Old tire leaking at bead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not just take it to a shop and have them fix it? Goodyear fixes flats for free and they don't even charge for balancing. I used to go to Town Fair Tire which also fixed flats for free but charged $4 for balancing.

If the leak is due to corrosion under the bead then you may be able to reseat the bead in a different orientation.

But if the bead itself is bad then good luck. New tire time.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Why not just take it to a shop and have them fix it? Goodyear fixes flats for free and they don't even charge for balancing. I used to go to Town Fair Tire which also fixed flats for free but charged $4 for balancing.

How are they going to fix it?

Break the bead from the rim (at least on that side), check for / remove rust from the rim and any that is stuck to the tire, apply sealant.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Take some of this advice. Tires are kind of important especially if you drive the car anywhere near me.

Agreed. I'll be avoiding that 40 year old Toyota you drive, like the plague. The vette hasn't moved since June when I took it to get inspected. All my tires rot before they wear out.

I had a set of older snow tires on corroded alloy wheels. They had started off new together. They would take turns leaking - always a slow leak. The wheel-tire unit could be temporarily fixed by taking the tire off - cleaning things up, applying some sort of tire dressing and reassembling. But it was costing a lot and getting me no-where.

I checked out getting the wheels sand blasted and powder coated. But that would have cost more than I paid for the wheels in the first place. And the shop said they didn't think they would look all that good.

So I scrapped both the alloy wheels and snow tires.

Scuff up the old bead slightly with scotchbrite. Be careful, the rubber is pretty thin in spots. But you also want a shiny rim for it to pop onto and that revulcanizing goo just to be sure.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Take some of this advice. Tires are kind of important especially if you drive the car anywhere near me.

Agreed. I'll be avoiding that 40 year old Toyota you drive, like the plague. The vette hasn't moved since June when I took it to get inspected. All my tires rot before they wear out.

??? Do you mean the 33 year old Civic or the 14 year old 4Runner? The Civic tires are Michelins and they are do to be replaced this summer. Waiting for the right sale. I always buy the best tires I can afford even for an old car.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

How are they going to fix it?

I've had tires with slow leaks before. They used to just take the tire off the rim and clean up the rims with a wire brush and then clean it and remount the tire and it would usually be fine afterwards. The alloy rims I had were a little beat so I never noticed if they made the rim look worse or not. Probably not.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Warning:

Do not use silicone spray anywhere around tires. Every rim slippage problem I investigated had silicone spray involved somewhere.

Agreed. Tires slip on the rims. Hit the brakes hard and suddenly the tires are out of balance.

Wouldn't a generous amount of bead sealer do the trick? [After dismounting and cleaning out any corrosion.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back