'Broad Spectrum' ATF, how does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks,

I don't understand ATF chemistry so apologies in advance if this is a stupid question.

I plan to drain ATF in my 2006 Sentra for the first time, with ~103,000 miles on it. Although the fluid is still red/pink, I have never changed it nor do I remember paying for the change. So as an insurance, I am planning to drain.

I am toying between the use of Nissan Matic-D type ATF or aftermarket. Many are suggesting Valvoline Max Life ATF. Found the following link on another thread about its compatibility. This fluid is compatible with all Nissan fluids, in addition to other brands. What I don't understand how one fluid can be compatible with all of these? I assume they are named differently because they ARE different, right?

Any clarification in this regard is welcome. Thanks in advance.

they're similar enough for it to be possible to make a fluid that meets all of them
smile.gif

Transmissions are very expensive. Be careful with your choice, very careful. Take the time to do exactly what you're doing, research, ask and if there is any doubt after all this then default toward a fluid that is made specifically for your vehicle instead of a one size fits many.

I use Red Line D4 in my 2003 4Runner. I periodically drain the pan (usually 4 quarts) and replace it with new D4. I have a bit over 160K miles with a lot of dirt roads and towing and so far, so good.

Your query has got me thinking that maybe I'll send in a sample to see how things are going. I'll post the results. Thanks for the reminder.

I'll take this opportunity to make my first post (yay!) and chime in. Just this weekend, I switched my 2004 Nissan Quest over to Maxlife ATF from Matic-D. The sloppy 1st to 2nd shift appears to have completely smoothed over (now at 142,000 miles). If you have any concern, stay with the Matic-D, but many have had great results with Maxlife ATF. As to how they meet many different specs, I couldn't tell you. I'm not that well versed on the chemical compositions. Generally, I would tend to argue stay with a specific fluid that is spec'd for the application and not a universal type. In my case, however, the spec'd Matic-D fluid just wasn't cutting it and was a lot more expensive. Good luck with whatever you decide!

What a really good question!

I've always wondered the same, and just figured it was because they were similar enough that you could meet each of the specs well enough to be functional.

You bring up a good point though, are we losing something extra on one spec to meet a minimum requirement of another?

Tagging along.

Originally Posted By: 28oz
The sloppy 1st to 2nd shift appears to have completely smoothed over (now at 142,000 miles).

I didn't mention in the OP, but my car jerks between 1st to 2nd shift every time whether I accelerate gently or not. The jerk is like whole car jerks, only once and then it smoothens. Lately, a subtle jerk started between 2nd to 3rd. Can you explain your sloppy shift? Was it the same feeling?

FWIW, I never take this car on highways because it rattles beyond 60mph, it always did (bought pre-owned at 72,000 on the odometer). I thought that's the pleasure of buying an econobox.

Last edited:
Yeah, it wasn't every time either. Sometimes it was a jerk, and other times, I'd describe it more of a stumble......like it just didn't know what to do. A couple gallons of Maxlife shouldn't be prohibitively expensive to try out. If it doesn't work, drain it and put Matic-D back in. IMO, it's worth a try. It sure helped mine.

Cannot answer original question but I changed Kia FF ATF on 2014 Forte at 30K miles to MaxLife and shifting improved (silky smooth now) quite noticeably.

And new fluid will smooth the shifting when compared to the worn fluid that you replace.

NissanMatic S replaces NissanMatic D in most applications, except for the Nissan Transfer Cases which still specify NissanMatic S, or Dex/Merc.

The secret of Multi-Vehicle ATF's such as MaxLife or D4 or D6 or Amsoil ATF's is the mix of specialized friction modifier chemistry's which cover a spectrum of dynamic friction coefficients.

We're using Castrol ATF Multivehicle at my work. We're pretty much exclusively working on Hyundai or Mitsubishi transmissions though.

Keeping one engine oil, one ATF, one MT oil and one two differential oils in stock only, suitable for all vehicles we service, avoids mistakes. We have one LS diff oil, and one non-LS.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
NissanMatic S replaces NissanMatic D in most applications, except for the Nissan Transfer Cases which still specify NissanMatic S, or Dex/Merc.

The secret of Multi-Vehicle ATF's such as MaxLife or D4 or D6 or Amsoil ATF's is the mix of specialized friction modifier chemistry's which cover a spectrum of dynamic friction coefficients.

Whoops, should have said:

NissanMatic S replaces NissanMatic D in most applications, except for the Nissan Transfer Cases which still specify NissanMatic D, or Dex/Merc.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
they're similar enough for it to be possible to make a fluid that meets all of them
smile.gif

Except..... Mercon V

Valvoline MaxLife labeling indicates MerconV coverage except in California which took issue with the viscosity requirement but which PQIA accepted a statement indicating Valvoline's line of reasoning.

Quote:
*Please note that legislation in California prohibits Valvoline from recommending MaxLife™ ATF in certain applications where the viscometrics of MaxLife™ ATF do not match those of the official OEM specification. Valvoline therefore does not recommend the use of MaxLife™ ATF in these applications in California.

Of course we are aware of California's pendent for Overregulation.

Last edited:
Matic-D is nothing to write home about. With Matic-D in my Infiniti, I found the shifting would get sloppy 15k miles after a D&F. I switched to MaxLife and haven't looked back since.

ML & LG Red ftw!

As a previous service mgr at a Nissan dealer, after conversations with our different oil reps, we ended up going to a bulk multi-atf for everything except the CVT's. The fluid we used was advertised to meet each of the Nissan spec'd fluids, as well as several other manufacturers specs. We never had any issues with transmission reliability or driveability. Several customers had actually said that their transmissions never worked better than after flushing using the multi-atf, and they didn't have any idea of what we were using. They just assumed we were using whatever Nissan recommended for their vehicle. I would not have any concern about using MaxLife or any other reputable brand oil that claims to meet those specs. Some would disagree and religiously recommend against multi atf. I just haven't seen any evidence that you shouldn't use a multi-atf, at least in the case of the Nissan ATF's.

Going to one fluid made it error proof since Nissan had different fluids for different transmissions, and then supercession, etc. It so made for a more cost effective and easier for stocking reasons.

On a side note: a couple of years ago while on a road trip in our VW 6speed Auto, we hit debris in the road that blew out the trans oil pan. I temporarily repaired the pan with JB weld at 4am in the Walmart parking lot where we were. The MaxLife ATF was the only thing with any sort of VW spec, even though it was a different spec from what the service manual stated. After we reached our destination, I purchased a new pan and replaced it. I then filled the trans again with the MaxLife ATF. Drove it all the way home from FL to MI. Once home, I flushed the trans again with MaxLife as maintaience. It has been in there for a few years now and many miles without any issue. In fact, it actually corrected issues that the trans had in the past. Prior to all of this stuff happening, the transmission was rough shifting, and it would studder or downshift very hard going from 3-2-1. The dealership said that there was an issue with the valve body and solenoids that was a somewhat common issue with that particular transmission and there were some TSB's regarding the problem and valve body replacement. That was very expensive so we just decided to live with it. However, after replacing the actual VW fluid with the MaxLife, that issue is completely gone. It shifts flawlessly.

So that is my experience with using a multi-atf in Nissan's and the one personal experience using MaxLife ATF in a vehicle.

I've used MaxLife in a Matic-D/Dex-III Quest and so far, so good. It didn't resolve a gear whine(Nissan and Ford had a TSB out for that) or a clunky 1-2 shift it had but didn't make things worse either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back