Off the shelf oil with highest ZDDP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had been using VR1 10w30 oil in my flat tappet engines for years. It was over $5 a quart. I was happy to find Quakerstate Defy 10W30 had high enough levels of ZDDP to protect the cams in older engine for a lot less money than the VR1. The they changed the formula for Defy. So I switched to Rotella 10W30. Now it seems they have changed the formula of that and reduced the level of ZDDP. I can't find what the new level is, Does anyone know the amount of ZDDP in Rotella 10w30 T4, T5 and T6 ? I've also read that Valvoline reduced the ZDDP in VR1 is this true does anyone know the amount of ZDDP in VR1 10w30 ? I'm having a hard time finding this information and want to used the a off the shelf oil with the most ZDDP that I can find. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: 97XLTsplash

Originally Posted By: Donald
Amsoil

This is the 3rd time this week you've been caught not reading the entire post.
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: Warstud

Originally Posted By: Donald
Amsoil

This is the 3rd time this week you've been caught not reading the entire post.
spankme2.gif

What did you expect? Off the shelf means different things to different people
wink.gif

Zddp plusmax, one little bottle to any gf5 or sn oil and the add pack won't be upset by it.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the amount of ZDDP in these oils. I was thinking about using a additive. Without knowing the amount off ZDDP I don't want to end up with too much. I've read that can be as bad as not enough.

Does anyone know the amount of ZDDP in these oils. I was thinking about using a additive. Without knowing the amount off ZDDP I don't want to end up with too much. I've read that can be as bad as not enough.

One of the stoutest oils out there, Mobil1 0w-40, has 20% more ZDDP than the typical Xw30 SN limit. If you need more, add just 1/4 cup of https://rislone.com/product/3x-concentrated-engine-oil-supplement-with-zinc-treatment/ to boost it even further to about 40% more than a standard Xw30 SN oil (1200 ppm total).

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

One of the stoutest oils out there, Mobil1 0w-40, has 20% more ZDDP than the typical Xw30 SN limit. If you need more, add just 1/4 cup of https://rislone.com/product/3x-concentrated-engine-oil-supplement-with-zinc-treatment/ to boost it even further to about 40% more than a standard Xw30 SN oil (1200 ppm total).

Is that still true with the current formulation?

Rotella still has around 1200ppm, one of the Shell reps told me this not too long ago that the CK4 formulation was still this way.

Mobile 1 TDT 5w40

Good for gas engines too, more ZDDP than the mobile 1 0w40

I have a ton of this stuff and plan to use it with 0w20 AFE mobile to reduce the amount of ZDDP for less risk of cats going bad.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
Mobile 1 TDT 5w40

Good for gas engines too, more ZDDP than the mobile 1 0w40

I have a ton of this stuff and plan to use it with 0w20 AFE mobile to reduce the amount of ZDDP for less risk of cats going bad.

Where do you buy Mobile 1? It's not on the shelves around here.

Originally Posted By: FlyPenFly
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Is that still true with the current formulation?

Yes. All current Mobil1 phosphorus (the limited part of ZDDP) is at:
https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. I think on my next oil change I will go with yellow bottle Pennzoil and the Rislone Zinc additive. I think cost wise it's a good way the go and that way I will know my engines have a good amount of ZDDP. I won't have to worry about formula changes in the oils that they don't tell you about.

Thank you everyone. I think on my next oil change I will go with yellow bottle Pennzoil and the Rislone Zinc additive. I think cost wise it's a good way the go and that way I will know my engines have a good amount of ZDDP. I won't have to worry about formula changes in the oils that they don't tell you about.

Excessive ZDDP will prematurely wear your engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back