Akebono ProACT or Carquest WPPC brake pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 96 Regal needs new front brake pads and rotors.

Over the years I remember reading good reviews about Akebono ProACT and Carquest Wearever Platinum Professional Ceramic brake pads.

I like the idea of buying the Carquest pads locally but if Akebono is considered better I will order them.

Last edited:
I have both of those pads on my vehicles at the moment. Both are good but Akebono is definitely top notch. Akebono is available at AAP with discount codes.

I've got ProACTs on the front, but Hawk HPS on the rears. It was what a shop could get in one day. They're great, but both produce a lot a dust.

I have a set of front ProACTs for my wife's Civic, but they're sitting in the garage. She brought her car into a shop that asked to replace the already failing pads and she said yes. Her car has rear drums though. I got some Wagner drums too. I know a guy who can install them cheap. He has a car just like my wife's so I'm sure he's done this before.

Akebono proact for me, even though not the highest friction, but it gives positive initial bite, consistent, low dust and the most important is gentle to your rotor. I damage my rotor with hawk ceramic before and change to proact

Originally Posted By: Olas
Anything that passes R90 is a start. After that, look for GG or HH friction materials.

I have yet to see car brake pads rated HH...
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: ron350
My 96 Regal needs new front brake pads and rotors.

Over the years I remember reading good reviews about Akebono ProACT and Carquest Wearever Platinum Professional Ceramic brake pads.

I like the idea of buying the Carquest pads locally but if Akebono is considered better I will order them.

Well IDK if the Akebono are better than the CQ however, I can attests to the ProACTs as being the "best" pads I have ever put on a vehicle. "Best" in terms of:

*Low(er) dust...very light colored dust on aluminum wheels(almost couldn't see it).
*Low/no noise EVER!
*Smooth & more consistant braking feel in all temperatures(rain, snow/slush, extreme heat)
*Almost a luxurious feeling each time I stepped on the brake pedal. I can't explain it!

However, the ProACTs didn't seem to last as long as other ceramic pads that I used on the same vehicle over the 14 yrs I had this car. The OE & ProACTs wore the fastest. Evenly but quickly!

And too, those qualities that I mentioned above were all by small margins although noticeable, compared to other pads.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies I will try the Akebono ProACT pads and Centric Premium rotors.

Akebono. They also usually come OEM for a lot of Japanese makes and according to them they pioneered the ceramic pad. Even though it's a Regal probably can't go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back