0W40 Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I bought a New Dodge Challenger with the SRT and being a oil nut I am checking out the oil it specs and I am not happy.
Apparently it takes Pennzoil Ultra 0W40 without any room to deviate. I have read the Challenger sites and alot of people are going with Mobil 1 but Mobil is even saying they don't meet the specs and are claiming European oil standards, same as Castrol. Amsoil skirts the whole thing and just says we cover it but they do they even have certification.
Naturally Pennzoil knows they corner the market and are making thier oil crazy expensive.
I have two years of dealer oil changes but I hope Castrol or Mobil 1 finds it profitable enough to get thier 0W40 Domestic oil out there or Walmart starts selling Pennzoil cheaper because I love doing my bargin oil changes and that's not happening with this engine and oil specs.
Meanwhile I am sitting on more oil than Suadia Arabia for everything else.

Well, according to the latest "study" we have posted in this section, you can safely use 0w20. You will enjoy less wear and better gas mileage.
lol.gif

Not that I think you'd have a problem with it, but it sounds crazy to have to use 0W40 in Florida. I'd think you could go up to 15WXX easy, unless you're planning to drive to a much colder area in the winter.

Back in 2015:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40 is "good stuff," but its only now making appearances on store shelves. Mobil 1 0w40 is much more common and was the original factory-fill for the 6.1 Hemi when the Challenger/Charger/300 SRT was introduced. With the Fiat merger, Chrysler switched factory fill contracts to SOPUS, so Pennzoil became the choice.

The 12633 spec is kinda silly- its a taxi fleet endurance test that any good API SN oil should easily pass. If you absolutely want to stick to the recommendation to use an oil that meets that spec, currently Pennzoil Ultra 0w40 and Amsoil Signature Series 0w40 are about your only choices. The rumor mill says M1 and others will soon carry it. The real world says M1 is already every bit as good.

Conclusion: Truth is, Mobil1 0w40 is plenty good enough to meet the easy Chrysler MS-12663 spec. Same for any 0w40 you find on the shelf at Walmart, they are all good (Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Euro Platinum too). If youl look at the VOA for the Pennzoil Ultra 0w40, it does have a lot of moly, so its somewhat special.

Has anybody actually ever seen the MS-12633 spec? I've Google searched it, and not found the actual document. My guess is that it's a piston cleanliness requirement that only the Pennzoil can meet with its "Active Cleaning Molecules". Clean pistons are nice, yes, but other 0w40's by major oil producers do nearly as well. If AMSoil has an oil that they say meets the MS-12633 spec, I would say to run that, but it's probably not going to be any less expensive than the Pennzoil. Or just go to WalMart and buy M1 0w40 in the 5-quart jug.

FCA is a small fish in a big pond, and I wouldn't count on major producers to formulate special oils to meet their silly spec.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
So I bought a New Dodge Challenger with the SRT ...because I love doing my bargin oil changes

wow, that's some sound logic
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
So I bought a New Dodge Challenger with the SRT ...because I love doing my bargin oil changes

crazy2.gif

So your logic is because he spent a lot of money on a car he likes he should be happy to bring it to the dealer and pay double the price for an oil change he is capable of and wants to do on his own?

There there is the silly logic...

Last edited:
I know this is a ways off , but look for the SRT 0W40 at Autozone at the end of the year.
I have 12 qts of SRT 0W40 PUP that I purchased Dec 2015 for $2.00 @ qt.

Late to the party....
AutoZone closed out their SRT oil, 2.00 a quart.
I'm using it in a plain vanilla PentaStar 3.6 in a T&C.
If closer, I'd make a deal, but shipping would outweigh any savings you would get.

The logic is that with a performance vehicle you should expect a premium price as far as filter/oil requirements/oil quantities. Not a decrease. No one said anything about having the dealer do it...

Last edited:
It does seem like that every year AutoZone has put the Pennzoil 0w-40 SRT on sale for $2/qt. I have some of that stuff and can't even get $2/qt for it. So I'm figuring it's not that all loved. I'm going to mix it with PP 20 grade for my next few OCI's.

For what its worth, SRT use to recommend Mobil 1 0w40. I had a turbo SRT that suggested it, and a friend had the 6.1 Hemi that also recommend it. In the past couple of years they signed a deal with pennzoil so they now recommend their oil. That 6.1 had 120,000 miles using nothing but M1 0w40 when it was sold, and ran like new. I think any good 0w40 will work well, provided it meets warranty needs.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Back in 2015:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40 is "good stuff," but its only now making appearances on store shelves. Mobil 1 0w40 is much more common and was the original factory-fill for the 6.1 Hemi when the Challenger/Charger/300 SRT was introduced. With the Fiat merger, Chrysler switched factory fill contracts to SOPUS, so Pennzoil became the choice.

The 12633 spec is kinda silly- its a taxi fleet endurance test that any good API SN oil should easily pass. If you absolutely want to stick to the recommendation to use an oil that meets that spec, currently Pennzoil Ultra 0w40 and Amsoil Signature Series 0w40 are about your only choices. The rumor mill says M1 and others will soon carry it. The real world says M1 is already every bit as good.

Conclusion: Truth is, Mobil1 0w40 is plenty good enough to meet the easy Chrysler MS-12663 spec. Same for any 0w40 you find on the shelf at Walmart, they are all good (Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Euro Platinum too). If youl look at the VOA for the Pennzoil Ultra 0w40, it does have a lot of moly, so its somewhat special.

M1 0w40 used to carry this particular Chrysler spec. Then Chrysler cut a deal with SOPUS, and subsequently m1 dropped the Chrysler spec.

What this tells me is that none of the other oils will be carrying this spec anytime soon, not because it's hard to meet, but because Chrysler has some exclusive arrangement with SOPUS.

So I bought a New Dodge Challenger with the SRT and being a oil nut I am checking out the oil it specs and I am not happy.
Apparently it takes Pennzoil Ultra 0W40 without any room to deviate. I have read the Challenger sites and alot of people are going with Mobil 1 but Mobil is even saying they don't meet the specs and are claiming European oil standards, same as Castrol. Amsoil skirts the whole thing and just says we cover it but they do they even have certification.
Naturally Pennzoil knows they corner the market and are making thier oil crazy expensive.
I have two years of dealer oil changes but I hope Castrol or Mobil 1 finds it profitable enough to get thier 0W40 Domestic oil out there or Walmart starts selling Pennzoil cheaper because I love doing my bargin oil changes and that's not happening with this engine and oil specs.
Meanwhile I am sitting on more oil than Suadia Arabia for everything else.

Congrats on the new hot rod and enjoy!

You mentioned Amsoil...even though it's not certified, buy a quart and with a VOA you'll see it's pretty stout, and has just as good of stats as the Pennzoil - if they're jacking up the Pennzoil price....time to move away.

And the manufacturer cannot require an oil to be used...they get around this by requiring all oils used to meet a certain specification....and hmmm if only one meets the specification?
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

crazy2.gif

I bought a new Lincoln that had a 40,000 mile service agreement and it was terriable. I got the car back once a qt of oil low, called them and they said bring it back. It's a 20 minute drive one way. The oil filter most times wasn't tight and after I had it leak once I tightened them all. They said they serviced the transmission at 30,000. At 55,000 when I changed it the yellow production plug fell out. Just because I spend alot of money on a car I would rather not let flunkies service it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
M1 0w40 used to carry this particular Chrysler spec. Then Chrysler cut a deal with SOPUS, and subsequently m1 dropped the Chrysler spec.
What this tells me is that none of the other oils will be carrying this spec anytime soon, not because it's hard to meet, but because Chrysler has some exclusive arrangement with SOPUS.
That shouldn't be legal. I hate new laws, but it would be nice if the auto makers were forced to open up their specs to anybody who wanted to meet it. No money under the table to "force" consumers into one expensive oil. Good old competition for this.

Actually, Amazon.com has it for a not-awful price: https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550040856-6PK-Ultra-Platinum-Synthetic/dp/B00JMCCE6U

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back