Which tire shine product to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard that petroleum distillates in tire shine products cause the rubber to crack. Apparently this is a controversial topic.

Anyways, which product should I use then? Thanks!

None would be my suggestion.
smile.gif

Depends. if you buy tires within 5 years and apply once a month or so.. no big deal.
Esp if you avoid the worst tire shines.

I knew a guy who shined twice a week.. and his sidewalls were dryrotted and trash in 2 years.
the inside sidewalls(part of tire facing engine) were like brand new just dirty.

303 is very safe but it only lasts a few weeks and isnt glossy.

FWIW: He used armor all pro and black magic.. but that was 10 years ago too.
Many of them have changed formulas.

Originally Posted By: vgliou
I've heard that petroleum distillates in tire shine products cause the rubber to crack. Apparently this is a controversial topic.

Anyways, which product should I use then? Thanks!

Use the good stuff or none at all. The cheapie ones will turn the tires brown in a short time. The better ones, like the Surf City one mentioned will do a very good job. Plus it has a money back guarantee.

Barrett Jackson Tire Shine is also very good and won't brown the tires, even says so on the label. I bought it at Walmart but it looks as though they don't carry it any more.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
smile.gif

x2

Free and faster.

x3

I wouldn't worry too much about cracking as long as you don't over do it.

We got a used car for my Mom last year with 5 year old Michelin tires that had good tread left but lots of side wall cracking and I'm pretty sure they never had any tire shine products used on them.

Personally, I use Westley's Bleach White then follow with STP tire foam, spray on, wipe off and leaves a nice low gloss sheen, not that greasy look.

http://www.stp.com/products/appearance-products/son-of-a-gun-one-step-tire-care/

(P.S.- tire browning or "blooming" has little to do with tire shine products).

I use Adam's tire shine. It's an excellent product and despite the price a bottle will last a very long time when applied with an applicator.
https://www.detailersdomain.com/collections/wheels-and-tires/products/adams-tire-shine-16-oz

On the MDX I don't use any because I didn't want to get into the situation where it constantly needs it because the tires eventually look discolored after it wears off. To be fair, the Adam's doesn't have this effect, when it wears off it wears off.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
303 Aerospace

I have used this myself, for some time. Make sure the tire is VERY clean, let dry completely, spray liberally on an applicator and apply to the entire tire in multiple passes for thorough coverage, then let it dry, and repeat once more.

Nice dark satin finish, just enough shine, without being gaudy. No sling and no stickiness for dust to cling to.

Thanks everyone. Any thoughts on the AutoGlym product? Apparently it's water based and doesn't have petroleum distillates?

Sorry I'm bringing in another product. It's hard to buy some of the ones mentioned in this thread in Canada. Thanks all!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: surfstar
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
smile.gif

x2

Free and faster.

x3

x4 This is the one area of my car I don't detail (and I love to detail!). I find just giving the tires a good wash with my car shampoo and soft wheel brush I use on the alloy wheels keeps the tires looking just fine. I once read up on the topic and as I recall tires bloom antioxidants to the surface so don't see a need to try and improve on that. Michelin used to make a product called 3 in 1 tire that I was thinking about trying years ago but then it disappeared.

Meguiars NXT Gen Insane Shine is my favorite, started using Armor All on my tires back in the early 70's and have never had any problems with the tires browning or cracking
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: vgliou
Thanks everyone. Any thoughts on the AutoGlym product? Apparently it's water based and doesn't have petroleum distillates?

Sorry I'm bringing in another product. It's hard to buy some of the ones mentioned in this thread in Canada. Thanks all!

That should be a good product to use. Meets all the criteria I look for.

303 is no good on tires...it's a dust magnet...the best stuff I've used is Stoner's More Shine...lasts longer and looks better...

Originally Posted By: grampi
303 is no good on tires...it's a dust magnet...the best stuff I've used is Stoner's More Shine...lasts longer and looks better...

303 DOES NOT attract dust, that's what makes it different. It will not last as long on tires or on the exterior because its water based. Boat people luv this stuff!

Last edited:
I like Chemical Guys VRP dressing. I usually only shine my tires if we are going someplace special or I am trying to impress my father in law

Originally Posted By: 007
Originally Posted By: grampi

303 DOES NOT attract dust, that's what makes it different. It will not last as long on tires or on the exterior because its water based. Boat people luv this stuff!
It always attracted dust when I've used it...switched to Stoner's More Shine...doesn't attract dust, looks better, and last longer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back