Castrol GTX Magnatec 5w-30 full synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Based on the stupidity of that sign of the bottle I'd walk past it in a motor oil isle.

Yeah, I agree, the bottles look cheesy. If not for it being cheap at Advance Auto, I would have never looked twice at it.

Send some in for a virgin oil analysis....let's see how it looks.

I had a bunch of this on order with Amazon, but cancelled the order when I wasn't sure if it was the semi or ful synthetic. Going to check into a few Walmarts in the coming weeks as my travels take me past one.

May look cheesy but the simi syn 5w30 sure turns in some impressive UOA in some demanding applications. Esp considering the oils price point! I hope the new full synthetic 5w30 can best it.

Exactly PimTac. Castrol Magnatec 5w30 is a great oil. Everything put into it all I think it is the best bang for the buck oil in the shelf at Wally World. I remember reading Shannow's post about how much synthetic oil it took to pass the first generation Dexos specification. It was between 2/3 to 3/4 had to be group 3 for the oils to pass for it. So, I bet Castrol was like what the hey, let's just make the 5w30 a full synthetic and be done with it. It wasn't a huge change on how it was being blended anyhow. Plus it now gives Castrol the cheapest full synthetic oil on the shelves at Wally World as well.

Thanks to everyone for the info. I went with a Fram UltraGuard filter and am planning on switching the oil and filter out at 7,500. I missed BITOG.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Exactly PimTac. Castrol Magnatec 5w30 is a great oil. Everything put into it all I think it is the best bang for the buck oil in the shelf at Wally World. I remember reading Shannow's post about how much synthetic oil it took to pass the first generation Dexos specification. It was between 2/3 to 3/4 had to be group 3 for the oils to pass for it. So, I bet Castrol was like what the hey, let's just make the 5w30 a full synthetic and be done with it. It wasn't a huge change on how it was being blended anyhow. Plus it now gives Castrol the cheapest full synthetic oil on the shelves at Wally World as well.

Bbhero,
I remember a fascinating thread from some time back where the poster had a conversation with a Castrol engineer about Magnatec. Is that what you are referring to?

A bit of drift here, but I wonder if Magnatec affects the sales of Edge Black? If I had to pick between the two knowing that Magnatec is full synthetic, I would pick it over the Edge. Castrol's marketing gets confusing at this point as the lines are blurred over which one is better. The Edge Gold is obviously better than Black but between Black and Magnatec it's a coin toss to me.

Actually I think Shannow had a power point presentation about the Dexos specification. But he did have the conversation you mention as well. Shannow has all the connections.

But yeah I agree that the Castrol Magnatec is quite good. The Castrol black Edge version has a whole lot of boron and a decent amount of molybdenum too. I wonder what is in the gold bottle Edge at this time. I would pick the Castrol Magnatec now over the black Edge container. It's that good now.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Based on the stupidity of that sign of the bottle I'd walk past it in a motor oil isle.

Yeah, I agree, the bottles look cheesy. If not for it being cheap at Advance Auto, I would have never looked twice at it.

I walked passed it for years for the same reason, that "Intelligent Molecules" thing just irked me. But I got over it and I now just read it as "polar molecules". The Australian Castrol Magnatec 5W30 is Full Synthetic and Euro A3/B4 rated, plus API SN. The North American brew is SN, GF-5 and Dexos. For me it's one of the best, high quality and good value for money, oils around.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Refreshed
Oh wow. I just looked up some threads and it seems I got my ideas of Fram from the opinions of the cheap orange can as opposed to the ExtraGuard. I believe it used to be referred to as the Orange Can Of Death. That's embarrassing. I've been missing out on a great filter all these years because of opinions I formed over 10 years ago. That's what I get for not checking in here more than once a decade. Time to catch up.

I've never seen anyone who knows what they are talking about "warn" people about the orange can. There's nothing about that filter that is worthy of being warned about, it may not be optimal but it's not going to damage anything. So the threads you looked up were just saying that some of the other filters sold by Fram were better?

There was an unscientific filter study done by a guy about 15-20 years ago. The "OCOD" filters had cardboard end-caps. But that was the previous manufacturer and they seemed to have improved quite a bit. Some made anecdotal claims of Frams grenading their engines after the filter imploded, but again, this was over a decade ago...

Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: blupupher

I walked passed it for years for the same reason, that "Intelligent Molecules" thing just irked me. But I got over it and I now just read it as "polar molecules". The Australian Castrol Magnatec 5W30 is Full Synthetic and Euro A3/B4 rated, plus API SN. The North American brew is SN, GF-5 and Dexos. For me it's one of the best, high quality and good value for money, oils around.

Totally agree I run MT in just about everything I own and frankly I see no point in spending more $ on other oil I don't think I am gaining anything for my hard earned money!

Originally Posted By: Camprunner

Totally agree I run MT in just about everything I own and frankly I see no point in spending more $ on other oil I don't think I am gaining anything for my hard earned money!

Yeah I hear you. Some people around here have asked me which oil to get for their car. I often advise Castrol Magnatec, as I know it's a good quality oil, very easy to find, and not wasteful of their hard earned money.

Well-- ( as the way Ronald Regan used to start a conversation) I've been using FRAM OCOD since the mid seventies and never had an oil-related engine issue
Steve

Well said SR5. Castrol Magnatec is going in my car after I am done running the last of my Havoline Pro DS. Sad that Havoline Pro DS will no longer be around my area very shortly.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Well said SR5. Castrol Magnatec is going in my car after I am done running the last of my Havoline Pro DS. Sad that Havoline Pro DS will no longer be around my area very shortly.

Totally agree. In my opinion, Chevron is really dropping the ball regarding Havoline. But we do have choices and since I use Valvoline and Castrol in addition to Havoline, the Magnatec is catching my attention. SR5 just posted that link to a user that ran Magnatec on a twin turbo motor with a stellar analysis. That is not the only UOA that has placed Magnatec in a good light. For the money it is possibly one of the best values in motor oil.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree Chevron is dropping the ball when it comes to their full synthetic oil. If it was in Walmart for $19.97 it would sell fairly well I bet. Price wise it would be inline with Castrol Magnatec. I think Castrol Magnatec 5w30, Mobil Super Synthetic 5w30, Formula Shell 5w30 and Valvoline Synpower will be my products to go to going forward.

While at WM yesterday I noticed the 5w30 FS Magnatec. There were 2 jugs of the Syn Blend version left on the shelf as well. I didn't need any 5w30 but if I did I'm wondering if Castrol cut back on the additive package when they went from a Gr. 2/3 mix base oil to all Gr.3 ? If the additives are the same then the FS would have to be an improvement.

The size of the additive package does not tell the quality of the oil. There are too many variables and components that do not show in analysis that add to the power of cleaning, anti friction, and anti wear. If you check that link above that SR5 posted of a UOA with Magnatec, you will see low ppm numbers regarding additives but also very low wear numbers. That report is as good as it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back