Husqvarna 850-12 transmission service

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Husqvarna 850-12 which is an articulating mower which is a rear wheel drive and rear wheel steer rider. It turns very sharp but is not too good on hills. Mine has an 11hp Briggs Intek so not real strong but does ok. I have a hilly yard and pull a plug aerator and a dethatcher with it sometimes even while mowing. It has a Tuff Torq 5 speed transmission that I am not sure if it should have the fluid changed or be serviced since I am rather hard on it. Mower is pictured below.

Last year I bought a Toro zero turn with steering wheel. It did great on the hills but in 2 weeks burned out the hydrostatic drive due to the hills. Overheated it and it was toast.

My Husky seems to be holding up ok but it is aging and I would like to keep it going without to much money into it.

http://www.machexpo.com/pictures/57995/208955.jpg

Originally Posted By: spk2000
Last year I bought a Toro zero turn with steering wheel. It did great on the hills but in 2 weeks burned out the hydrostatic drive due to the hills. Overheated it and it was toast.

shocked2.gif
I have thought about those for my hilly property as well but dang! Neighbor has used a Cub Cadet steering wheel zero turn (I think it's the same thing as the Toro) for the last 3 years or so with no problems. Their yard is huge but completely flat.

Someone else may know better than me, but if that transaxle is a 5-speed, it probably doesn't have fluid to change. Most mowers with manual transaxles are filled with grease from the factory that never really needs changing (I think
27.gif
) . Usually the engine, deck, frame, etc... will wear out long before the manual transaxles.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, the TuffTorq 5-spd fender shift transaxle on the John Deere GT262 garden tractor my family had for years recommended 10w30 motor oil. This rider was a ~1992 model year. All else fails you can email Tufftorq or browse the interwebs with the trans p/n.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back