Big fire, choppers grounded

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're having problems at the Opera Wild Fire in Riverside County, California. There are people flying drones in the area shooting video of the fire and that grounded all the fire fighting choppers. They are asking people to cease and desist but still the choppers are grounded because of lack of cooperation.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
Shoot those [censored] things out of the sky!

I would guess an issue is that a lot of them are so small that they might not be seen until it's too late and they've already damaged or brought down a chopper.

I bet all these "rogue" drone operators think they're really cool anti-authoritarians...and would wet their pants if cops or federal agents showed up at their doors.

Same people who: Park in handicapped spots because it's just for a couple minutes
Stop traffic to make an illegal turn over a pair of double yellows and two separate solid white lines to the gas station because doing it legally will take them one minute.
Driving straight from a turn only lane because they don't want to wait.
Speeding up to cut someone off who is trying to back out of a parking space.
The exception to the rule when it suits them. Rant over.

A few bad apples make the legal licensed operators look bad that try to operate with the tight parameters set by the FAA
Load up a few 10 gauge shot guns and find some trap shooters and let them loose.

Last edited:

Hmmm... yeah let's shoot high power rounds into the sky... to come down miles away...

Jamming or electronically disabling maybe.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Hmmm... yeah let's shoot high power rounds into the sky... to come down miles away...

I surely hope not using any solid projectile. I suggested a 10 gauge . With a couple ounces of #8 it looks like a swarm of fast gnats and will go no further than hundred or so yards with any force.

You obviously don't understand how a shotgun works.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

You obviously don't understand how a shotgun works.

Yeah I literally laughed out loud. "High power" rounds out of a shotgun?? W T F? Its a shotgun. You would shoot bird shot in it to disable a drone. Any shot would fall to the ground harmlessly within 200-300 yards, hurting nothing.

I'm all for licensing hunters to shoot drones without say flashing red lights. Legal operators can strobe their drones as a condition of use. No strobe - fair game
laugh.gif

Most of the larger prosumer models have several lights. I have a $40 Syma with strobes and a 32 inch helicopter that has lights as well. Help with orientation etc. Some of the DJI quads won't fly in many programmed areas.

Try Googling fcc jamming faq

Now, if you want to hit it with a high-power laser that melts it into incapacity, the FCC won't stop you, but the FDA might.

First off, the OP didn't say shotgun did he? Second, pretty big assumption the shooter will be in shotshell range to begin with. Shooting them down is just dumb (luck). Drone jamming gear will be part of LE's standard kit in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back