preparation for a local independent shop actually doing the work for me. I have replaced the original battery w/ the same Yuasa model. The battery tender allowed for a long run on the original & (I'm hoping) a similarly long run in the future for the replacement. I put a set of NGK Iridium CR8EIX plugs in it. Nominal spark operation as the normal copper plugs but much better durability. I run T5 10w-30 in it. Loves it. No issues. Using Amsoil's 75w-90 in the rear end. Change it annually as it's simple.

There is a heckuva FJE website, FJROA that pretty much tells you all that you could ever want to know about this machine.

I'm gonna have mine forever. Or as long as the Good Lord allows me...

John.

I use Mobil1 Racing 4T 10W-40 and a Wix 57356 every 4k miles or so. At 48,000 mi, still doesn't use a drop. I replaced my drain washers with copper ones from auto parts store. I replaced the fork seals in January, for the first time. Still haven't checked the valves... I too use CR8E-IX iridium plugs, and prefer Michelin Pilot Road tires. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back