necessary to turn off diesel while filling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any difference between temps?
Gasoline at 100F easy to ignite.
Gas at 0F harder to ignite
Diesel at 100F really hard to ignite.
Diesel at 0F no way Jose
?

I left mine running when filling up recently. But that's on my property. Not sure what they will say at a gas station.

Regardless of whether it's required or not, why would you want to stand close to the exhaust and breathe it in? It's certainly not good for you.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Regardless of whether it's required or not, why would you want to stand close to the exhaust and breathe it in? It's certainly not good for you.

Then don't go near a truck stop! Let's see... I am 60 years old, was raised in a farm/ranch setting with all those tractors and other stuff belching a lot of smokey exhaust. Spent 7 years in the military breathing a lot of diesel exhaust from personnel carriers and tanks, and have been involved with commercial trucking since 1982. Not a health issue to date. it may not be good for a person, but not sure that it is the great boogie man that the EPA and the greenie crowd would have folks believe. kinda like saccharine was going to kill everyone. Lab tests proved it. The thing they didn't tell us was to ingest the amount of saccharin that killed those lab rats, we would have to drink several cases of diet soda every day. I just don't recommend that folks hook up the exhaust from their diesel so that it pumps it into the cab or into their home. That could be a problem.

And given the nature of modern emissions control stuff on diesels, the exhaust coming out the back is almost cleaner than the air going in the intake.

The requirement to turn off the engine is typically a state law or regulation.

It is a safety precaution that has likely long outlived its usefulness.

Gasoline formulations are less volatile. Vapor recovery vacuums catch most of what does evaporate. Fuel dispensing nozzles shut off cleanly. Fuel tanks are separated from the engine (except on motorcycles). Most ignition systems are coil-on-plug. If there are spark plug wires, they have far better insulation.

Never do, and nobody has ever said anything to me.

Far as the fumes go, it's just a fact of life. When operating one of my forklifts, I'm wide open while the engine ramps up to meet the load of the pump.

The refrigerated trucks with engine driven pumps can't stop running, or the cold stops pumping. During loading and unloading, those engines are kicking.

In MN engine idling with keys in is illegal as those needing a ride get in and go. When it gets cold there's a couple stories a day " my baby was in the back seat, etc etc"
Also signs on the pump "one must be in close proximity to vehicle while fueling" for those who hop back into the car and slide back out and get charged back up with static
We never shut the fire engine down to fuel

I have always shut off my engine whenever filling. While running it and filling probably wont do anything, it gives me the warm and fuzzies knowing absolutely nothing will happen with the engine off

I shut my car off just for the sole purpose of checking the oil every time I fuel up.

Even though there are signs everywhere the pump jockeys don't care, I came blasting off the highway and pulled up to a pump and was letting the car idle a bit so the turbo could cool down and I told the guy I was letting it run for a few min before I shut it off and he just stuck the nozzle in and started filling it. I only realized when I noticed my low fuel light was off and the tank was almost half full.

Any chance a newer gas vehicle would throw a code for having the cap off while running?

These things throw codes at pin hole leaks, a cap being off is much more than a pin hole.

Most of the bros in my area seem to shut the engines off while fueling, but make up for it by letting them all idle while in the store getting their cigs and energy drinks for the day
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: djb
The requirement to turn off the engine is typically a state law or regulation.

It is a safety precaution that has likely long outlived its usefulness.

Its actually a throw back to the breaker points ignition days, when an open spark was present.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Then don't go near a truck stop! Let's see... I am 60 years old, was raised in a farm/ranch setting with all those tractors and other stuff belching a lot of smokey exhaust. Spent 7 years in the military breathing a lot of diesel exhaust from personnel carriers and tanks, and have been involved with commercial trucking since 1982. Not a health issue to date. it may not be good for a person, but not sure that it is the great boogie man that the EPA and the greenie crowd would have folks believe. kinda like saccharine was going to kill everyone. Lab tests proved it. The thing they didn't tell us was to ingest the amount of saccharin that killed those lab rats, we would have to drink several cases of diet soda every day. I just don't recommend that folks hook up the exhaust from their diesel so that it pumps it into the cab or into their home. That could be a problem.

And given the nature of modern emissions control stuff on diesels, the exhaust coming out the back is almost cleaner than the air going in the intake.

I don't go near truck stops and I try not to breathe it in. I hope you don't get lung cancer, but that's what breathing it in could get you. It increases your odds of getting it, it doesn't mean that you will get it. Same with those asbestos claims, there are people out there who smoked 4 packs a day and spent 20 years in the shipyards installing asbestos in boilers on ships. Then they got lung cancer when they were 70. A certain percentage got it, you're lucky if you don't but why take unnecessary risks?

https://www3.epa.gov/region1/eco/diesel/health_effects.html

Diesel, of course not. Not in Canada. Honestly, I even leave my gasser idling while filling it when it's really cold. We are talking Canada cold, of course.
If I turn it off and it decides to go "GM Passlock Security" on me, we'll be stuck at the pump for 10 minutes. By then we will be cold and my wife will be grouchy.

We also refuel generators, pumps, quads and other power equipment while it's running. Gas and diesel. Sometimes with the clumsy mittens and those stupid ventless cans, fuel gets dumped all over their little motor, spark plug and all. Nothing has ever happened.

If I shut off my old wheeler long enough to fuel it, then I will need to take the heat gun to the heads again if I want it to start! Stupid cold weather.

I've joined bus drivers into their respective depots.

(Diesel) Vehicles going immediately into fueling are left running, and presumably left running whilst fueling.

CNG is a different story. Opening the fueling hatch will cause trip an interlock switch and shutdown the vehicle if it is running. An old trick among drivers was tweaking the panels "just so" to cause the bus to stall out and annoy the coworker... The "tweak" meant they didn't realise something was amiss unless they phsyically went and fiddled with the panel.

Vehicles waiting to go onto another shift later on may or may not be fueled depending on the type, and how much they started out with. Some types have far shorter legs than others (particularly our crop of withdrawn CNG Renault PR100.2 buses - whose high gas consumption and small tanks hindered range).

Last edited:
I always turn off the engine when filling diesel or gas regardless the weather or anything. It is just a habit that no one can replace.

Nothings harm when u turn off the engine
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Any difference between temps?
Gasoline at 100F easy to ignite.
Gas at 0F harder to ignite
Diesel at 100F really hard to ignite.
Diesel at 0F no way Jose
?

how far are you from the gas pumps?

I've never understood why drivers leave their diesel engines idling uselessly. Except in frigid weather, shut it off. I've been trained by two diesel engine manufacturers. We try to avoid even light running, and always idling, when possible. It's a waste of fuel and contributes to sludging the engine. Yes, let the engine idle a couple of minutes to cool the turbocharger after running heavy & hot, otherwise shut it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back