Engine oil for 2006 Piaggio Vespa LX150

Status
Not open for further replies.

edg

I had few visits to some local motorbike and auto part stores in the weekend and I would like to hear few quick suggestions on which oil to get for my 2006 Vespa LX150. If you were in my shoes what would you get of the products listed below?

So, first thing first: the owner manual recommends AGIP CITY HI TEC 4T. This Agip product is not easily available in the US market and comes with the following specs/certifications:
- SAE 5W-40,
- API SL,
- ACEA A3,
- JASO MA
- Synthetic (here I would read it as "real European synthetic" or class IV)
Just a reminder, API SN and API SM are superior to (or if you prefer "include the performances of") API SL.

It seems to me that i cannot find locally any oil that has all the listed characteristics at the same time. The oils that are on the table are:

Liqui Moly Synthoil:
PRO: 5W-40, ACEA A3, API SM, should be class IV (as it is made in Germany)
CONS: no mention to JASO MA,
price at 7.50 usd/liter
I do not know the brand, anybody in the forum with experience with it?

Royal Purple:
PRO: 5W-40, API SM, ACEA A3
CONS: no mention to JASO MA, probably class III
price at 10 usd/quart
I do not know this brand, anybody with experience with it?

Castrol Power1 4T Motorcycle Oil:
PRO: JASO MA, API SL
CONS: no mention to ACEA, only 10W-40, probably class III
price at 10.50 usd/quart

Castrol EDGE:
PRO: 5W-40, API SN, ACEA A3
CONS: no mention to JASO MA, probably class III
price at 9.50 usd/liter

Shell Rotella T6:
PRO: 5W-40, API SL, JASO MA
CONS: ACEA E9 (instead of A3. Not sure whether this is superior or not), marketed as heavy duty diesel oil (not sure it is appropriate for high-RPM small engines), probably class III, also it seems that the JASO approval is a self-assessment of compliance (the oil is not listed in the JASO website)
price at 22 usd/gallon (much cheaper than the other)

Also, if I look online there are not really options that match the AGIP product that is anyway not easily available (e.g not on Amazon) at a reasonable price.

As the JASO certification seems to be the most problematic i did a bit of research on it and found that there are at least 2 levels, MA and MB:
JASO MA: Delivers the desired friction performance motorcycles need to prevent slippage in the wet clutch.
JASO MB: Delivers to scooters friction performance via friction modifiers in order to provide fuel economy benefits.
Being the LX a scooter with CVT (does not have a wet clutch), I do not understand the rationale for recommending the JASO MA on the LX scooter. So I also wonder whether all the Piaggio requirements in terms of engine oil have real merit or not...
confused.gif
confused.gif

Anyway, what would you buy if the options are the ones that I list?
Any other suggestion/ recommendation?

Thank you very much!

You don't have a wet clutch.
You don't need 5w40.
You don't need a full synthetic.
Sportcity 250 and Scarabeo owner here... I also care for a Genuine Buddy.
Valvoline VR-1 20w50 is my goto, and first choice.
After that, Valvoline Motorcycle oil, either 10w40 or 20w50. AutoZone, and Advance carry both.

Last edited:
What has it had in it to this point?

What does the dealer sell?

Out of your list I’d probably do T6 because it is likely to be available and reasonably priced.

Mobil 1 Racing™ 4T 10W-40 might also be a viable choice - usually under $10.00 at Walmart.

I’m guessing it doesn’t hold much?

I own several scooters and ride them all the time.

Does your engine have a real oil filter? Most scooters just have a "screen".

If the scooter doesn't have a filter, I'd use just about any oil you want, but change it every 800-1000 miles. It's easy to do. If it's an air cooled engine, I'd use any a 40 weight oil. I prefer to use a 5w40 oils (Rotella T6, Mobil 1 TDT, etc. etc.)

If you have a real oil filter on this scooter, then you can go 2000 miles before changing the oil.

Scooters are HIGH REVVING engines and shear the snot out of oil. So at least use a 40 weight oil in it.

I have 25k miles on my Honda Ruckus. I've never had an issue. Never had to adjust my valves.

How many miles on this 2006 Vespa?

Last edited:
I just got the used Vespa with 2,600 miles on it and I do not have dealers close by (would be a 2 hours ride).
Also, the scooter is air cooled and it has a real filter (the cartridge) that will be changed with the oil.

Since your vespa have separate gearbox oil... And it does not have wet clutch... You can use whatever 4T oil you want...

For "how to" just ask uncle google
wink.gif

I like amsoil 10w40 scooter oil for my air cooled scooters. But I have no factual reason, I just like amsoil and its available at my local napa.

Thanks for the replies and indications!.

bmwpowere36m3, you are the first one giving some feedback on the Liqui-Moly 5W-40 product. I also think that my LX and your ET4 (if it is a 150 cc)have the same Leader engine.
All things considered I think I woill go with the Castrol Edge this time.

Thnaks
edg

Honestly i think any Xw40 synthetic would be a great choice. These small engines don't seem to really care as long as you don't go too light or run too long of an interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back