Ford 6R80 transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
How robust is the ford's 6R80 transmission ?

What is the best care for these? drain and fill every 30k?

This would be in a transit van.

Thanks,

It is an excellent transmission. Even in it's first year in the F150, of 2009. It is made under license by Ford. It's based on a ZF 6 speed automatic that has been around since 2000.

It's robust, tows well (with a transmission fluid cooler) , upshifts well and lasts a very long time. What it is not, is uber-smooth. It is a heavy duty unit and will, from time to time, downshift somewhat harshly. Fluid temperature is about the only common problem, and then, only on heavily loaded vehicles not equipped with the "tow package's" large transmission fluid cooler.

It uses Mercon LV (low viscosity) fluid and holds a LOT in the pan. About 2 gallons! So, when you change the filter by pulling the pan, expect to drain a lot.

Many of them do not have the long fill tubes we associate with automatics. Instead, they install a "shortie" dipstick on the fill port, on the side of the transmission.

Install a drain plug on the pan for easy fluid changes. Drain out nearly 2 gallons, install nearly 2 gallons. Done. I'm not at all sure it needs to be done every 30K. More likely every 60K.

Last edited:
It has a good reputation in the Mustang world as well. Quite a few people throw boost at it without issues.

Originally Posted By: stockrex

Thanks,

Transit 350 van/wagon?

The owners manual for our Transit 350s list the service intervals as 150,000 (fluid and filter swap). Now, if you WANT to run it to 150K miles without a swap, Ford says you can. However, 30,000 sounds like a short-selling this by an extreme margin. That is 20% the life of the fluid. That is akin to changing the oil every 1,000-1,500 to be safe on 5,000-7,500 intervals. Even 60k miles would be only going 40%. Personally, I think I will go 100K as it is rear axle-fluid... and 100K miles is easy for us to remember if I am being safe.

I keep my Transit vehicles on the road 14+ hours a day, log only 170 miles, and operate as a transit vehicle. Stop/go and load unload 2,000 pounds of meat 5 times a hour all day. No issues so far.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
It is an excellent transmission. Even in it's first year in the F150, of 2009. It is made under license by Ford. It's based on a ZF 6 speed automatic that has been around since 2000.

It's robust, tows well (with a transmission fluid cooler) , upshifts well and lasts a very long time. What it is not, is uber-smooth. It is a heavy duty unit and will, from time to time, downshift somewhat harshly. Fluid temperature is about the only common problem, and then, only on heavily loaded vehicles not equipped with the "tow package's" large transmission fluid cooler.

It uses Mercon LV (low viscosity) fluid and holds a LOT in the pan. About 2 gallons! So, when you change the filter by pulling the pan, expect to drain a lot.

Many of them do not have the long fill tubes we associate with automatics. Instead, they install a "shortie" dipstick on the fill port, on the side of the transmission.

Install a drain plug on the pan for easy fluid changes. Drain out nearly 2 gallons, install nearly 2 gallons. Done. I'm not at all sure it needs to be done every 30K. More likely every 60K.

Cujet,
Mine has the heavy duty towing package, not sure about the size of the cooler,
I love the external drain plug idea, I will have to wait till the powertrain warranty is over to install that.

The most I will tow with this is my little boat, $2000lb total, I tow my 8500lb camper with my duramax.

I wonder if the ecu keeps track of the trany temp and if the ford dash displays it.

Is that Mercon LV a synthetic fluid?
I have not been underneath it but I read that it does not have dip stick and accessing the pan one as to drop a cross member.

Agree, 60k miles will be a good time, especially as the powertrain warranty runs out at 60k.

Thanks,

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Cujet - I think the 6R80 is spec'd for Mercon SP.

RooflessVW, Cujet is correct, here are the fluid spec from Ford.

Motor oil (U.S. and Mexico): Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil XO-5W20-QSP WSS-M2C945-A
Motor oil (Canada): Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Super Premium Motor Oil CXO-5W20-LSP12 WSS-M2C945-A
Engine coolant (U.S. and Mexico): Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant Prediluted VC-3DIL-B WSS-M97B44-D2
Engine coolant (Canada): Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant Prediluted CVC-3DIL-B WSS-M97B44-D2
Brake fluid: Motorcraft® DOT 4 LV High Performance Motor Vehicle Brake Fluid PM-20 WSS-M6C65-A2
Automatic transmission fluid (U.S. and Mexico): Motorcraft® MERCON LV Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-10-QLVC WSS-M2C938-A MERCON LV
Automatic transmission fluid (Canada): Motorcraft® MERCON LV Automatic Transmission Fluid CXT-10-LV12 WSS-M2C938-A MERCON LV

Rear axle fluid (limited slip): Motorcraft® SAE 75W-85 Premium Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lubricant XY-75W85-QL WSS-M2C942-A
Rear axle fluid (conventional): Motorcraft® SAE 75W-85 Premium Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lubricant XY-75W85-QL WSS-M2C942-A
Rear axle friction modifier (U.S. and Mexico): Motorcraft® Additive Friction Modifier XL-3 EST-M2C118-A
Rear axle friction modifier (Canada): Motorcraft® Additive Friction Modifier CXL-3 EST-M2C118-A
Power steering fluid (U.S. and Mexico): Motorcraft® MERCON LV Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-10-QLVC WSS-M2C938-A MERCON LV
Power steering fluid (Canada): Motorcraft® MERCON LV Automatic Transmission Fluid CXT-10-LV12 WSS-M2C938-A MERCON LV
Windshield washer fluid (U.S. and Mexico): Motorcraft® Premium Windshield Wash Concentrate with Bitterant ZC-32-B2 WSS-M14P19-A
Windshield washer fluid (Canada): Motorcraft® Premium Quality Windshield Washer Fluid CXC-37-(A, B, D, F) WSS-M14P19-A
A/C refrigerant (U.S. and Mexico): Motorcraft® R-134a Refrigerant YN-19 WSH-M17B19-A
A/C refrigerant (Canada): Motorcraft® R-134a Refrigerant CYN-16-R WSH-M17B19-A
A/C refrigerant compressor oil: Motorcraft® PAG Refrigerant Compressor Oil YN-12-D WSH-M1C231-B
Grease: Premium Long-Life Grease XG-1-E1 ESA-M1C75-B

Thanks,

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Originally Posted By: stockrex

Thanks,

Transit 350 van/wagon?

The owners manual for our Transit 350s list the service intervals as 150,000 (fluid and filter swap). Now, if you WANT to run it to 150K miles without a swap, Ford says you can. However, 30,000 sounds like a short-selling this by an extreme margin. That is 20% the life of the fluid. That is akin to changing the oil every 1,000-1,500 to be safe on 5,000-7,500 intervals. Even 60k miles would be only going 40%. Personally, I think I will go 100K as it is rear axle-fluid... and 100K miles is easy for us to remember if I am being safe.

I keep my Transit vehicles on the road 14+ hours a day, log only 170 miles, and operate as a transit vehicle. Stop/go and load unload 2,000 pounds of meat 5 times a hour all day. No issues so far.

Yes Sir
Yes, 150k service is weird for a lack of a better word. I plan on keeping this for a while and actually if this works out I plan on getting another one for my Canadian fishing trips :)

Ok, I like to do a Drain and fill early in the life to get rid of breakin materials and then half of service recommendation.
My vehicles sit a lot without use and then see a lot of idle times.

How are you transits holding up, 14 hours, wow, do you have the 3.5 twin turbo engine?
170 miles and 14 hours, exactly the type of use I will see :)
My girls are super scared of bugs so they insist on keeping the air running when we stop anywhere.

Thanks,

Originally Posted By: Anthony
It has a good reputation in the Mustang world as well. Quite a few people throw boost at it without issues.

Good deal, I plan on getting an aftermarket cat back exhaust after my powertrain warranty is up.
I watched Stacey on youtube gaining 40hp with an aftermarket catback, wow!
Thanks,

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Cujet - I think the 6R80 is spec'd for Mercon SP.

Roofless, the 6R80's in both my F150's use Mercon LV. As do many of the other vehicles with this transmission. If a newer version of this transmission uses a different fluid, I am unaware of it.

Mercon LV is a synthetic fluid.

Last edited:
As for durability of the 6R80> In the Transit at least the number of frictions and steels varies according to which engine is in there. The 3.7L engine gets fewer than the ecoboost and diesel. Don't know if this is done in other applications of the 6R80.
And it isn't just a crossmember to drop to get the pan off either- it is the entire front subframe so if it doesn't go back EXACTLY where it came off an alignment will be needed.

I have a case of Mercon LV coming later this week so I plan on doing the suck out what I can and replace the same amount, I'm at 45k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back