Lifetime replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm approaching 45k and five years in a '12 Avalon, "sealed trans".
Debating using the WS from Toyota vs. Redline D6.
Friend has an exchange machine, so only the leveling at correct temperature will be the task.
He is a retired Toyota tech, so the work will be straightforward. So he tells me.

My hesitation on the D6 is different thermal properties giving a false full reading. The two fluids may not expand at the same rate or temp.
Worth the worry?

I'm not a fan of Toyotas fluid. I believe its still made by Mobil. I have found it does not seem to hold up as well as aftermarket Syn fluids.

I've used Maxlife and Havoline Multi-Syn fluid in many Toyota trans.

If you want to go exotic ways, ENEOS Sustina has WS certified product. In my experience for my equipment and application, WS held up fine for 400k miles. YMMV

My xB is a WS fluid vehicle, but has a drain plug so is easy to do a drain and fill on.
After reading about the fluids others have used for WS transmissions, I chose Maxlife ATF when I did the drain and fill @ 30,000 miles. It seems to shift a little smoother now, and no problems yet (but only about 7,000 miles since I did it).
I plan on using some Havoline Multi Vehicle Syn @ 60,000 miles (I have 4 qts left over from the 12 qt case when I did my mom's Vue).

If your doing a complete change, the WS would probably be just fine (so long as you do it again in another 30-40,000 miles).

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Did it shift nice and perform well for the first 45K miles? If so, stick with factory recommended fluid.

Yes, and that is another reason I'm leaning towards the WS.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
What's the price difference between OE and aftermarket fluid?

About 50% more for the synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
If you want to go exotic ways, ENEOS Sustina has WS certified product. In my experience for my equipment and application, WS held up fine for 400k miles. YMMV

What kind of Toyota did u have where u ran the atf fluid for 400k?

Thanks for the thought on the ENEOS products, I'm not familiar with them. 400k !

This car is driven by a woman in stop and go, short mileage, urban driving, with no regard to care.
It is a task to get the car from her for service. When I do get it, I like to do as much as I can with the right product and procedure.
I could see this car being in the family for twenty years, so preemptive service is not a waste.
I'm thinking trans service now at 45k, followed by a repeat in another four to five years (40k) using WS as the most reliable choice.
Thanks all for your thoughts.

When I got my xB at 72k miles in August '16 - the tranny shifted funny and harsh. Fluid was pitch black. As mentioned above - this xb requires a WS fluid. Changed with Maxlife synthetic ATF. Shifting improved, but fluid was still dark. In 5k miles I changed it again. Every change only 3.4 quarts get replaced. Full capacity is 10 quarts or more probably. Not 100% sure on that... So after the change shifting improved even more, but after a couple trips to the mountains loaded up - the transmission feel&performance went back to square one. Then I changed the fluid one more time and added 10oz bottle of Lubegard Platinum ATF additive. Vehicle is at 90k miles now, shifting a WHOLE LOT better than it ever did, and the fluid stays nice and pink. I blame Maxlife+Lubegard Platinum for this success. Long live Scion xB!

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Did it shift nice and perform well for the first 45K miles? If so, stick with factory recommended fluid.

Your suggestion was taken and I'm grateful I did.
Car shifts smooth as silk. Tech had WS that he wanted to get rid of, transfer machine, and threw in a free p/s fluid exchange.
My lucky day.
Thanks bubba.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI

My hesitation on the D6 is different thermal properties giving a false full reading. The two fluids may not expand at the same rate or temp.
Worth the worry?

What thermal properties would cause a false full reading?

FIll with the amount of fluid specified minus 1/4 Liter and then do a hot run then recheck; top off as necessary.

Redline D6 or Amsoil ATL would be good choices.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back