FRAM extraguard really is garbage - check this out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was blown away when I saw missing filter element on this oil filter. I cant believe FRAM allowed this to slip by their quality control. I doesnt look like the filter element eroded away - it was just missing altogether. There were no glues or anything. Stinks to think that engine didnt have any filtering for 7k miles. Disappointed.

Last edited:
frown.gif
Sucks. Understandable an event like this can influence someones attitude towards a brand name. Perfectly OK.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
New purolator copy?

Not sure - Im sure it was purchased at wally world April 2016. I think it was before they rolled out the new ultra synthetic and high mileage branding.

Last edited:
I would contact fram about that, keep photos and the filter. If you have an oil related engine failure down the road, i'd ask fram to pay the costs. I'm not sure i'd send them the filter unless they agree in writing to cover your engine to 100k. If you give them the filter, you have no proof. I would contact them and start a paper/ email trail.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I would contact fram about that, keep photos and the filter. If you have an oil related engine failure down the road, i'd ask fram to pay the costs. I'm not sure i'd send them the filter unless they agree in writing to cover your engine to 100k. If you give them the filter, you have no proof. I would contact them and start a paper/ email trail.

Great point. Contact member MOTORKING about this as I bet he would be able to help you

Here is my question, this should not happen at all, however there will always be defects in manufacturing. The question is how common is this? 1 in 100k, 1 in 10 million?

What are the odds be that that defect would be caught? Not many people cut their oil filters open.

I would say that it is a more common defect than many would like to think OR you need to go buy a lotto ticket.

Its why cartridge oil filters are a good idea. No can to hide inside, you can see all, and inspect, before installing.

Not to accuse tj90 unfairly, but this almost seems like a fake. Sorry, it just doesn't smell right. People might do this for fake-fun. I DO admit its possible for production to screw up like that though! They make them fast on machines, and only take samples every now and then for a full quality control inspection.

I've never seen the FRAMPA commercial before. Its almost like the old Castrol "Think with your Dipstick" campaign a few years ago. That is a cool old actor, Jonathan Banks. I remember him from Beverly Hills Cop in 1984, almost always playing a bad guy.

Last edited:
I always take the filter out of the box and scrutinize it really well before purchase,looking into the holes to see the media pleats,making sure they look nice and pretty!

Looks to me like the machine that assembles them missed a step; that is, where the two ends where the media ends are bound together....

There was never any media glued to those endcaps-Jay Buckley/motorking will be VERY interested to see that one! Good news is, the media was never there, so it couldn't have been pulled into the engine. It would be just like running with no filter, unless you were driving in a dust storm, I bet very little permanent harm was done.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
There was never any media glued to those endcaps-Jay Buckley/motorking will be VERY interested to see that one! Good news is, the media was never there, so it couldn't have been pulled into the engine. It would be just like running with no filter, unless you were driving in a dust storm, I bet very little permanent harm was done.

Not quite like no filter at all. Some dirt would have been eventually, if not quickly, caught in what media is there.
I see what you mean about the glued media, as it would be easy to tell if a glue line was present or not where the missing media was.
I'm a little skeptical that this might be a hoax, but my apologies to the original poster if I'm wrong.

I can see the new marketing campaign...."FRAM....better than no filter at all....or is it??"

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

Not quite like no filter at all. Some dirt would have been eventually, if not quickly, caught in what media is there.
I see what you mean about the glued media, as it would be easy to tell if a glue line was present or not where the missing media was.
I'm a little skeptical that this might be a hoax, but my apologies to the original poster if I'm wrong.
There's no sign of any glue on the endcaps (at least the one that's visible)-I would call manufacturing defect on this one. Probably the media supply (roll?) ran out before the filter was fully made, QC missed it. Bet he gets some free ones for his trouble, but this is another potential issue to look out (down the center tube before installing) for!

This was a failure of the machines. Specifically, I don't know why the image sensor wouldn't have caught it, unless they don't use one to check that full assembly was done. In other words, they should have a camera hooked up to a computer to assess how it looks. (Industrial processes often use optical or image sensing to find irregularities in real-time.) google visual quality control in manufacturing if you want to know more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back