Mobil 1 FS v.s. Mobil 1 old version,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dole
Which one is better? Generally speaking?

For what application?

Forgive my confusion, but I don't understand the question. Are you asking which is better: Mobil 1 Formula Shell or Mobil 1?

Originally Posted By: Why
Forgive my confusion, but I don't understand the question. Are you asking which is better: Mobil 1 Formula Shell or Mobil 1?

There is a new version of M1 0w-40 that carries an "FS" designation. XOM never explained what the "FS" actually stands for, but it probably does not stand for "Formula Shell".
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Full Synthetic

Right, and what does that mean exactly?
smile.gif

And what does that mean for all previous versions of M1 0w-40?

More than it does on Shell who never gets questioned here for being the GIII company ...

More than it does on Shell who never gets questioned here for being the GIII company ...

M1 0w-40 FS is primarily GTL-based, which is group III as well.

They never built the GTL plant and don't even sell GIII - where did you get that info ?

They never built the GTL plant and don't even sell GIII - where did you get that info ?

XOM had a gas plant that went massively over budget and was eventually cancelled, I think that's the one you are thinking of. I believe, based on my prior research on this topic, that there was more than one of them in the works and only the one got cancelled.

As to the source of Mobil using GTL in M1 FS 0w-40, it was in the MSDS, and was discussed, at length, in this thread:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4015787/Mobil_1_now_containing_GTL

Read all - they shifted funds (Doha) to LNG to meet contract demands. Mobil is known for a blend of base stocks producing all of them (G3, PAO, AN, ester) in mass quantities- and of course market in countries that don't consider GIII synthetic. You can look at the US version and German version (has all German OEM creds,, even BMW) ... and they lay down close with both VI fairly higher than PP.). Even the Visom does not get in the ballpark on VI.

Read all - they shifted funds (Doha) to LNG to meet contract demands. Mobil is known for a blend of base stocks producing all of them (G3, PAO, AN, ester) in mass quantities- and of course market in countries that don't consider GIII synthetic. You can look at the US version and German version (has all German OEM creds,, even BMW) ... and they lay down close with both VI fairly higher than PP.). Even the Visom does not get in the ballpark on VI.

I believe you are talking about Mobil 1 "New Life" 0w-40 (which was the VISOM version). Supposedly that product was actually the same all over the world, but PDS did show some variance country to country.

When the "FS" version came out (and it is sold only in the US and Canada at this point unless that has very recently changed) the big thing was, as indicated in that thread, that there was mention of them using GTL as the majority of the base (FT method, as shown in the MSDS). Which was strange, and a first for any Mobil product we'd seen on this site. This product does not carry BMW LL-01, unlike the VISOM-based version still sold abroad.

Per website (German) M1 New Life 0w40 does carry LL1 - maybe that is recent? ... and if playing by German synthetic rules is is amazing how similar the oil specs wound up.

Per website (German) M1 New Life 0w40 does carry LL1 - maybe that is recent? ... and if playing by German synthetic rules is is amazing how similar the oil specs wound up.

Yes, the New Life (ROW) product carries LL-01, but the "FS" version sold in North America (US/Canada) does not.

The Visom part is confusing - it does not carry the VI the G4/G5's do - and the finished 0w40's are pretty high on VI
(Well above PP GTL) ...

The Visom part is confusing - it does not carry the VI the G4/G5's do - and the finished 0w40's are pretty high on VI
(Well above PP GTL) ...

Yeah, not really sure what to make of that. I do know they use some PAO in both products (FS and New Life) however I'd imaging the VI we are seeing is a byproduct of VII used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back