High-flow cabin air filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I bought my Sonata almost 3 months ago, when I bought it I ordered a new cabin air filter. The original one was filthy, but replacing it didn't make my A/C blow any harder. I wish it did, it lacks a bit in blowing power. Today it is well over 100 degrees and I had to remove the cabin air filter to get some more air flowing, and it blows much harder without it. The new one is still clean, but is one of those charcoal type so I assume that's why it doesn't blow so hard.

Any recommendations for one that might have more flow? I don't have allergy problems, but I'd like to keep the evaporator cleaner (I assume the filter is before the evaporator?).

Here's the link to the one I have:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01D1XRG9U/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, just fine the cheapest one made?

LOL, I was getting ready to write, just get the cheapest one you can find.

Same as furnace filters, the more expensive ones have less flow because they filter more.

I've never had a problem with a WIX cabin air filter, which I now have in wife's 2012 Equinox. The WIX number for your Sonata is WP10155. Are you using MAX air when super hot? I've always cracked the back windows with the AC on high, not recirculate, for at least 2 mins to get most of built up hot air out of cabin. Then I switch to recirculate. Works for me.

Rockauto has pronto for less than $4 each, just buy a bunch to mitigate shipping or order something else you need.

Here are the two part numbers you can try searching on Amazon or eBay for best prices if you don't want the pronto

C2H79-AP000
97133C2000

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Rockauto has pronto for less than $4 each, just buy a bunch to mitigate shipping or order something else you need.

Here are the two part numbers you can try searching on Amazon or eBay for best prices if you don't want the pronto

C2H79-AP000
97133C2000
Hmmm, Pronto. That's what Parts Authority uses and I can get parts at my mechanic's cost through them when I walk in there. I think I'll try that!

All of this assumes that low cost actually equates to lower efficiency, higher flowing filters, as suggested with furnace filter analogy above.

Please follow up with your results!

I bought KN cabin filter and its great bc I can spray fragrance on the element and get a nice smell. The Napa Gold filter better though. So I wrapped mine with pantyhose and misted on some static guard.

K&N cabin filters actually seem to make since, especially considering that it's okay if the efficiency is lower than paper and how expensive they can be on top of the issue of how often they can need replacement in pollen areas or dusty areas but unfortunately they don't make a filter for the 2015 Sonata yet.

You can always pick up one of these from Home Depot and cut your own. For $9 you can make 3 or 4. I tested the airflow and it's the least restrictive of all the cabin filters I had, from new ones to dirty ones.

yf7rm.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

C2H79-AP000
97133C2000

I buy 2 Pronto cabin filters from Rock auto every June for about $15 with shipping and change both cars.They are cheap and look it, but the air flow is great.

I found the CARQUEST cabin air filters at AAP for my wife's Mustang to be competitive with Rockauto, and no shipping. Apply a AAP discount code and in my case they're even cheaper than Rockauto (under $5 and no shipping with free pickup in store). It's just a particulate filter, no activated carbon or baking soda.

I forgot to update this thread.

I ended up just taking it out for now, haven't gotten around to picking up another filter that's a cheapy.

Flows way better now. Night and day difference.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
I've never had a problem with a WIX cabin air filter, which I now have in wife's 2012 Equinox. The WIX number for your Sonata is WP10155. Are you using MAX air when super hot? I've always cracked the back windows with the AC on high, not recirculate, for at least 2 mins to get most of built up hot air out of cabin. Then I switch to recirculate. Works for me.

+1 , Gotta get that stale air out!

I just picked up a Carquest CAF. According to their website, it is 95% efficient.

Works for me. Gotta have full blowing power with this hot muggy weather lately.

Many automatic AC's will run on outside air for the first few minutes to exhaust the stale hot air and then swith to recirc if you require colder air. Some of the nicer ones even pause for a few seconds to cool the evap before running the blower to high speed.

I have vehicles with and without cabin filters and have never been able to tell a bit of difference. IME an evap core flooded with water seems to be an effective filter.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I run the AC in recirculate 99% of the time. The filter is out of the air flow then.

No, it's not.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back