Chevy Astro van vs full-sized Express

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have an Astro who upgraded to an Express but regretted it?

I would like opinions on the driving experience. Handling? Noisy? Harsh riding?

Purpose: mobile tent and expedition vehicle for road trips.

The Express is much bigger and would swallow everything I need and more. But I worry about how it drives and rides for long trips (thousands of miles). It would detract from the experience if I couldn't stand it.

Interestingly, I understand that gas mileage between the 2 are essentially identical, some reports even say Express gets better mileage despite size, weight and bigger engine.

I have driven an 07 express a fair number of miles over several years and always was always impressed with it. No experience with a (post 2000) Astro.

My dad got a 2007 Express in 2010 and had it until this past fall. I used it often for chores or moving many people. It always got impressive mileage for it's size, and was really easy to drive. The NVH on the highway was impressive and even better than my mom's 2007 Equinox (which is a pretty mediocre vehicle to begin with IMO). It also made an excellent tow vehicle on a number of occasions. Unless you need to navigate city traffic a lot, get the Express. The vehicle was pretty fauless until about 150k/6 years and the a/c compressor decided to spontaneously disintegrate - which was wholly unwarranted given our mild climate and little use of it, as well as regular maintenance on it (checking charge, running it in winter months to insure lubrication, etc.).

Last edited:
Astro is a lot easier to park and navigate in the city. Legroom is tight, and they are noisy.

Express is a lot more comfortable, more room upfront and of course a lot more in the back. On the highway they are a nice driving vehicle, the additional wheelbase really makes the ride more comfortable.

We've had both in the fleets at work, and both held up well.

Express covers a lot of ground they can go up to 3500 LWB and come in cargo and passenger van configurations.

I put ~168,000 on a modified 1500 passenger van with a 5.3 and before that about 90,000 on a modified 1500 cargo van with a 4.3 all over the US.

The passenger van was pleasant, rode and drove well and was fairly quiet, had good power and reasonable fuel economy. The cargo van was not.

Before that I spent some time in a modified astro, though much less time and not as far reaching, my recollection is that even the Express cargo van was a better drive but we are going back a lot of years.

Neither one of the express were particularly troublesome.

You might consider a full size Transit if it is in the budget.

Last edited:
One of my brothers is a commercial HVAC tech. He said the GM 4.8 V8 engine sucks. They are a pig and get less fuel economy than the 6.0L he claims.
The vans are loaded down with tools, ladders, parts and refrigerant tanks. They use to have Fords but the owner got tired of transmission issues.
They had a few diesel Sprinter vans that got very good fuel economy, but was offset by reliability and the cost of repairs costing a fortune.

I used to own the twin GMC Safari and regretted that. P.I.T.A having to do maintenance on the engine from inside the van. Express is just a bigger version of the same but it would be a nice upgrade otherwise to an Astro that was discontinued 12 years ago. Depending on how old of an Express you want.

The Astro was last built when? 15 years ago?

Are we really comparing apples to apples?

Why not look at a sprinter?

Full size vans in general are pretty decent to drive on the highway and fuel economy isn't too horrible.
Ride quality will depend upon suspension option.
An unladen one ton van will have a harsher ride than the same in a half ton.
A longer wheelbase version will generally offer a better ride than a shorty.
Were I you, I'd upgrade to a full sizer without a second thought.
The Astro was never all that great a vehicle to drive or to ride in.
Of course, I'd also recommend a Ford E series over a Chevy, but then I have and drive an E350.

Awesome feedback so far, everyone.

Looks like people are steering me towards the Express. The big vans are much larger though. How's finding parking in big cities? e.g. street parking in a downtown core? Underground or parking garage height limitations a problem?

Over the upcoming years, I'd like to explore much of N. America. Worried that in a metropolitan area, it could be like trying to find parking for an RV.

Originally Posted By: BobandWeave
Awesome feedback so far, everyone.

Looks like people are steering me towards the Express. The big vans are much larger though. How's finding parking in big cities? e.g. street parking in a downtown core? Underground or parking garage height limitations a problem?

Over the upcoming years, I'd like to explore much of N. America. Worried that in a metropolitan area, it could be like trying to find parking for an RV.

Haven't found a parking garage the Express 1500 won't fit in. Parallel parking actually isn't bad since the steering radius is relatively tight for such a large vehicle, you just need to find a space long enough for 2 Cruzes.
grin2.gif

You will find many Express/Savanna vans in every city in the US. You'll find a place to park it, it just won't be like parking a car. An Astro/Safari will be easier, but they aren't tiny either.

Higher trim levels in either van will have better sound deadening and will be more comfortable on long drives.

An Express will have better parts availability, especially when travelling (every dealer and parts store has parts for the Express), and may actually be cheaper to own from a repair standpoint because of that. For example, GM changed the shift cable on the Astro, but the bracket required to adapt the new cable is now discontinued. We had an Astro at work with a broken cable and had to use one from a junkyard to fix it. You are much less likely to run into situations like that with an Express/Savanna, especially after 2003 or so.

That said, I do like Astros and they are pretty durable. If you find a nice one, go for it.

Thanks also to dishdude and Ranger. You've helped me make up my mind: Express.

How old (as in model year) should I reasonably go? 2003 / 2004 / 2005 vans ok?

Wikipedia, normally a wealth of info for various generations of most vehicles, is quite terse on the Express.

If anyone knows of a resource that describes the differences / improvements over the years, I'd appreciate it.

You'll want to look at 2003+ to get an LS V8 (4.8, 5.3, 6.0). The 5.0/5.7 V8s and 4.3 V6s are good, durable engines, but an LS V8 is preferable for just about every reason you can think of, especially in a vehicle this size. A 2003+ 6.0L short wheelbase passenger van would be ideal for what you want to do IMO. Those aren't as common as ragged out cargo vans, but no harder to find than a clean Astro would be.

Express/Savanna all day VS a Astro/Safari. Fullsize Vans don't change much over their production run besides upgrades in powertrain....That goes for GM & Ford.

Don't forget the Express can also come with a Duramax Diesel (Derated version of the one found in trucks), An Ex-Ambulance can probably be picked up cheap at auction, '06 & up are the best. HVAC Tech's & Plumbers are putting crazy amounts of miles on these!! They have upgraded alternators & electrical system already in place, Lot's of storage, Upgraded brakes etc. They are Dual Rear Wheel though.....

A regular length Chevy Express is 10 inches longer than a 1990s rear drive chev caprice. I drove one for years, they are easier to park than you might think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back